News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Razer Core V2 + Blade Stealth (i7-8550U) Review

Started by Redaktion, December 23, 2017, 00:40:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A technological Swiss Army knife for the living room. Razer's Core V2 makes anything possible, transforming a slim, unprepossessing ultrabook into a serious gaming PC in seconds. With its dedicated bandwidth, the additional TI82 controller lends the graphics card even more power compared to the previous Razer graphics enclosure. But is it worth investing your hard-earned cash in this device? And how smoothly do games run on the dock? We used several benchmarks and two graphics cards to answer those questions.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Core-V2-Blade-Stealth-i7-8550U-Review.274238.0.html

Mahdi

It's wonderful... A 8th generation ultrabook and this baby make a perfect combination. I believe the very first problem is cpu, the benchmark in R15 is merely 530 for such the cpus, and it's insufficient for coming years, moreover, emission is annoying... I'll consider combination of a Hq/Mq/Hk 8th generation laptop and Razer Core V3 is the NOISE will decrease!

hfm

I'm sure the CPU also had something to do with the desktop PC's scores as well as available bandwidth.

rewt

Don't get fooled by the eGPU hype, from my own experience, it's not as user-friendly as you'd think.

When you start apps on the eGPU, they are bound to it, then when you disconnect the eGPU (because mobility is the whole premises of that thing), they crash because they can't find the GPU anymore. Sometimes Windows crashes too. Also, sometimes you plug it in and it just won't work, monitors don't lit up or other buggy behavior, drivers don't seem very eGPU aware, does Nvidia care? Doesn't seem like it.

I tried to like it, almost lasted 2 weeks with it, but I just cant, had to go back to a full blown gaming PC and a secondary laptop and my life is now more enjoyable.

AquaeAtrae

Thanks! Although I interpret the results a bit differently, I've been eagerly awaiting these benchmarks ever since I learned of Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs and heard rumors of low-power quad-code ultrabooks. As someone who games while travelling for work, I need long battery life with the option to plug for my favorite games. I imagine many college students would have similar uses. I'll probably opt for another brand's 2-in-1 myself but these benchmarks help a lot.

Quote from: hfm on December 27, 2017, 01:04:58
I'm sure the CPU also had something to do with the desktop PC's scores as well as available bandwidth.

And yeah, I would agree that for certain games (Battlefield 1, NFS), the low power CPU becomes the clear bottleneck in these charts. That's the main difference the desktop results differ so much, not its 16 lanes of PCIe bandwidth. Just because a desktop motherboard provides 16 lanes, doesn't mean the attached GPU actually saturates much of that bandwidth.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

Even with just 2 lanes (or its equivalent), performance is only slightly affected. There's been so much outcry about laptops that wire only 2 lanes rather than 4, with most suggesting this results in half the performance. That's inaccurate. But believe whatever you want ...or use a piece of scotch tape (or BIOS controls) to test for yourself as shown here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

Hello

I purchased the gen 1 core, and stealth, and Razer kept sending me replacement cores and stealth until I finally refunded for devices that didn't work as advertised.   I have questions on if problems actually we're addressed:

1) USB devices constantly disconnect aka mouse lag.   Looks like the added controller fixes this.  Well, did it?
2) Connecting and disconnecting laptop to core required a reboot for external GPU and monitor to work.  Was not consistent and found myself rebooting all the time.  Was this fixed?

Joshua W Ford

:'( poorly done; what is the cpu on all other laptops and desktops, is it a cpu bottleneck or not enough lanes... not enough info

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview