News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus Smartphones First Impressions

Started by Redaktion, March 30, 2017, 21:33:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Less is sometimes more! Samsung has officially introduced the successor of its successful Galaxy S7 (Edge) in New York City. One thing of the new Galaxy S8 models immediately strikes the eye: a narrower edge with more screen. We have already performed a first hands-on with the S8 an S8 Plus. Here are our impressions of this year's Samsung flagship smartphones.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-S8-Plus-Smartphones-First-Impressions.209502.0.html

No

I feel like PWM is about to become unavoidable. The shift towards AMOLED among flagships is clear and it will probably be the standard within two years. Unless they start making AMOLED displays without PWM (from what I've been told PWM is used to avoid colorshifting), then those of who wish to avoid it will soon either have to stick with our phones or settle for mid range devices.
It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a phone to buy for me. I'm hesitant to settle, so I'm stuck with an old phone for now.

Puppy

PWM itself is not the issue, all displays use it. The issue is low frequency used in particular model. What is the exact frequency in S8 actually ? I got Lumia 950 over 950 XL because it has 500 Hz PWM while the XL has 240 Hz only.

petr

There is wrong width for Samsung Galaxy S8 in size comparison. Please fix it (it should be aroun 68, not 71 mm)

ac

Alternatives to full screen flicker PWM:

a. Sony uses CRT-style thing where they "scan" a black bar across the display. I believe this is reverse to the CRT where the visible picture was the "scan" and rest of the monitor remained black, so it should be less noticeable than CRT flicker done this way. Of course power consumption is bigger too. Would be interesting to have adjustment for the rate and ability change the size of the "scan bar" but I'm not sure if there's a standard protocol for communicating such custom adjustments to displays without need for OEM-tools, which I'd prefer to do without.

b. if you have say 500 PPI OLED, it could be reduced to use only 250 PPI-amount of pixels at once. Then slowly and invisibly swap which pixels are being used before there is retention. This avoids flicker completely.

harshita

Thanks to blogger for good article. My vote is 4 Doogee Mix because of Super Small design Looks very Beautiful And Doogee Mix Price is Much better than Xiaomi Mix Also 4Gb And a 6Gb ram version Available . so better I buy Doogee Mix I am Super Excited to buy it.

gormi

The iPhone 8 is rumoured to have a Samsung OLED screen.

Does this mean that compared to iPhone 7 it will now have PWM, lower colour accuracy, and some models having a red tint?

Fırat

Could you be a bit more consistent with pros/cons on your reviews? I realize there is more than one reviewer but when a phone with AMOLED and pwm gets pwm put in its cons and this doesn't, one cannot really use ratings to compare phones on the website. Just my 2 cents.

Flavio

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview