News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Gigabyte Aero 15X v8 (i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max-Q, Full-HD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, April 07, 2018, 23:30:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Now with six cores. With Intel's new Coffee-Lake architecture now being released, manufacturers upgrade their existing models. Gigabyte's new Aero 15X v8 inherits the predecessors slim bezzles, but adds a 144 Hz panel and a hex-core processor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-Aero-15X-v8-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.296594.0.html

Micron

Wondering about PWM Flickering presence on 4K version? Could someone confirm that 4K LCD screen not used PWM method for controlling brightness. Very important for human eyes

yusukey

Is there any chance NotebookCheck will review the 4k model? I have been waiting on this refresh for months with the sole intention of purchasing the 4k display option, however, I can really only justify the purchase if I am absolutely certain that the screen on the 4k model has >85% AdobeRGB color gamut coverage. Additionally, I'm curious as to the severity of the graininess of the sub-pixel matrix.

On a completely different topic, how exactly is this laptop reaching over 150°F while the fans are working way harder (and louder) than the previous model? Is the hexa-core i7-8750H really that much hotter than the quad-core i7-7700HQ? Seems a pretty pointless trade-off considering the gaming performance increase is negligible at best (and thats in a CPU intensive game like The Witcher 3 to boot). I shudder to think how this will impact temps of thermally-challenged laptops like the Razer Blade/ Pro lineup...

Florian Glaser

Sitanoni

Hello! Thanks for the awesome review.
I am wondering about this laptop - I heard several reviews online and all have different stories regarding heat and noise.

Some have similar, but some have lower temps and lower noise and these seem to be the major drawbacks of this laptop in this review.
Other than that, it seems almost like a perfect mobile laptop.

I also wonder how the MSI GS65 Stealth will compare.

Ra2fot

Austin

Thorough review as always. When you get the GS65, can you please consider a head to head between them?

D Mytty

I second the question about USB Power Delivery ... aka Charging via Thunderbolt port.

I think this should be a standard check box on the list of features when Notebookcheck reviews a laptop with a Thunderbolt or USB 3.1C.  IMO, charging options are more significant to more users than the number of PCIe lanes.

And before someone gets on a high horse about 'these laptops are too powerful', the answer is 'no'.  A small 12V car or 120V wall adapter with USB Power Delivery @ 20v can give 60W, which in many scenarios is enough to handle the load.  At the very least, the USB PD charger could charge the battery when the laptop is off. 

With all the focus on tiny bezels and slimness, it's crazy that charger + cable are more bulky than the laptop itself.

Isaac B

What's the OpenGL Cinebench 15 score for the 1070 Max-Q? One small request, can you consistently include the OpenGL score when running Cinebench? I've seen that included in some reviews and left out of others. For those of us wanting to get a rough real-life sense of the 3d performance of laptops, consistently including the OpenGL score in reviews is helpful in determining buying decisions.

Xiii

Unless it has changed recently, I believe Gigabyte still does not support waking the computer from sleep through a USB device. This is a basic feature and a deal breaker for me with how i use my laptop. Would be nice if you could mention when systems don't include basic features like this but understand that you can't hit everything.

LL

I concur with Isaac B.  OpenGL Cinebench result is a good source of information for various 3D workloads.

Anonyneko

When you get to reviewing the 4k version, could you please check how harsh is the matte graininess? This seems to be an otherwise perfect laptop for me, but having to suffer flat (especially brighter) backgrounds being super colorfully grainy again would be a deal-breaker to me (owner of an anti-glare 4k Clevo machine).

I wish they released a glossy version so much, but alas, it's understandable that for a laptop branded as a gaming one a matte screen is generally preferable.

JJ

Any chance we could get the model/part info for the new 144hz screen? I want to see if it's possible to fit it inside a last gen Aero 15X.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview