News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Samsung ATIV Book 8 Touch 880Z5E X01 Notebook

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2013, 03:08:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Touch update. Same chassis and hardware, different name. Samsung adds a touchscreen to a Chronos 7 series model and renames the notebook in the process. Like the predecessor, the Ativ Book 8 Touch still ships with a potent Core i7 processor and a dedicated Radeon GPU. How the notebook performs and compares to its competitors are the subjects of this review.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-8-Touch-880Z5E-X01-Notebook.102303.0.html

Bal

Where is SSD? Where is Haswell CPU??? Hey, Samsung, come on! It's late 2013 out of the door! I would love to buy it but with all up-to-date components

Edwin de Groen

Don't worry about Haswell, the main impovement is power consumption, you won't notice (any) speed difference in CPU's clocked with the same speed.

The missing SSD however is terrible. When you buy this, you will need to buy an additional SSD and replace the HDD with it.

If you ain't to technical with computers, I would pick another laptop.

This laptop is only viable if you need a speedy GPU in a thin casing. Because this thing is pretty expensive. Otherwise I would recommend an ultrabook. That will save you money and weight.

Florin

Can I connect this to my Dell 2713H through HDMI and get 2560x1440 @ 60hz? Only thing keeping from getting this or the similar Chronos

teddyC

In the US, they are selling NP880Z5E-X01UB, which is slightly different: they have AMD Radeon HD 8770M, instead of 8870M here. Does anyone know if there's a difference in terms of performance?

Pasheg

Indeed! HD 8770M is a relatively slow grapic card compared to the 8870M (up to 1,5x depeding on the test). You better purchase the proper model of this amazing laptop from some European online store. Or try to question your local Samsung office on how to obtain it otherwise.
The model w/ 8770M obviously doesn't make much sense if you wish to play games or run pro apps like CADs, 3DS Max or Maya - 8870 is better. If you need neither, some Ultrabook (like Ativ Book 9) would be a better choise.

windsor83

How does Radeon HD 8870M compared to NVIDIA GTX 700 series, what would be a good apples to apples comparison?

Pasheg

Radeon HD 8870M in terms of gaming performance is slightly worse than GTX 760M (roughly on par with GTS 660M). However, the Radeon graphics card is superior in professional 3D-applications (more like GTX 770M or so).
Most multimedia laptops (including Macbook) have at best GT650 / 750 graphics card with DDR3 memory, which is ~30% slower in gaming (and much more so in pro apps).
Some people have complained about the buggy AMD graphics driver, but I've had no such problems so far.

AK

I think the fact that it doesn't come with an SSD can actually be used as an advantage because the price now becomes significantly lower. All you have to do is buy a Samsung 840 Pro SSD and install it in and boom - you have a really fast and powerful laptop at still a very affordable price range and at least $1,000 cheaper than a MacBook with similar specs.As for the comment regarding the back cover not being that easy to open, I disagree. It is relatively simple and the whole process can be done in a few hours. I made a small guide showing how simple it is to clone the HDD to the SSD, open up this laptop and install the SSD. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnM7DcgQcDk

Tams

Quote from: Edwin de Groen on October 01, 2013, 12:25:09
Don't worry about Haswell, the main impovement is power consumption, you won't notice (any) speed difference in CPU's clocked with the same speed.

The missing SSD however is terrible. When you buy this, you will need to buy an additional SSD and replace the HDD with it.

If you ain't to technical with computers, I would pick another laptop.

This laptop is only viable if you need a speedy GPU in a thin casing. Because this thing is pretty expensive. Otherwise I would recommend an ultrabook. That will save you money and weight.

So only get a laptop the does what you need?

No s*** Sherlock.

lt

What should I pick for infographic design and databases? Running Photoshop, Illustrator, and databases simultaneously with Wacom tablet etc. Color needs to be very accurate for printing, speed is important since Illustrator and wacom tablet are frustrating otherwise. Seems like the color of the ATIV Book 8 isn't good enough? Also I am in transit a lot, so weight an issue, and energy efficiency would be nice and the Ideapad seems like such a short battery life. Don't really want to get another Mac but considering because of weight.

Aleks

Hi guys!
I bought this laptop yesterday i am pretty happy of it but i have one issue that bothers me, is just mine laptop that loud. Thanks for the anwser!

Hank Freeman

This is an excellent product.
Two ways of making it better
1. Upgrade to 16GB of memory
2. Upgrade to 7200 RPM 1TB HD specifically : "HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0J22423" which I available at Amazon.com ($60.00) [This is a no brainer)... Take the 5400 rpm drive and put it into a USB3.0 HD enclosure: "Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP) "
Warning: This system cannot support SSD greater than 256 GB, this is right from their technical manual, so don't waste your time...

Email me and I will send anyone a copy of the PDF technical manual on this computer.
If you have one of these system you have a real winner.
end

john morales

I agree this one is a real winner.
except with what they put in the manual u say that it doesn't support 256 gb SSD or larger, coz mine i installed 500 gb SSD and it is working just fine, and it is really a great upgrade for me, super fast computer.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview