News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

It's been 6 months since AMD announced the octa-core Ryzen 7 4800U. Why is it MIA?

Started by Redaktion, July 20, 2020, 07:52:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It was supposed to lead the pack of Zen 2 mobile processors and make 8-core/16-thread U-series Ultrabooks a reality, but it is still nowhere to be found as of Summer 2020. Is AMD saving its best for last?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/It-s-been-6-months-since-AMD-announced-the-octa-core-Ryzen-7-4800U-Why-is-it-MIA.482332.0.html

RinzImpulse

owejrwpo

I don't know if this is AMDs fault or the OEMs, but it is incredibly frustrating. When you announce that a chip, or a machine with that chip, will be available from X date, you're setting people's expectations, and if you then leave them hanging for months, it's going to p*** them off. Rule #1 of business: don't p*** off your customers!

Some of us won't settle for anything less than 8c/16t. Fortunately Schenker will be shipping the 4800H with 91Wh battery next month, so I can expect the 10+ hours lifetime from that machine even though it's the higher TDP. Still, would be nice to have some 4800U options in the UK...

Olga Buzova

Teaming up with crappy manufacturers (hey Lenovo, hey Asus) was a mistake that will soon take AMD back to their grave. Both are in bed with Intel and Nvidia, both are taking their time to release seriously attractive AMD based systems. The best thing AMD can do at the moment is follow Intel's lead by designing in-house mini computers and then hopefully laptops. Ditching the outdated GPU architectures will also improve their chances.

BotBret

Octa core is such an outdated term. Stop saying hexa and octa core, we have 6 and 8 cores which are easier to say, which is why quad core is still used. Much easier than 4 core. I know it's unimportant but it annoys me

k

they are selling AMD in bleck here in India. asus tuf priced 63900 is bieng sold for 70k approx and so on. they are intentionally missing RTX on AMD. with ultrabook they are soldering ram max 8gb without additional slot. they are not leaving any stone unturn to screw AMD. Big mistake AMD did was average IGP and then giving explicit right (4800hs) to crook asus like companies. Actually poor display lesser ram not just give intel an edge which is oofering comparable price, but also bring bad name since ryzen 7 will simply do nothing when choked with 8gb ram with shared memory. and people unaware will only blame AMD for poor performance.

anaconda

They are now shipping. My Slim 7 4800U arrives 21.7.2020 so tomorrow.

There are lots of bencmark results for these chips, they are just all sold out, thats why its hard to find them.

MOFO

At this point its a joke waiting for a 4800u and might as well wait for TigerLake.
Very, very disappointing. Oh well life goes on

Junglist724

Quote from: seriously? on July 20, 2020, 15:43:57
Because of COVID?

Is this article necessary?

Every computer component manufacturer saw only a brief slump in production due to COVID and are already back up to speed. Silicon fabs in particular couldn't afford to reduce production at all as they would potentially take a year to ramp back up to full production. This probably would have happened even without the pandemic.

marc s

Don't rule out Intel's hand in all this. They have deep pockets and continue to control OEMs like puppets on a financial string. COVID can slow down a supply chain, but that's not the whole story. I suspect the OEM's are playing it timid with the 4000 series and waiting for the 5000 series to hit the streets in the next few months. Also Intel's refresh eats up a lot of resources so AMD products generally get 2nd priority.

The other interesting thing is how they are keeping the Ryzen 4000s in more of the lower to mid-range products while giving Intel all the high end business. I don't think this is a coincidence. It's easy to find an Icelake laptop with NVIDIA RTX2070 chipset, but the same laptop in AMD form only uses its Vega 8 iGPU. Displays are another weakness. Except for the HP 455 G7, good luck finding a display over 250 nits with AMD inside.

The OEM's really don't think we notice? We do. Clean your act up!
>:(

marc s

Quote from: MOFO on July 20, 2020, 16:34:28
At this point its a joke waiting for a 4800u and might as well wait for TigerLake.
Very, very disappointing. Oh well life goes on

you might want to consider the HP 855 Gen 7 due out in August, it sports the Ryzen 4750 which like the 4800U support 8C/16T. It's a business laptop and a bit more expensive, but it will deliver in performance. I am guessing like the 455 Gen 7 it will also have the 1,000 nits display option.

Don't run to Intel, they are counting on you doing that.

brad

"AMD may be seeing no real rush to push the Ryzen 7 4800U to market just yet as a result — at least until Tiger Lake becomes widely available."

Are you suggesting this is voluntary? No way. Something's going on here, and after reading this article I still have no idea what it is.

_MT_

Quote from: marc s on July 20, 2020, 19:03:54
Don't rule out Intel's hand in all this. They have deep pockets and continue to control OEMs like puppets on a financial string. COVID can slow down a supply chain, but that's not the whole story. I suspect the OEM's are playing it timid with the 4000 series and waiting for the 5000 series to hit the streets in the next few months. Also Intel's refresh eats up a lot of resources so AMD products generally get 2nd priority.

The other interesting thing is how they are keeping the Ryzen 4000s in more of the lower to mid-range products while giving Intel all the high end business. I don't think this is a coincidence. It's easy to find an Icelake laptop with NVIDIA RTX2070 chipset, but the same laptop in AMD form only uses its Vega 8 iGPU. Displays are another weakness. Except for the HP 455 G7, good luck finding a display over 250 nits with AMD inside.

The OEM's really don't think we notice? We do. Clean your act up!
>:(
While I can believe Intel is doing all it can, there is only so much money they can give OEMs. If OEMs actually believed that Renoir is going to be a huge success, there is IMO no way Intel could compensate them for the lost opportunity. It's not one big global cartel. They would stand to lose significant market share to companies that went with AMD. So, the question is just how much faith they have in AMD. The market is not made of enthusiasts. And buyers don't necessarily behave rationally. It's amazing what AMD did with U series chips but what does an average user of a high-end ultrabook (like X1 Carbon) do that can take advantage of it? Can they even tell the difference? Certainly, there are people who can.

It seems clear that server and desktop business has priority for AMD. Not only AMD lacks engineering resources to support laptop OEMs (which is very much necessary), they might be struggling with manufacturing capacities as well. Which could explain the spotty availability.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview