News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 14 laptop review: Intel Arc confronts Radeon 780M

Started by Redaktion, March 08, 2024, 18:45:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the Core Ultra processors, Intel would finally like to catch up to AMD when it comes to iGPU performance. We have reviewed the Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 14 to see whether they can manage that. Will Intel's comeback be a success?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-Pro-7-14-laptop-review-Intel-Arc-confronts-Radeon-780M.810926.0.html

lmao

tldr amd got raped by intel in gaming while winning by a bit in cpu benchemarks

Julian M

Quote from: lmao on March 08, 2024, 19:46:52tldr amd got raped by intel in gaming while winning by a bit in cpu benchemarks
Arc or 780M is the battle of the midgets, glad Intel was finally able to win anything with Arc.

Not sure why this should matter to anyone anyway, nobody is going to buy this notebook for gaming.

lmao

Quote from: Julian M on March 08, 2024, 21:26:20Arc or 780M is the battle of the midgets
imo igpus are the future of gaming, like 5 years ago no one could say they will ever be used for gaming at all, and in 2024 we have all those handhelds and business laptops that actually can game while maintaining sane power consumption. it's great. the harder these guys pound each the faster and better igpus we will get.
Quote from: Julian M on March 08, 2024, 21:26:20nobody is going to buy this notebook for gaming
everyone plays something from time to time

Ciro

Really impressed to see such a strong showing, at launch meteorlake was not competitive and was losing to the 780M and zen4(both cpu and gpu), looks like with the polished drivers/Bios, meteorlake is competitive with zen4 and besting it in most categories. Good showing Intel

Bagad

QuoteThe stress test using the Furmark and Prime95 tools tipped the processor over the 100 °C mark and occasionally higher. In The Witcher 3, we only recorded an average of almost 70 °C.

Honestly the temperatures are really bad. My last laptop had similar temperatures and the thermal paste dried out quickly as f... Had to repaste every 3 months.

Precisely because of such high temperatures (which seem to be common with the new Meteor Lake chips), it is absurd that laptops and mini-pcs still only get cheap cooling solutions. Just make it the f... bigger and build in a decent cooling fan!

Neenyah

Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 12:25:07
QuoteThe stress test using the Furmark and Prime95 tools tipped the processor over the 100 °C mark and occasionally higher. In The Witcher 3, we only recorded an average of almost 70 °C.

Honestly the temperatures are really bad.
That's an excellent temp for gaming, 70°C is nothing. Furmark and Prime95 are far from realistic workloads, they are stress tests and you can't get those temps anywhere but there, not even in most demanding games. Chassis highest recorded with Flir was 43°C.

Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 12:25:07My last laptop had similar temperatures and the thermal paste dried out quickly as f... Had to repaste every 3 months.

Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pad(s) or Arctic Cooling MX-4 thermal paste are what you looking for. Not cheap low-quality paste.

-

Edit: The main reason why is this laptop to be avoided is, well are, its hinges. All Yogas suffer from this where their hinges and bottom bezel/lid just explode as they are glued in: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/14gkknk/lenovo_yoga_7i_broke/

ALL YOGAS. No exceptions (which is why they don't use that name for ThinkPad 2in1s anymore, because of bad rep, and because it rarely ever happens with ThinkPads as they use screws instead of glue). Lenovo will replace it free of charge under warranty but it will unavoidably happen again. And it's happening for many years now, still no change, this is a post from 4 years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/gwt870/lenovo_yoga_hinges_are_defective_and_break/

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on March 09, 2024, 12:33:1270°C is nothing
even 100c is nothing actually if cpu is smart enough to stay around it with throttling.
manufacturers are mostly concerned about keeping case at <~45-47c so user doesn't say it is hot to the touch. probably that's even their only metric.

Bagad

Quote from: Neenyah on March 09, 2024, 12:33:12That's an excellent temp for gaming, 70°C is nothing. Furmark and Prime95 are far from realistic workloads, they are stress tests and you can't get those temps anywhere but there, not even in most demanding games.

Of course the 70°C are nothing. My mistake for quoting that.

I obviously meant the 107°C under load. This is awful.

And I disagree that this is an "unrealistic" case: Whenever I was gaming on my old laptop it produced the same stress as the so-called "unrealistic stress tests" from Notebookcheck. Thus I also had temperatures of 95-105°C, and it made the thermal paste dry out quickly.

So you're telling me Arctic Cooling MX 4 is better? I was using Arctic Silver 5... But I'll try that MX4 then, although it sounds strange given the lower number...

lmao

Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 15:55:08So you're telling me Arctic Cooling MX 4 is better? I was using Arctic Silver 5... But I'll try that MX4 then, although it sounds strange given the lower number...
i'd say your problem with thermal paste is not 100c
arctic ones are rated for continuous use up to 140-150c
might be a bad batch or counterfeit paste
does it actually start overheating or you consider +2C a 'time to repaste' signal

Bagad

Quote from: lmao on March 09, 2024, 16:55:50arctic ones are rated for continuous use up to 140-150c
might be a bad batch or counterfeit paste
does it actually start overheating or you consider +2C a 'time to repaste' signal

When I put the thermal paste on, temperatures go to 85°C maximum in gaming. But after like 3-4 months, maybe spending 60 hours gaming, temperatures continuously rise and then reach 120°C and computer emergency shutdown.

It must be because the chip gets sooo hot, that it kills the thermal paste - within very few months.

And that's why I am concerned when I already see temperatures of 107°C on Meteor Lake already. A mere 15 degrees away from thermal shutdown. And multiple tech channels on youtube have shown similar temperatures, so it's not a single case with the Yoga. I'm a bit frustrated by that.

lmao

Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 17:54:16maybe spending 60 hours gaming
that doesn't sound normal, i'd say try a different paste/batch and a trusty supplier (official shop preferable)

Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 17:54:16And that's why I am concerned when I already see temperatures of 107°C on Meteor Lake already
meh, i'd say its fine, they use throttling now to let cpus into 100-110 zone. apple does it for 4 years already, no signs of mass repasting or any trouble.

Bagad

Quote from: lmao on March 09, 2024, 18:34:23
Quote from: Bagad on March 09, 2024, 17:54:16And that's why I am concerned when I already see temperatures of 107°C on Meteor Lake already
meh, i'd say its fine, they use throttling now to let cpus into 100-110 zone. apple does it for 4 years already, no signs of mass repasting or any trouble.

Yeah, it will "survive", as did my old laptop after dozens of emergency shutdowns. But it's clearly subpar. And to avoid throttling you'll probably have to repaste every couple of months.

The same Yoga laptop tested with AMD and 780m (also having 55W PL1) reaches 78°C under stress... that's almost 30 degrees below. I mean wtf...??

I wouldn't care that much about the heat, if these computers (laptops, mini pcs) would get proper cooling solutions. Because Meteor Lake obviously requires something better than the usual cheap coolers.

In fact I'm more annoyed by the fact, that companies still don't do that. That they still cheap out on coolers in laptops, or use the same minimalistic coolers in NUCs, instead of making the case  2 cm larger and enabling it for bigger coolers or even low profile desktop coolers.

lmao

Quote from: Bagad on March 10, 2024, 11:44:28I wouldn't care that much about the heat, if these computers (laptops, mini pcs) would get proper cooling solutions. Because Meteor Lake obviously requires something better than the usual cheap coolers.
it's not about cooling solution, it's the new paradigm to keep noise down - let silicon heat up then start cooling.
it shouldn't be affecting thermal paste, try a different one, make sure it's not counterfeit.

geogjr2

I own this laptop, and I have the suspicion that I've got faulty system. From tests, the battery life is much larger (>3x) than mine.
I tried everything (reinstalling drivers, firmware, system, ...) and I cannot get the same battery life.
The best thing for me would be to reproduce the test, and have the number to compare. What settings should I use ? 60Hz/120/auto ? Battery saver on/off ? In case of web browsing, what browser?

Any more suggestions with my issue ? I checked HWinfo, and my cpu just draws 7-10W on idle, which should me more like 4W ...

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview