News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The fading light of the do-it-all business laptop

Started by Redaktion, November 30, 2019, 22:19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Business laptops have traditionally been the go-to for anyone needing a laptop that can do just about anything well. In recent times, the gradual removal of ports, upgradability, and overall repairability in these laptops is starting to conflict with that idea. Is this a step in the right direction, or are these misguided changes to appeal to "prosumers"?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-fading-light-of-the-do-it-all-business-laptop.445049.0.html

Konstantinos

@Loki Rautio Very good and important article. Regarding the question:

"In recent times, the gradual removal of ports, upgradability, and overall repairability in these laptops is starting to conflict with that idea. Is this a step in the right direction, or are these misguided changes to appeal to "prosumers"?"

It is a rhetorical one and the answer is obvious:
The companies don't care to create a multi-functional, upgradeable laptop, quite the opposite. If they can make you throw away your laptop every year it is better for their profit. Marketing plays an important role here trying to convince people (or "brainless consumers") that the styling factor and few grams less is more important over functionality and upgradeability.

On the forefront of this brainwashing crusade is of course "Apple" (not the fruit).

Konstantinos

And to prove your point, I am writing this reply from the same laptop as in the articles picture (T430) which allowed me to keep it so many years by upgrading everything: CPU (from 2 to 4core), memory to 16Gb, HDD to SSD, screen from TFT to IPS FHD, new replaceable battery...

Kalimba

Companies have gradually diverted from increasing quality to reducing expenses. Modern laptops come with soldered parts and plastic anywhere possible. Microsoft with Windows 10 also became an insolent and disrespectful software provider. Gone are the times when companies regarded customers. That's why I made a decision: I will never buy a modern laptop. Recently I became a happy owner of a Lenovo T530 with Windows 7 and I found inside an engineering and design masterpiece.

Evil_Sheep

So the play here is first they cut all the ports from your laptop, then a couple years later when everyone is pissed off that they only have one USB-c port on their whole computer, they start releasing a high-end "Pro" model that brings back the HDMI, SD-card, and Ethernet ports, with a base price of 1000. Hey everyone's gotta make a living right?

Konstantinos

@Kalimba "Recently I became a happy owner of a Lenovo T530"

Great choice! You will enjoy it much more than any modern laptop. And you will discover the joy of customizing and upgrading your laptop in almost any way you like!

frogg

I'm afraid the PC industry (in this case laptops) is following the same path as the smartphone industry. Fashionable, not upgradable , breakable by design. In some ways unusable. What is striking now is they even don't care about their business customers.
The USB-C port is very very fragile and is a single point of failure. But it's a feature!

They're all going by the way of Apple.
The only reason it wouldn't work for Lenovo and Dell is if their competition had kept these ports, but when both of them do it..
The prosumer laptop range has been dying for a few years now. Soon enough if we want a well-built, well-designed, flexible and repairable laptop we'll have to resort to professional laptops such as the Panasonic Toughbook which are twice as expensive for similar specs as prosumer models (which are already about twice as expensive for same specs as gaming laptops)

LHPSU

Maybe NotebookCheck should put less emphasis on the camera and more on connectivity in its ratings? You know, don't be part of the problem?

My Gigabyte Aero 15 has RJ45, HDMI and full-sized SD (though I would actually have preferred a MicroSD one for easy transfer to my Surface Pro, or at least a spring-loaded slot), and most parts are replaceable.

S.Yu

Oh yeah, the charging barrel. Dismantling my VAIO Z Canvas, although I found the bloated battery weld to a strange thin circuit board probably impossible to replace with 3rd party solutions, the DC port is of the decoupled, floating design that could wriggle around for ~1mm in each direction, and will last for much much longer than a skinny malnourished fixed C port.

S.Yu

Quote from: LHPSU on December 01, 2019, 10:55:06
Maybe NotebookCheck should put less emphasis on the camera and more on connectivity in its ratings? You know, don't be part of the problem?

My Gigabyte Aero 15 has RJ45, HDMI and full-sized SD (though I would actually have preferred a MicroSD one for easy transfer to my Surface Pro, or at least a spring-loaded slot), and most parts are replaceable.
That's Microsoft's issue, MicroSD is easily compatible with SD through an adapter, not the other way around.

S.Yu

Quote from: Kalimba on December 01, 2019, 04:43:37
Companies have gradually diverted from increasing quality to reducing expenses. Modern laptops come with soldered parts and plastic anywhere possible. Microsoft with Windows 10 also became an insolent and disrespectful software provider. Gone are the times when companies regarded customers. That's why I made a decision: I will never buy a modern laptop. Recently I became a happy owner of a Lenovo T530 with Windows 7 and I found inside an engineering and design masterpiece.
I think similarly planning to upgrade from 2015 iPP to 2017 iPP, but no further.
But I won't go that far in regards to rejecting "modern"...

Helium007

Very nice article, totally agree!

The very sad fact is that if I remember my laptop history, in 2012 I had no problems to buy laptop to fit my needs in terms of usability, port selection and upgrade options and all in acceptable price. In 2018 I have to buy Zbook 15 G4  - professional workstation to meet at least some of my requirements. I am happy, but it cost almost 3x more than same laptop in 2012! Even if I set no money limit, no laptop can offer same performance as in those years back... Professional laptops are fading away, and only expensive workstations can party replace them. For huge price tag of course.

What makes me smile is that move from SD card slot to microSD. I really dont understand what are manufacturers think this is for. I used full SD for cards from DSLR, camera and other things. Or they think I would take out card from my phone or action cam? Really? If there is no fullSD slot, I see no use for microSD at all because most users still need external memory card readers (remember laptops around 2007, that often have built in 7in1 memory card readers? Very convenient - I loved that !).

These cutoffs are definetely for lowering manufacturing price and design trends. Same things that ruined smartphones. New smartphones cannot be cool without curved glass with some cool hole for camera and unibody design. Everything only to make it more fragile and disposable because repairs are not economical. Eg. curved screen costs 3x more than same quality flat one. Cost of design "trends" that are starting in laptop industry.

Tip: I you want to make some good joke to Apple "engineer" or other "expert", ask them what is "Pro" on those new Macbooks :) Probably non-replaceable everything including proprietary SSD :D

Soulburner

I noticed this trend a while ago and I do not understand it. Machines like the Thinkpads are not (or were not) designed for the average consumer who might be looking for a computer that is thin as possible. I chose a Thinkpad X230 because of its abilities of expansion and modding. I do not mind the thickness and the weight. The modern Thinkpads, though, seem to go the Apple way: non-removable batteries, soldered memory, removing USB-A and RJ45 ports (I use Ethernet often at work). I'm afraid what the future will bring - soldered SSD? No DRAM slot at all?

It seems like Lenovo started making the usual Thinkpads (X and T series) as a not exactly cheaper Apple alternative, copying all the wrong ideas, and moved the more classic looking models to the P product line, which is way more expensive - they remained quite thick and kept all the needed ports (as far as I recall). Also, it came to this weird situation in which a budget Thinkpad model, like an E490, has more expandability options than the "full" T490, minus Thunderbolt.

It seems like the only thing left that would make me want to upgrade to a new Thinkpad is the trackpoint. I do not, however, imagine using a dongle to connect to my work network (I bring my own device).

ymcst

Imagine that you are buying a rainjacket. They tell you "look it is much lighter!" And you look at it, yeah indeed it is lighter because it doesnt have a hoody.

This is exactly what laptop/smartphone producers are doing for last 4-5 years.

Worst part is that majority of the consumers are fine with it, because they DONT use this items for their functionality but to brag with them.

This is the legacy of apple marketing, they turned tech devices from gadgets to bragging toys.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview