News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The new Dell XPS 15 9500 is here and is the redesign we've been waiting for to taken on the MacBook Pro

Started by Redaktion, May 13, 2020, 16:43:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell has finally launched the XPS 15 9500 laptop powered by 10th gen Intel Core H-series chips and the NVIDIA GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q GPU. This year's XPS 15 comes with a much needed re-design including a 16:10 display, top-firing speakers, absence of USB Type-A ports, and finally, a proper webcam placement. The Dell XPS 15 9500 is available from today with prices starting from US$1,299.99

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-new-Dell-XPS-15-9500-is-here-and-is-the-redesign-we-ve-been-waiting-for-to-taken-on-the-MacBook-Pro.464261.0.html

davids

Redibo

$1750 and 8 GB of RAM and 256GB SSD in 2020, that´s just insane. They'd better have amazing thermals to make this an option.

Spunjji

I'm officially done with companies screwing around and removing useful ports. The chassis is large enough to support full-size USB ports... so why not have them?!

They'll be pulling the headphone port off laptops before long.

John Whyte

No USB-A, no HDMI, smaller battery, and no reduction in weight.  Why is this the "redesign we've been waiting for"?  Surely, this is the redesign we have been dreading.

bélaa

The look...is just stunning. The design what every laptop should have...beautiful

And yeah, I'm dissapointed too for not including USB-A and HDMI.

Looking forward next year with Ampere RTX 3050 and Tiger Lake-H with all the benefits.

drspychology

Dell shows a complete lack of understanding of what made the XPS so great and stripped all the best parts out. Removal of the USB A and HDMI ports will turn this sleek design into a dongle monster and even then, 3 USB C ports is not enough. Plug in your charger, a second display and a mouse and suddenly you can't even share a file with a USB drive anymore. The reduction in battery capacity is another blow in the face for XPS fans. But hey, if Dell wants to abandon its fan base to chase the Apple fans, go ahead, I just won't be buying from them anymore.

DougJudy

They took the apple route of offering their vision for the product instead of what people actually need.

USB-C is great and once adoption becomes more widespread it could be feasible to live with no USB A and no hdmi, that future is far away unfortunately so this is just stupid, now everyone will need to buy a bunch of dongles that either break, are forgotten at home when needed or simply lost, makes no sense

MxViking

I will probably get this one for personal use because of the 16:10 screen. I already have a docked ThinkPad for work, so the limitations of the new XPS don't bother me too much.

DougJudy

Quote from: drspychology on May 13, 2020, 20:03:18
Removal of the USB A and HDMI ports will turn this sleek design into a dongle monster and even then, 3 USB C ports is not enough. Plug in your charger, a second display and a mouse and suddenly you can't even share a file with a USB drive anymore.

I agree this move is stupid but you won't be out of ports like you describe, usb c is not designed like that.

A single type c port is able to carry power, connect a usb 2.0 mouse, connect a display and transfer data to your zip drive while delivering full performance and bandwith on every one of this connections. You do need to carry a stupid dongle with you all the time (technically a docking station, but this kind of configuration is so common and small these days that it's almost the same as dongle) which makes no sense, but you do have enough ports.

Andy77

Looks good, 16:10 display is nice but no OLED option is a real downgrade from last XPS 15, no buy for me.

Vlad

The giant trackpad is going to get into the way of typing. Even with the great trackpad software and palm rejection on the Macbooks, they still get plenty of complaints. The selection of ports is stupid to exclude USB-A.

Competing with Apple doesn't mean to become Apple. A lot of good things in this laptop including the 16:10 screen, new speakers and hopefully reliable keyboard, but don't need to copy the drawbacks of Apple.

Use your own brain, decide for yourself and stop copying Apple's stupid decisions.

Brenden

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview