News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (i7, P1000, FHD) Workstation Review

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2018, 00:53:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Despite the media attention stylish ultrabook workstations such as Dell's XPS 15 receive traditional portable workstations like the Lenovo ThinkPad P52 are still the backbone of the workstation market. How well does the latest release of Lenovo's conventional ThinkPad powerhouse do? Find out in our extensive review!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P52-i7-P1000-FHD-Workstation-Review.322974.0.html

orly13

QuoteDespite the media attention stylish ultrabook workstations such as Dell's XPS 15 receive traditional portable workstations like the Lenovo ThinkPad P52 are still the backbone of the workstation market
Dell Precision is fine at itself. Thanks.

Alex Angas

Thanks for the review!

"Dell's Precision 7530 and HP's ZBook 15 G5, and are looking forward to reviewing these two as soon as possible."

Time to update your upcoming reviews list then!

emmanne

Correction on Verdict section:

QuoteAccordingly, we have some serious doubts regarding the more powerful Core i7-7700HQ and Quadro P3200 SKUs.

should have been

QuoteAccordingly, we have some serious doubts regarding the more powerful Core i7-8850H and Quadro P3200 SKUs.

In addition, it would be great if you could add a picture of the 96 Wh battery showing its specifications :)

Vance

Please add a model number and details for the (seemingly odd) 96 Wh battery, thanks.

Benjamin Herzig

The battery is just the regular Lenovo battery that is shipped with the P52. It just happened to have 96 Wh instead of 90 Wh (its nominal specification)

Owrlly?

You are telling us the ShytePad P52 with double the thickness, weight and double the theoretical capacity for cooling can only bring 2% more performance than the hardcore throttling Dell XPS 9570 using the same i7-8750H?

This means the latter has relatively efficient cooling with regard to its volume.

Without undervolting values it is difficult to see how much potential it could squeeze out.

Undervolting could set this website apart from all these other same-old-same-old laptop review sites.

Benjamin Herzig

@Owrlly?,

neither the Dell XPS 15 9570 nor the Lenovo ThinkPad P52 do "hardcore throttle", because throttling would be when the CPU can't sustain the base clock-speed value. What the XPS and the ThinkPad can not do is run at the max. turbo clock-speed indefinitely, but that is not throttling.

Regarding the cooling system, the base model of the P52 has a cooling system with two fans and a single heatpipe (higher end models with P2000 and P3200 GPUs have a different cooling system). The Dell XPS 15 has two fans and two heatpipes, so yes, it has a stronger cooling system to compensate for its smaller size and thickness. Despite this, the P52 runs cooler overall.

Undervolting unfortunately is not normally a part of our reviews, it is only done for special interest machines.

dthrp

@Benjamin Herzig,

Please do a review of the Elitebook 1050 G1 with gtx 1050.

emmanne

Another correction

On Performance - Processor section:

QuoteWith all four cores running at 4.1 GHz the CPU would require much more energy than just 45 W.

should have been

QuoteWith all six cores running at 4.1 GHz the CPU would require much more energy than just 45 W.

emmanne

@Benjamin Herzig

That's a relief to know that variants with P2000 and P3200 have a different and probably much better cooling solution. I'm looking forward for NotebookCheck's review (specifically on the performance and temperatures) on the P52 with the i7-8850H and P2000/P3200 specs!

NikoB

Why is there no table with noise data at standard consumption levels, which are measured below in other table? Why is there always such a mess, that is, such a table, then it is not there.
How much is noise with "Idle Max" and "Load Average"? Editorial staff, readers should guess on the coffee grounds?

gugi

Hi, how is the test of the HP ZBook 15 G5 coming along? Any Infos?
Thanks.

Galaxy

Quoteand the (in our case empty) WWAN slot. The antennas were already installed in our unit. All things considered,

Would you show us the photo of antennas and where to install it ?

It seems mine come without antennas. And I want to know how to add them.
(http://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrsxZ1EWoAIwCLt.jpg)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview