News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

We demand more small phones!

Started by Redaktion, September 01, 2020, 02:02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

compactdream

You have not lost hope after the iPhone SE 2 didn't trigger a bunch of similar Android-devices releases?

Aleksandr Demakin

What about Flip Z? At least, it fits a pocket, when folded.
I've been using XZ1C for a couple of years, it's not bad, but it stuck with Android 9, and where are no alternatives in terms of size nowadays.
I have such a feeling, that all vendors think, that bigger==better, but it is not, at least, not for everyone.

phila_delphia

+1 from me. The phones I used have grown bigger and bigger over the years...

I`d use a small phone if it had the featues you mentioned:

- Headphone jack
- micro SD
- decent camera

However - I do admit that i have grown used to those really astonishing battery sizes ;-)

Best regards

phila

A.

I am writing this on my Nokia 5 from 2017, and have no intention of replacing it with any newer phone. Android 9, 5.2" screen and a resolution of 720p in 16:9 format seem like the golden standard for me (for less than 80 Euros!). I can only hope that the future lower end phones from Nokia will stick to these standards. Until then, I'm not buying.

MartinWesterling

+1

I used Sony's compacts earlier and loved them. Got a IPhone 8 from my work and it gets the job done but I miss Android. Would go back to Android if a decent compact phone was released. Getting a Pixel 4a for my wife to replace her old Samsung S6 but it's a bit to big for me. Wish some company released something similar to Sony's compacts again with 2020 components. Decent camera, decent battery, decent internals. Don't have to be top of the line but at least close.

opelit

I have my XZ2C since two years, even when its 12mm thick I do not think it's bad, its curved so its perfect to hold -- really! Lack of Jack also is not bad, I started to use Bluetooth and the Sony headphones I have support good Sony codec for the BT. The sound quality is good.
I hope it never breaks, at least not until an alternative will be on market.

Martin Wiklund

I totally agree with the auther of the article. I check the under 5,5" phone tests at notebookcheck every week. But gets disipointed everytime. No new small phones to be found. When it was time to change phones within my company every one was getting Samsung Galaxy S10. But i bent the arm of my boss untill i got an S10E instead. But i really hope Sony will come with an updated compact modell asap!

*sorry for my bad english*  ;)

Wojtek79

Just check out Unihertz.
I use their phones for over 3 years now

oe

Yes, please. I'm still using a Sony X Compact (had a Z1 Compact before that). If it breaks and I'd have to get a new one now, I feel like there are no reasonable options. Probably I'd go for the iphone SE, even though I prefer android.

tf

I have the Unihertz Jelly Pro, with a 2.4 inch screen. It looks like the Jelly 2 will come out later this year with a 3 inch screen and mostly the same body size. It looks promising, and I can't imagine wanting anything bigger than that. I can already do everything I need to on the 2.4 inch. Auto-correct goes a long way. Maybe some day the Jelly Fold will approach Zoolander size?

Zab

+1
Among the 2020 releases, I am desperate to find a high-end phone (top camera + top screen) that is less than 70 mm wide and less than 150 mm tall (thickness does not matter to me).

That is actually true for both my wife (with her small hands) and me (with my large hands).

I seriously considered Google's Pixel 4a ... but it is way too stingy in storage (UFS 2.1, 128 GB only and no SD card! I need 256 GB minimum).

If only Samsung had released a small-ish Galaxy S10e successor!

HN

As an XZ2 compact owner, and someone that's EXTREMELY clumsy with my phones, I can definitely recommend it based on durability.

But overall you're right, and it's something I've noticed recently as well, I'm not remotely interested in upgrading to any of the new phones, partly because of the ridiculous prices, and partly because they're all just so freaking big. I actually wouldn't mind going a bit bigger, I found the typing experience to be much better on an XZ which has a 5.2 in screen and 16x9 ratio. The XZ2c is too narrow. I could probably be satisfied with the pixel 4a, but in several ways that would be a downgrade eg processor.

And yeah, it's ridiculous that there is basically no alternative to the 4a which is already a decently large phone.

MOHAK GUPTA

Wait for the Sony Xperia 5 II (mark 2). Thought it might not be as compact as Xperia XZ1 Compact, but I think it will be the perfect middle-ground, especially width wise, it will be less than 70mm, basically the size of pixel 4a.

But all of this would be in-vain if it is not made available in your region 😄.

Bring the compacts

Absolutely spot on! I'd have the XZ1 Compact if hadn't been on Verizon at the time, where it wasn't available. On AT&T now and ready for the successor to come out. My "list":

• Height 145mm or less (unlike Sony Xperia 5 II)
  • Width 68mm or less
  • Headphone jack (unlike iPhones)
  • USB-C (unlike iPhones)
  • IP68 water resistance (unlike the Pixel 4a)
  • Superior processor to my LG G6's Snapdragon 821
  • Good use of size - minimal bezel (unlike iPhone SE)
  • Reasonable other specs: decent camera, solid battery, minimal crapware/privacy invasiveness.
Samsung Galaxy S10e is a decent choice but frustratingly hasn't seen a price drop in almost a year and is iffy on the crapware front.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview