News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga 920-13IKB (i7-8550U, FHD) Convertible Review

Started by Redaktion, November 02, 2017, 07:23:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

Quote from: Vr on December 26, 2017, 21:10:34
Lenovo laptops are not the same old IBM workhorses. Quality is exceedingly low, and service not up to the mark.
For my business use, I purchased a high end Lenovo Yoga 900 (in the $1400 range) which immediately after it's 1 yr warranty was over, refused to power up or charge.
The Lenovo service center is charging me $80 just to figure out the problem, and has suggested a possible $400 for eventual repair.

No other brand I've purchased has given such a terrible experience - Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Apple.
Why would someone buy a $1500 Lenovo when even the cheapest $300 HP machine doesn't go bust after a year?

Lenovo refused to repair it or even tell me what is wrong - free of charge.

Charging a certain fee for analysing the issue outside the warranty period is the norm. You'll get exactly the same with Apple, HP, Dell and all other major brands.

With respect to your Lenovo failing after a year, I would call that just bad luck. I bought a $1500 HP laptop for my son. It died right after booting up. Again, bad luck.

I've had an Acer Aspire S7-393 myself which worked flawlessly for the last 3 years. Does that make it any better? No. Just good luck  :)

LaptopHunter

I am trying to decide between the Lenovo Yoga 920 and the HP Spectre x360 based on battery life. However, I want to compare the 4k version of the Yoga 920 to the 4k version of the Spectre 13.

I want the 4k version because I want 16gb of ram and a 1tb hard drive and only the 4k version offers these specs

However only the 1080p version of the Yoga 920 is reviewed here. This is rated as having a higher battery life than the 4k version of the Spectre:

1080p Yoga: 11h25m on wifi test, 2h20m in load
4k Spectre: 7h4m on wifi test, 2h1m in load

But I was wondering which one I should expect to be better if I go for the 4k version? Would the 4k Yoga's battery life be a lot lower than the 4k Spectre x360? If they are similar then I'll choose the Yoga as it appears to come out faster

Thank you!

danwat1234

You know, with the previous laptop to this, the Yoga 910, Lenovo released a BIOS update where the 2 fans no longer can crank up to 100% when needed. Reverting back to the old '23' BIOS from newer BIOS versions solved that issue. Also with the 910, cyclical heavy throttling was a big big issue under 100% load. I saw that mentioned in this 920 review as well.

Should have tested the fan speed in the review I think but don't blame u for not knowing they may limit the RPMs for noise sakes (who the heck want that, yay throttling but it's quiet!!). I will stay away from the 920.

Browny

Great laptop but why did they shrink the battery when 4k and quad-core need more power?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview