News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP ZBook Studio G5 (i7, P1000, 4K) Workstation Review

Started by Redaktion, November 25, 2018, 01:15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The ZBook Studio is now available in its third iteration – though it may seem a bit odd that this model is named "G5". Apart from the weird naming, the ZBook Studio G5 seems to be a promising piece of hardware with a combination of many desirable features: A large battery, a 4K display and a Unibody chassis – what could go wrong?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ZBook-Studio-G5-i7-P1000-4K-Workstation-Review.366051.0.html

Mateusz

Natural competitor for Studio G5 is Dell's 7530, not 5530. According to your test, however, HP's solution seems to be a better one.

Speaking of comparisons - when can we expect a review of Precision 7730? It is already one of the most discussed models out there, dedicated topic on NBR has already almost 200 pages..

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: Mateusz on December 14, 2018, 13:55:30Natural competitor for Studio G5 is Dell's 7530, not 5530.
I would definitely disagree with this. The natural competitor of the Dell Precision 7530 is the HP ZBook 15 G5, not the ZBook Studio G5. Both the Precision 7530 and the ZBook 15 are the more traditional mobile workstations with thicker chassis, while the ZBook Studio is much thinner and closer to the Precision 5530.

Mateusz

Ah, indeed, I misread dimensions chart, sorry for that! It is indeed more similar to 5530. Good temps considering the size and 6 cores..

Speaking of competition and bigger workstations - any plans for reviewing bigger players? Dell's 7730 / Lenovo's P72?

Sieg

Would be nice if you also compared it somewhat with the previous version, namely the Zbook Studio G4.
The reason I am saying this, is that I've owned both, and while the main components used, i.e. CPU, GPU, etc, are definitely an upgrade from the predecessor, i.e. 8750h vs 7700HQ, and P1000 vs M1200, the overall build quality is significantly lower in my opinion.
The chassis of the predecessor was more akin to the sturdy shell of an macbook, while the new one feels more flimsy, and in fact the plastic top bends and can touch the monitor from the inside. The internal configuration of components was also better, however the addition of a second exhaust vent works well enough for heat dissipation. Another gripe I have with the new version is the change of touchpad, since the one on the G4 had a tiny button on the top left, which when double-tapped, turned it on/off, something very useful when using a mouse instead, while in the G5 I have to go through Windows to achieve a similar result, which is rather buggy.
Good review in other regards, however it is my opinion that it's not only against its competitors that a product should be compared against, but also against its previous versions.

Dreamcolor

Those looks like a good machine and prices have significantly come done. However, it's hard to find more info about it, very few videos of owners on YouTube (the x360 version is more popular here).

I would be especially interested in knowing how the 600nits DreamColor display is performing and whether it has a similar impact on battery life as the 400nit 4K version.

Artem

My laptop is now 3 years, battery wear 30%, youtube over wifi test, 50% brightness 3.5 hours battery life. I also unlocked mac cores parking if needed, and max CPU freq. set to 3800Mhz.
So basically in real life, there are no 10 hours with wifi. GPU is P1000, and there is no built-in graphic adapter. With Solidworks running will last for 1-2 hours only 4k, maybe more with 2k.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview