News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zephyrus G14 Ryzen 9 GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q Laptop Review: Kicking Core i9 to the Curb

Started by Redaktion, March 30, 2020, 14:57:56

Previous topic - Next topic

zol

Thanks to the below useful links, I am able to run my GA401II-HE003T (Ryzen7/GTX1050Ti) silent and cool (in daily use, browsing etc):

www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/gpx549/summary_about_controlling_fansboosttdp_all_is/
You can set fan control to Fanless (no noise, mostly) or Low-speed (approx. half as of how "Silent" profile runs).

www.autohotkey.com/
To get over the annoying PgUp/Down Home/End affair (with Alt+)

As well as getting rid of Armoury Crate and using Power saver mode (on very conservative settings) helps with battery runtimes.

Might be useful to check for yourselves.

taitai

This article's 30W idle consumption has two reasons.
1. This article must be measuring the AC power consumption of the power brick. Efficiency of this power brick is relatively low to make it small.

2. radeon software prevent dgpu to sleep. killing the task from task manager reduces around 7~8W.

Actual power usage for browsing+watching youtube was 7~10W according to windwos 10 battery report and HWIinfo.

Valantar

Quote from: taitai on June 06, 2020, 22:26:39
This article's 30W idle consumption has two reasons.
1. This article must be measuring the AC power consumption of the power brick. Efficiency of this power brick is relatively low to make it small.

2. radeon software prevent dgpu to sleep. killing the task from task manager reduces around 7~8W.

Actual power usage for browsing+watching youtube was 7~10W according to windwos 10 battery report and HWIinfo.
There's likely something off in the testing here, but software power consumption numbers are notoriously unreliable and inaccurate, so what you are saying isn't necessarily any more correct.

As for the AC brick being "relatively inefficient" to make it small? That is nonsense. First off, there are minimum efficiency requirements for such bricks if they are going to be sold in the EU, so it can't be very low. Secondly, low efficiency means more heat output from the brick, which means it needs to be bigger to dissipate said heat. The only way to shrink power bricks is to make them more efficient, not less, and the best is to use a gallium nitride based architecture, which means they can get very small and very efficient.

BigKid1973

Do you plan to ever update this review with your own findings ?
("We retest the Asus Zephyrus G14 battery life and now it s over two times longer than before")

I do not know what keeps you from doing it and admit your oversight - other reviewers found out what kept them from getting good battery endurance.

Since I never had that issue with my unit I asume that Asus just updated the software/setting that was causing that issue...

vertigo

I was getting close to pulling the trigger on this when I realized the geniuses at ASUS didn't bother putting Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys on it. Who designs a keyboard and leaves those out completely, especially Home and End?? It's bad enough when they put them as functions on the arrow keys, but to not even bother including them at all is just ridiculous. I just don't understand all these manufacturers' refusal to make a decent keyboard. It's the main interface the user has with the computer, and so if it sucks, it doesn't matter how good the specs are. A fast computer that's annoying to use is not a good computer, regardless of how well it performs. Why can't other OEMs take a page from Lenovo, which is widely regarded by the vast majority of people that have used one to have the best keyboards? It would be such an easy way to significantly improve the usability and therefore desirability of their computers.

Bobiureuncle

Beautiful laptop checking in the shop, chassis, screen response, specs...but that aircraft sounding fan ....will likely be the head turner and not for good reasons. :'(

Kris

Could you pls try retesting the screen brightness with the AMD driver provided by ASUS(V27.20.1020.2002) at rog.asus.com -> support&downloads ?

With that ASUS graphics driver the screen can go even brighter at max and much dimmer at minimum (similar to those ThinkPad and Macbook, should be just ~5cd/m^2, instead of 15cd/m^2).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview