News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 is real — and it sure runs hot

Started by Redaktion, January 09, 2018, 19:02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Thinner, lighter, and more powerful than the XPS 15 9560, the XPS 15 2-in-1 features a 65 W Kaby Lake-G processor and new Mag-Lev keyboard. Something has to give, however, and we believe it will be in warmer temperatures.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Dell-XPS-15-2-in-1-is-real-and-it-sure-runs-hot.269900.0.html

Thesis

If HP and Lenovo on their 2 in 1s can still fit full size SD card readers and USB A ports with LESS space than this XPS 15 2 in 1, Dell had no excuse. Not a single A port, or a card reader...Dell what are you doing?

Good job

Thanks for another good summary of this laptop.

I like the fact that Dell is pushing the boundaries. 4.1ghz is fast single core performance for a thin laptop; we will see how it performs in the real world soon enough.

Jason K.

So let me get this straight...
Worse thermal performance, lower battery capacity, neutered key travel, very insignificant decrease to weight, no discrete GPU option, little-to-no improvement to gaming performance, no sign of better speaker audio quality, a severe downgrade to available I/O, and no word on more robust QC? I can't believe I passed up the incredible $600 Black Friday discount on the XPS 15 9560 for this piece of garbage...

Ljubomir Bardzic

Very disappointed with Dell !!! I've been waiting for months to see an updated XPS 15 and they release a laptop with no USB A, no HDMI, no SD card reader and a smaller battery - they are doing the same thing as Apple which is awful. I really hope they update the regular XPS 15 (non 2-in-1) and keep an Nvidia GPU and the ports or I'll be looking elsewhere for a new laptop.

BA

What? Is this a joke? No USB A, worse battery, higher temperatures! Also, this machine can not be used for CUDA programming any more. And of course
the excuse for the high temperatures (being an early unit etc) is very cheap. This will be exactly the model they are going to release. We all know Dell now. I just hope they finally managed to fix the coil whine issue that has been there since the first XPS 15 ultrabook. lol. According to rumors from Alienware representatives the proper (non-2-in-1) XPS 15 will be announced in a few months from now. Hopefully it won't be as bad as this one.

David2156

So they include this new GORE thermal option and it still runs hot?

Doesn't seem like they did it to improve thermals in laptop standards; seems like they did it because their laptops were not running much more hotter. So basically, we are back to square one with thermal temps.

Malmo

The GL(graphics low) graphics is comparable to the 1050!
You need at least the GH version (100w) to compete with the 1060maxq.
The Dell XPS 15 will not get the GH version, as far as I know.

Please correct that.

Knuckles

James66

Love it. Don't care about gaming at all, only about video editing and this laptop should be great for that. Love the 2 in 1 for content consumption. You want to game? Buy a gaming laptop. Tired of all theses comments.

James66

About SAD card. All moden camera have USB C, much faster transfer over card reader.

Brad331

The whole system's power consumption has actually decreased compared to the regular XPS15. The problem is the heat is now concentrated together on the same socket, in the same area. This is bad for thermals.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview