News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Playstation 5 soldered 825 GB SSD puts a hard limit on the lifespan of each retail unit

Started by Redaktion, October 09, 2020, 02:30:02

Previous topic - Next topic

snarls200

Quote from: Can on October 10, 2020, 06:19:22
It is not true, the device has a m2 ssd slot which is empty. You can increase the storage capacity anytime.

Currdntly no extrnal drives are compataible to play PS5 games directly from the drive.

They using different drives than PS4.  Though those external devices will let you play PS4 games from it

Bp968

This makes me wonder how they plan to handle "twitch" and YouTube recordings?  A good example is nvidias software that runs like a DVR while your gaming, writing and rewriting a 20-100gb section of drive so you can always have the ability to save a video clip from the past 10-30 minutes depending on settings.  Most PC gamers are warned *not* to enable this feature on an SSD and to use it on your HDD instead.  If you leave a game running and it constantly runs that DVR feature at 1GB per minute then if you leave it idling over night (12 hours) thats 720gb of wear on the drive in 1 12 hour episode.  Do that another 599 times (do able in a year) and you could easily grind that SSD into the dust.  The soldiered to the board was a bad plan imo.  They shod have used a standard plug interface or even a proprietary 8xpcie plug if they needed the bandwidth, just as long as its a *plug*.

We will see i guess.

Fex

Well, it's complicated. Once I had a ps3 die on me because one of the internal memory modules died. The PS3 had a few gigs of internal rom to store part of the OS, as the OS grew with each release, part of the HDD was used as well. Maybe it should be a modular part that can be easily replaced.

Brad

Just learn how to micro solder and then you will do much better in life anyway. Then you can repair almost any piece of technology you have.

Chad Hay

I don't think its something we should worry about i have an ssd from the sandy bridge days and its lifespan is still in the 80's and it was an os drive for awhile now its used to play one games.

staticvoidmain

Quote from: sadsadas on October 09, 2020, 09:08:17
I have a lot of HDDs from Seagate, 1x 3TB 3.5", 2x 5 TB 2
I have had a few HDDs of my own and frankly the Seagate ones were the worst and most of them failed miserably or had issues in accessing data after ~3 years of use.

I just wanted to comment that I still do not trust seagate to this day. many failed drives. many lost memories.

Rem

😕 ??? It's the year 2020, we aren't in the year 2000.

If you know anything about computers. then you would know this fact already. most of the time if a SSD drive goes bad on you. Most of the time you can still retrieve the files.

Also seeing how they are pushing for more digital downloads sony should be offering full system back up through the cloud. This way everyone info will be safe and saved. So this issue won't be a problem going forward to PS6.

I'm sure Sony has thought this through. This just seems to be more of a scare tactic that people pull when ever there is a new system coming out. Places like gamestop fear all digital games because that means they will be out of business. Then you have the haters of playstaton, people looking to sell new system at a mark up for profits and the people mad they didn't one. Just consider that before you listen to people. 😝

CHRIS HUNT

I'm sure when it comes to right to repair they'll be fights but if they didn't do it like I've seen in the apple videos (everything encrypted and tied to everything on the board) the right person should be able to mess with but I'm hoping you can change which is the primary drive and iqnore the built in.

I was more worried when I've seen some of the xbox demoa where they are always installing the back memory expansion card. The xbox could get interesting if it had no internal and it was all on that external card [possible arrg?].

J

Sony and PlayStation have for years been giving us the middle finger. They go to great lengths the screw us over, yet the PlayStation simps will continue throwing money at them which allows them to keep doing it....

J-Pow

I'd be curious if they could implement a firmware update that checks for a boot OS on the secondary M.2 SSD in the event of failure of the primary drive.

Dumbpplikeyou

Quote from: J on October 10, 2020, 18:26:21
Sony and PlayStation have for years been giving us the middle finger. They go to great lengths the screw us over, yet the PlayStation simps will continue throwing money at them which allows them to keep doing it....
How about Microsoft and the red ring of death? Or their try at the anti consumer policy's on Xbox One?
What about Nintendo and their over charging peripherals and the drifting joycons which they are still denying? And how they are constantly shutting down the community by taking down YouTube videos, fangames and tournaments?

TERRENCE SQUIER

The 825 NVMe is the SSD and can be upgraded , but I find think it will need to be . I am a mid range computer builder . The new NVMe SSD helps make the PS5 100 times faster . The last time I looked the loading time for games was going to be .85 of a second .

Safer

I dont know why people are freaking out. Every single system from ps1 to ps4 has never died on me or needed a single peice to be replaced. Minus controllers (looking at you orphan of kos).  I'm eager to get my hands on the new system and im waiting impatienly for God of War 2. Let the ps5 era begin.

John Meier

Quote from: Dumbpplikeyou on October 10, 2020, 19:56:06
Quote from: J on October 10, 2020, 18:26:21
How about Microsoft and the red ring of death? Or their try at the anti consumer policy's on Xbox One?
What about Nintendo and their over charging peripherals and the drifting joycons which they are still denying? And how they are constantly shutting down the community by taking down YouTube videos, fangames and tournaments?
Whataboutism

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview