News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 14 laptop review: Intel Arc confronts Radeon 780M

Started by Redaktion, March 08, 2024, 18:45:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotz

Quote from: geogjr2 on March 11, 2024, 17:42:34I own this laptop, and I have the suspicion that I've got faulty system. From tests, the battery life is much larger (>3x) than mine.

My guess is that you have set a higher display brightness than in the review.

Quote from: articleIn our Wi-Fi test at 150 cd/m² reduced brightness

ondrej

I've this laptop for like 3 days. For such a cheap laptop not entirely bad. Comming from Matebook X Pro there are a few issues for me personally. However I could understand someone else would not find this to be a problem at all.

- High pitched whining sound comming from the fans. The fans are often working even on low and moderate load. They are not loud per se, but the specific frequency drives me crazy. Very bothersome to the point I'm already looking for another laptop. That said, I've also tested the bit older AMD version which was even worse. I've also got a Yoga 7 Slim from like 3 years ago, which is much much better, you can only see the air passing.
- Altough the display is nice and clear, the maximum brightness is limiting and it's definitely a big step down from Huawei's Matebook.
- This is the only laptop out of 4 laptops with USB-C PD I've recently tested which is not able to power a small external display using a single cable.

All in all, I would NOT buy it again.

brhda

I have this laptop, everything has been fine except the low brightness setting on the keyboard backlight. When it's set to auto or high it's fine, but when set to low, every key press dims the whole keyboard while it's pressed. Anyone else have this issue or is mine broken? I would send it to warranty but it's sold out everywhere and i doubt they can fix it. I only noticed this after a bios update, noy sure if it was there before.

NikoB

I don't believe in the author's data about PL1=55W, because the result in CBR15 does not correlate with other results of this SoC(CPU). It should be significantly lower.

desss

I just bought it. I had a slim 7 with 4700u. Unfortunately this review missed to indicate that the new keyboard with long 1.5mm key travel is very stiff, buttons are hard to press and I'm having so many missed. The typing experience compared to my previous slim is significantly worse. I think I'll give it back for another slim, hoping for the best. Also the 3k display makes NO sense at all and it's only giving a lot of headaches while used in a multimonitor environment where this is the only one needing 175% scaling. There are many disadvantages in multimonitor setup, be warned!!!

Hotz

Quote from: NikoB on March 21, 2024, 12:24:45I don't believe in the author's data about PL1=55W, .... It should be significantly lower.

Multiple reviews (including outside of Notebookcheck) have shown that Meteor Lake generally performs bad on low base power, but better on higher base power. It really needs its 50-65 watts base power to unfold its performance.

That's also why it always loses in low power benchmarks against AMD. But at 50+ watts it seems to catch up. It seems to scale better upwards than AMD.

It is what it is... maybe an architectural thing. Not sure that can be changed anymore by drivers.

NikoB

Quote from: desss on April 14, 2024, 13:31:58Also the 3k display makes NO sense at all and it's only giving a lot of headaches while used in a multimonitor environment where this is the only one needing 175% scaling.
I have already written many times that developers are behaving like idiots, because only 4k is as comfortable as possible and is hardware compatible with 4k and fhd video with perfect pixel sharpness. And at the same time it has a scaling of 200%. Moreover, if anyone wants to play 4K, it can easily be switched to fhd with a decrease in the load on the gpu by exactly 4 times, with a sharp increase in fps.

It is clearly visible that the vile Lenovo marketers are deliberately forcing Lenovo engineers (or rather black slaves) to do similar nonsense, as with idiotic 2.5k screens that are also completely incompatible with 4k and fhd video.

For 5 years now, all laptop screens have been required to be only 4K and nothing else. With the same ppi as on smartphones, especially considering that Google deliberately spoils the eyesight of all people who use Chrome-like browsers for Windows with non-disabled cloudy text black and white anti-aliasing, which I have proven many times.

To prevent your eyes from getting tired and to avoid endless harmful refocusing from the text to its pixel structure (which should not be visible at all) due to the slightest movement of the head closer to the screen and back, ppi should be no lower than 220-230. And this is only possible with 4k screens at 15.6"+.

At the same time, 4k monitors are not enough and there is a minimum of only 8k. But to the shame of the entire IT industry, there are still no discrete cards or igpus with real support for DP2.0+ in UHBR20 (80Gbps) mode, in which you can get 8k resolution in lossless mode.

These are sad facts when the capitalist greed of the owners of large corporations deliberately slows down progress on planet Earth and spoils the health and vision of billions of people.

Neenyah

Quote from: desss on April 14, 2024, 13:31:58Also the 3k display makes NO sense at all and it's only giving a lot of headaches while used in a multimonitor environment where this is the only one needing 175% scaling. There are many disadvantages in multimonitor setup, be warned!!!
175% would give you 1755.42x1097.14 which is plain weird. What's wrong with 150% (2048x1280) or 200%?

3072x1920 at 200% scaling is 1536x960 with beautiful extra sharpness and clarity, basically the same as 14" MacBooks at Default "Looks like 1512x982" (with their 3024x1964 panels), and this here is also a 14" display. That is about perfect for a 14" screen.

How are there disadvantages in a multimonitor setup? Don't use custom scaling (yes, it sucks with multimonitor setup) and use any scaling you want/like/wish on your external monitor(s) - there is no any issue even if you use 200% (1536x960) on your laptop, 100% (2560x1440) on your 1440p monitor and 200% (1920x1080) on your another 4K monitor, so three display with completely different scalings and resolutions.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview