News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zephyrus G14 Ryzen 9 GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q Laptop Review: Kicking Core i9 to the Curb

Started by Redaktion, March 30, 2020, 14:57:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The octa-core Ryzen 9 4900HS would be impressive on any 15.6-inch or 17.3-inch gaming laptop, but to see it work so well in such a small 14-inch form factor is extraordinary. There are, however, one or two caveats preventing it from being the ultimate gaming laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zephyrus-G14-Ryzen-9-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review-Kicking-Core-i9-to-the-Curb.457817.0.html

opelit

ITs looking like a bug the Asus have? 30W idle is weird. Other sites got almost 10h on looped Video. And way less idle WAtt

Hifihedgehog

Definitely a misstep in the power tests. I'm going with what Hardware Unboxed and others found since something is definitely not right here with the battery tests.

Ballance Hu

The battery test here is very weird, much worse than the results of tomshardware, hardware unboxed and others. I wonder why this happened.

ginolino

Indeed battery test is wired. And also the fan noise. Did the tests have been done only in performance/turbo mode? How does it behave in silent mode?

TOMA

That response time & idling power consumption are so weird, hope those can be fixed on stock version.

BTW, may I know if you guys did any test about the maximum power through USB type-c PD charging? I believe ASUS just claimed it can be charging through 65W PD charger, will it support higher input current so can be charging faster through some high-power PD chargers (like Apple 87/96W or MSI 90W)?

jeremy

If you are doing a followup, may you use HWINFO to discover the PCIe topology?

From the GPU-z, we see the dGPU gets 8 PCIe lanes. This is better than the 4 lanes most of the previous gen APU + dGPU setups got. We know the WiFi card demands 1 lane to even work (BT part of the card uses USB).

If the APU was 12 lanes like the old one, the SSD usually also got clipped to 2 lanes. The SSD benchmarks with the 660p are inconclusive, since the 660p is generally incapable of using more than 2 lanes of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth anyways, so I was unable to use performance comparisons from that end to settle this question.

Also, as an aside curiosity, does Freesync still work when using the Nvidia dGPU via Optimus?

Thank you!

jeremy

Quote from: TOMA on March 30, 2020, 19:17:37
That response time & idling power consumption are so weird, hope those can be fixed on stock version.

BTW, may I know if you guys did any test about the maximum power through USB type-c PD charging? I believe ASUS just claimed it can be charging through 65W PD charger, will it support higher input current so can be charging faster through some high-power PD chargers (like Apple 87/96W or MSI 90W)?

Another question to the testers & editors, are both USB-C ports capable of PD laptop charging, or just the one you labeled with PD?

Padmakara

Allen Ngo how much money did you receive from Intel to say at Conclusion that Ryzen 4900HS is on par with intel 9980hk, it is 20-30 faster, only with the Helios 700 laptop is on pair but that i9 cpu has 100w tdp.
Also what is wrong with your batttery test, all the reviewers, tomsharware, linus, hardwareunbox said it has about 10-11.5 hours, here in the article only 4.
I thought notebookchat is a serious site, but looks like it is receiveing a lot of money, for fake test. How you said at the end that ryzen 9 has the performance of i7 6 cores, and than you modified because people were commenting. Shame on you!

stanomx

A

Those are some pretty good thermals considering.

Though battery life at idle numbers seem odd as mentioned, was something running in the background? Specifically, the D3D usage seems to be preventing the GPU from idling.

LyntonB

Ho Allen. Thanks for the detailed review. You might have a bad unit there re fan speeds and battery e.g. hardwarecanucks reporting 10hrs as are others. Also things like fan noise can be fixed with bios update

Ahmed mohamedeen

Was the article changed.
Because I swear I saw nonsense that the CPU perf is less then i9's like 2 hours ago !

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview