News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

We demand more small phones!

Started by Redaktion, September 01, 2020, 02:02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Whatever happened to phones that fit in your pocket? The dearth of compact mobile devices has many enthusiasts dismayed, making sacrifices in terms of features, platforms, and hardware. Some of us even continue reaching years into the past for smartphones we can operate with one hand.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/We-demand-more-small-phones.489409.0.html

RinzImpulse

You said it. I desperately need little budget smartphone. Everything released these days are too big and even $350 pixel 4a is too expensive for me. Only Samsh*t (yes, I hate that brand) Galaxy A40/41 are the nice budget, but they are not available in my country

BobWellington

I am right there with you, which is probably why I also own an XZ1C. It's a great phone, I just wish the camera was better at macro photography. There's no reason why a company couldn't come out with something similar today with updated components, but I guess they think everyone wants bigger phones, which doesn't make sense to me.

Anhar

Still waiting for graphene battery to be matured so we can use smaller phone again, but with better battery life

A

I don't have a problem with a phone fitting in my pocket despite having a larger phone.

I mean if we look at it logically, phones are getting smaller despite displays getting larger due to less bezel. But people still in general prefer larger screens and bigger phones.

If you are simply trying for 1 hand operations, there are apps that make it easier on larger phones like samgung's one hand operation app. They also have a one hand mode in the settings.

But hey, I miss removable batteries and 5 row horizontal slider keyboards with top end specs. But shrug.

mortin

Hear, Hear
I'm still using my 2017 Sony XA1, no intention of upgrading soon.
would love it if Motorola re-released the 2013 Moto X but with updated specs. the ergonomics on that phone is the best imo (although probably not so much for people over 6 ft).

Nexus7

For flagship-level specs,  Samsung galaxy S* are generally the most compact phones. The most current ones are still in the 150mm and 150-1660g range, yet they're top of the line. No compromises like giant bezels or subpar cameras or sound quality either. Even have microSD.

omega

I have been holding my S8 because of lack of small phone options. S20 is just expensive & Exynos is another reason making me not to spend on it. The iPhone, well is an Apple product, so was always out of the question.

Smittlegruber

This is the reason why i recommend the galaxy s10E. at 142 x 70 x 8 mm approx, its reasonably small (smaller in height than the 144 phone this post creator mentions in fact). Im not sure why the s10E didnt get a "look in" in this post.

Jamie

I think its the job of the reviewers like Notebookcheck, Anandtech, The Verge (this one does shame) to shame the companies into making powerful compact smartphones. They won't listen listen to the consumers, certainly not the reasonable ones.
The current smatphone buying crowd, the Chinese buyers love to stuff their pockets with huge phones & thats who, the Chinese companies are catering to.
I have seen some of them asking for a 7" smartphone & Xiaomi listened to them & came with the Black Shark 3.
I think only the non-Chinese vendors like Apple & Samsung are providing compact phones, iPhone 11 Pro & Samsung S20. Let's see how long they fight the trend of huge phones..

MHK-comander

Because that i still kept my redmi 5A. My hands is not big enough to use more than 6" phones. Unfortunately there are no any new phone at least has similar dimension to my current redmi 5A.

George

yep, i feel the same.

why we can not have a phone the size of 2016 iphone SE with notchless screen, PWM-free IPS (or high frequency PWM amoled with DC dimming option), 3'5 jack and sd card, and camera with no bump?

right now i am still using 3yo huawei p10 which still isn't small, but at least it's really thin and pocket-friendly enough to be carried around without a feeling as if i have a hard-on. it also has no bump camera, no PWM, sdxc, 3'5 jack and aluminium body which survived a dozen flights from as high as my ear level.

Devin

Some smaller phones are coming. The iPhone 12 and Sony was rumored to release a compact next year.

blah

I wholeheartedly agree.

The only compact-ish phone that came out this year and has a decent camera (ie. with OIS), is iPhone SE. I was even considering it, but using a large local music library on an iPhone is still a nightmare in 2020, just as it was 10 years ago.

Rick

I have the Mi A3, and my wife's sister has a Sony XZ2 Compact. She asked me for a small phone, and I have suggested the Sony.
True, the Mi A3 is larger than the Sony, but not that much and it's also actually thinner. It has the 3.5mm jack and the micro-SD (both super important also for me). Finally, the A3 is a stock Android with 3 years guaranteed updates (er.. not exactly timely monthly updates, but at the end you will get them) and zero bloatware. For me the 6 inch is a decent compromise, a frameless full HD 5.5" would be probably ideal and the SE's screen is too small.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview