News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Honor MagicBook Pro 16 2024 - A multimedia laptop with a 165 Hz IPS panel and RTX 4060

Started by Redaktion, March 02, 2024, 18:42:49

Previous topic - Next topic

NikoB

Quote from: NikoB's Wife on March 04, 2024, 19:14:34High resolutions such as 4k and beyond absolutely murder battery life.
Absolutely not, with the right hardware and drivers, when running on battery power, you can switch to fhd@60Hz mode instead of 4k and dramatically increase battery life at the cost of text clarity. But why suffer so much from PSU?

Quote from: NikoB's Wife on March 04, 2024, 19:14:34I could not read your entire post as it was too long.
I often see this on forums from younger generations. Generations of Twitter and TikTok. They are not able to read a sufficiently light and short text.

I wonder what will happen if they are offered some kind of "scientific" article, a little more complicated?

For example, this one - www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-04024-z
Can you handle it?

Your nickname itself says that you are simply being rude, your intentions are not a search for truth, but a process and gaslighting.

NikoB's Imaginary Wife

Quote from: NikoB on March 04, 2024, 19:23:27when running on battery power, you can switch to fhd@60Hz mode instead of 4k and dramatically increase battery life at the cost of text clarity
outside of gaming changing screen resolution or refresh rate will provide a very small battery life extension.
because - surprise surprise - screen backlighting is the biggest consumer

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on March 04, 2024, 19:23:27Absolutely not, with the right hardware and drivers, when running on battery power, you can switch to fhd@60Hz mode instead of 4k and dramatically increase battery life at the cost of text clarity.
Just switching to a lower-resolution mode most definitely won't help with battery life because the 4K panel is still taking higher amount of power (than a FHD panel) regardless of what data is sent to it. The power savings will not come from the display when you lower the resolution; the saving come from the GPU because it doesn't have to render as many pixels. Switching to lower refresh rate will help though.

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on March 04, 2024, 19:33:45because the 4K panel is still taking higher amount of power (than a FHD panel) regardless of what data is sent to it
doesn't even matter compared to lamp(s)

lmao

usually what you see in nbc reviews for 'idle min/med' consumption is basically min/max brightness with wifi/bt off, and it's a fucking lot usually, 5->14 watts for this laptop

NikoB

The amount of data sent in fhd mode is exactly 4 (four) times less and the load on the RAM and processor, as well as on the gpu, is 4 times less. The panel electronics itself also understands that it needs to turn 4k pixels on and off individually, or they can be grouped in 2x2 operations in fhd mode, which greatly speeds up the exchange of the panel controller with the matrix.

Therefore, everything written above is simply nonsense from a technical point of view. If a 4k panel (and a laptop with it) in fhd@60Hz mode does not sharply reduce consumption (excluding the backlight brightness, which is the same in both fhd and 4k mode for IPS), then this is the direct fault of the careless developers of such a panel - in fhd@60fps mode Nothing except the backlight prevents her from reducing consumption. And the load on the processor/gpu drops exactly 4 times, although consumption decreases non-linearly.

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on March 06, 2024, 19:38:20mode does not sharply reduce consumption
lmao yeah it 'sharply reduces' consumption from e.g. 500mW to 400mW, while backlighting still consumes several Watts
Quote from: NikoB on March 06, 2024, 19:38:20And the load on the processor/gpu drops exactly 4 times
lol it's not about the "load" it's about how many cores are powered and what their frequency is. showing desktop@4k is around minimal frequency, load is non-existent, you can't go lower.
Quote from: NikoB on March 06, 2024, 19:38:20above is simply nonsense from a technical point of view
in your alternate reality yeah, maybe

lmao

checked gpu power consumption with two screens, mbp 16 + 5k external - 0.02-0.03 watts with two fullscreen browsers lol, if i turn external screen off - still 0.02-0.03w
with 4K video running on built-in screen - 0.11w, if i turn off external screen completely while still playing video - 0.09w
if i crank brightness on built-in screen - +7.00w

so yeah, in this universe nikob is wrong as usual, gpu doesn't really give a f*** about resolution outside of gaming, because it's zero load for anything modern enough. you can save much more just by lowering your brightness.

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on March 07, 2024, 14:35:35The idiot, as usual, writes technical nonsense and does not understand it himself, like a typical madman.
HAHAH your typical machine translated butthurt after you've got your a** served you on a dish again lmao

hater

Quote from: lmao on March 06, 2024, 20:05:00mbp 16

Giving stats for a MBP is kinda irrelevant to the conversation tho. Apple has always done their own thing which is to operate completely differently from everyone else on the market.

Could you give an example of something that isn't MBP?

lmao

Quote from: hater on March 07, 2024, 16:52:11kinda irrelevant
feel free to provide facts it's 'kinda irrelevant' and there's a difference between gpus first and then we will continue conversation. be more specific why you want me to start pulling my intel machines out of the table.
because right now you want me to prove you something just because of your random assumption gpus are all done 'completely differently'. they are not, apple gpu is just your average gpu.

hater

Quote from: lmao on March 07, 2024, 17:21:06facts

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-2019-Laptop-Review-The-second-generation-of-Lenovo-s-premier-multimedia-laptop-has-gotten-worse.453860.0.html

"Battery life is the Achilles' heel of the X1 Extreme Gen 2, at least if you opt for the matte 4K panel. In our normal Wi-Fi test, which we conduct by setting the display to 150 cd/m², our review unit cannot even manage 5 hours before it needs recharging. Worse still, this value dropped to just over 4 hours when we re-ran it at maximum brightness. If battery life is important to you, then you should opt for a 1080p display. We tested the ThinkPad P1 2019 with a 1080p panel, for example, and this achieved almost twice as long runtimes as our X1 Extreme Gen 2 review unit does."

lmao

daaaamn
don't you see it's about two different laptops?
Quote from: hater on March 08, 2024, 02:42:40X1 Extreme
Quote from: hater on March 08, 2024, 02:42:40ThinkPad P1 2019
different laptops, different cpus, different gpus, different performance loss in low power mode on battery.
the one with 1080p even has higher idle power consumption and then wins the battery life test.

why am i not surprised by the quality of these 'facts'.
can change nickname but couldn't get rid of low-effort commenting style, yeah?

Neenyah

P1 and X1 Extreme is identical laptop (like T14 and P14s) with ISV certification for the P1 and with some options (before Gen 6) without dGPU. They discontinued X1 Extreme because, well, it's literally identical laptop.

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on March 08, 2024, 05:41:08P1 and X1 Extreme is identical laptop (like T14 and P14s) with ISV certification for the P1 and with some options (before Gen 6) without dGPU. They discontinued X1 Extreme because, well, it's literally identical laptop.
check out configs they were reviewing, it's a paragraph from nbc article

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview