News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

I believe in ray tracing, but I do not believe in Nvidia's RTX 3000-series GPUs

Started by Redaktion, December 13, 2020, 04:46:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It is possible to believe in real-time ray tracing while also at the same time acknowledging that the RTX 3000-series GPUs have, basically, no place in that future.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/I-believe-in-ray-tracing-but-I-do-not-believe-in-Nvidia-s-RTX-3000-series-GPUs.509180.0.html

Erik

"The first one has to do with the fact that my very own RTX 2060 (mobile) is simply not capable of using any ray-tracing effects in any modern title. "

So you're using the mobile version of the weakest ray-tracing capable GPU in order to make your point about the RTX-3000 series and its future. This has to be one of the reddest red herring that I have ever seen.

Star

You misunderstand the point. The point is that the RTX 3000-series GPUs will struggle with ray tracing in the future just as much as the RTX 2000-series GPUs--especially low-end ones--do today.

Star

But of course, and it is not even really worth mentioning, high-end cards will age better than low-end ones. But you won't get a high-end RTX experience with 3000-series cards 2 or so years into the future.

Arc

Your quote/title and picture of HUB's Steve is confusing and clickbaitey. It gives the impression that this is Steve's quote until clicking on the article. I know that's the only reason I clicked on it.

A

I realized Nvidia was evil when I had 3 laptops die on me only to learn Nvidia bribed vendors to take failed GPUs. There was a class action lawsuit that we "won", but in reality we learned Nvidia and our own lawyers were in cahoots with each other. Lawyers made more than everyone combined, and Nvidia paid out less than 1/10th of what they promised.

And yes, I've been saying it all along, ray tracing simply doesn't dish out enough performance to be that useful yet. In a few years that might change with next generation cards, but at this point with limited game support and subpar performance it simply isn't worth it yet.

At this point its main selling point is taking pretty screenshots. But I'd opt for a card with better rasterization performance until we get better gpus.

TruthIsThere

The author is blaming 100 on NVIDIA, but what about AMDs lackluster to RT performance, DLSS-like alternative and they had years to work out the early RTX low performance that NVIDIA cards showed, especially with its new 6000 series that's on a much better 7nm process?

And what about MS, the ultimate supporter / SPONSOR for RT, MS doesn't get any blame for not FULLY supporting by now RT titles that has been on the market for 2-years+?

AMD is the bigger loser here considering the above facts that they had years to build RT features / support to crush NVIDIA due to its new consoles and gpus are directly working with devs more than NVIDIA.

Blame goes everywhere from the devs poor RT optimization to the the top dogs AMD, NVIDIA and especially MS.

SHARE THE BLAME, DO NOT CONTAIN IT!

A

@TruthIsThere - I think you are confused about something. AMD didn't oversell raytracing like Nvidia did. They fully knew ray tracing is a good time away and it wasn't their main focus. Their main focus was on things that did matter which is higher raw performance.

As for titles not supporting ray tracing, that's a given. Gaming titles are worked on for years, they can't just change their production cycle when release is around the corner. And considering how little users have cards that support ray tracing, many didn't think it was worth the resources to devote to yet.

Again, the title isn't raytracing is dead. It's that raytracing isn't that great in the current generation. This was the same thing with other previous technologies, remember how long tessellation took to take off? Of course it was also promoted at the time, but not as hard as ray tracing.

MattMexor

This is so ugly. You power-hungry hacks. People get an audience and they become drunk on power. They use the dark motives of bands anonymous followers also drunk on group power. And then all of them, the leaders and the followers, convince themselves they've done some great justice. You people are the evil ones. The "influencers" and the anonymous hordes acting without responsibility or consequence. Well, you overestimate your reach. No one cares what you think about the 3000 series and we can see your real reason for writing this post, anyway. No one will tremble before you. So crawl back in your hole.

Kieron Fleming

Pretty sure if you purchased a rtx 3080 in 2 -3 years you'll upgrade your card to the next generation we are running computers after all not consoles so expecting something to run future titles at high frames in a few years down the track is pretty dumb.

Mark58

I've just read a very strange article.
If you don't believe in the most powerful gaming gpu, then what do you believe in?
I'm not convinced by RT. It's way too subtle to be seen in the height of action. You can only see it when you stand and look. What happens to you then? Of course the enemy get you.
But there's way more to the 30 series than RT. There's brute force. Raw power. I have the 3090. Cyberpunk 2077 looks truly astounding at 4k ultra with RT and hdr. No other gpu can run the game at this level of quality.
Proper hdr is way more important than Rt at present. I don't mean the useless 400 nit version of hdr that most monitors deliver (at best) I mean hdr around 1000 nits.
Take a look at cyberpunk 2077 that's run at this level and tell me the 3090 is a card to be dismissed

NVIDIA is evil

Jeez, what a load of NVIDIA zealots doing justice for the evil green

Or are you guys already bought the card and commented such awful things just not to be feel so bad regarding your bad buying, huh?

Shame on you and shame on NVIDIA!

NVIDIA is evil

Quote from: Kieron Fleming on December 13, 2020, 07:24:54
Pretty sure if you purchased a rtx 3080 in 2 -3 years you'll upgrade your card to the next generation we are running computers after all not consoles so expecting something to run future titles at high frames in a few years down the track is pretty dumb.

Not everyone has enough money to buy flagship card every then and now and heck, it is rational for thinking that it MUST BE sufficient for further years considering the money one has to pay for it, if it ain't, then it doesn't deserve the 3080 name and high price tag

You cannot generalize that everyone can buy next generation card as they want and cannot one see that this is starting more and more like a planned obsolescence? The flagship from Maxwell and Kepler era's years of life are even longer than from Turing and Ampere era, now it is only sufficient for only further 2-3 years and we have to accept it? Hell no, use your mind, people, godammit!

Muhammad Anhar

I have used RTX 2070 laptop for months and I couldn't think of being  interesting with RT and DLSS despite I have some games support them. I would guarantee GTX 1660 laptops are the value for perfomance for years, until Nvidia wants to release newer GTX GPUs again.

L

@NVIDIA is evil
If someone cannot afford expensive hardware then too bad, I have never had top end GPUs but I fully understand the nee to develop RT until it gets more mainstream. Don't stop it because only few have money to use it. FYI, I use a 1660Ti and I don't complain. New technology was always expensive, I don't see people complaining about the price of first ssds..

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview