News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zephyrus G14 timed exclusivity deal for the AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS might have hurt the processor more than it helped

Started by Redaktion, September 13, 2020, 02:43:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Timed exclusivity may work in the world of consoles games, but limiting a great processor to just one laptop and one screen size isn't such a great idea. The limited press coverage and availability of both the Ryzen 7 4800HS and Ryzen 9 4900HS may be attributed to the fact that only just a handful of Asus laptops carry such options.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zephyrus-G14-timed-exclusivity-deal-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-9-4900HS-might-have-hurt-the-processor-more-than-it-helped.493027.0.html

undervolter0x0309

vrdev

Peruse the comment section of almost every popular laptop review YouTube channel and you'll see that it's still not too late.

killthrash

This article misses the mark in my opinion. The 4800H is just as capable, often outperforms the 4900HS depending on the cooling solution, and is available in several models today. The writer is clearly looking for the 4900HS in a premium laptop, which is a segment currently reserved for Intel.

No systems integrator would ever take the risk of committing to a new chip architecture for their flagship premium segment out the gate, which is why we currently only see the Renoir chips for mid-tier laptops like the Asus Zephyrus G series, Lenovo Yoga/Ideapad 7 series, etc.

This will only change when we see a systems integrator finally take the leap of faith and put the Renoir chip in their premium flagship, like a Dell XPS, Lenovo Yoga 9, or Asus Zephyrus M series.

This has nothing to do with exclusivity agreements, and everything to do with marketing and product management.

Juels

There is some limits to the supply from amd due to the demand during covid-19.

Let's see what will happen next year.

Zulny R

Quote from: undervolter0x0309 on September 13, 2020, 04:30:01
Shintel must've paid a lot of money to asus to stall amd processors.
What corrupt businesses.

IMO, 3 manufacturer were paid by intel,
ASUS, MSI, DELL
Avoid these manufacturer if you want good AMD product.
Asus G14 was the only exception, because G14 was AMD exclusive before intel paid them

john13092020

Another article from the same author that will blame AMD for something if not just everything.

Just keep giving higher scores in everything with Intel inside, even if it is much slower and much more expensive that the equivalent AMD. Just keep finding fails in laptops that do not come from top OEMs, fails that are a standard in every laptop, even those coming from top OEMs.

No one will notice. Believe me. No one will. ;)

ariliquin

Considering you cannot get ANY laptop in this country with this specification, even though they are advertised, they are permanently out of stock, this processor being exclusive is the least of our issues. That fact you cannot find an AMD high end laptop CPU paired with high end screen, case and GPU is ludicrous. Whats stopping manufacturers making these available? 

Anonyneko

It's long been rumored that these chips have some bandwidth limitations that discourage pairing them with the highest end GPUs, plus I suppose some manufacturers wouldn't want to let go of Thunderbolt 3 for their top of the line models, especially those who make TB3 accessories such as eGPU cases. Kinda ironic considering on the desktop side it's the reverse with AMD being the first to support PCIe 4...

Intel is still good enough at gaming so I suppose it doesn't really hurt the bottom line of the manufacturers to go with different options for pure gamers and for creative professionals anyway. Of course if there are some behind the scenes agreements then the situation may be different from what I imagine.

Fordryer

ASUS and AMD have done such a poor job with getting these laptops out. I  returned it in panic after a bad warranty experience. Now can't find the same spec anymore.

All the G14 out are limited to 16GB or mostly Ryzen 7's in the UK. 2060 are very rare too. There is a high end version but with Animemratix. I hope they release high end versions again without that and more RAM.

Joseph87

Major shortages from Nvidia these days as well.
Renoir has pcie bandwidth limitations, pairing with something above rtx2060 does not make sense.

Muhammad Anhar

AMD may wins in ultrabook segment, but Intel still dominates in gaming and heavy workstation, thanks to high end mobile GPU.

I don't think shortage would be a reason here, since this pandemic most people would build their PC, and thanks to AMD Zen 2 it would be possible for people with tighter budget.

C

Would like to add that in the USA, ASUS almost exclusively distributed this laptop from best buy and you couldn't buy it from any other source.  I declined to buy it because of their awful service and lack of oem warranty support.  If you wanted a ryzen processor, Best Buy is pretty much the only game in town.  Would have loved to purchase directly from Lenovo or Dell.

Terra

I've waited and waited for the g14 but today I just went and bought the msi gs66. It was incredibly dumb to limit the processor to one model.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview