News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware m18 R2 laptop review: Jumping from Core i9-13980HX to i9-14900HX

Started by Redaktion, March 22, 2024, 21:32:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It may be called the Alienware m18 R2, but it's more like the Alienware m18 R1.1. The CPU and GPU perform identically to last year's model for no major year-over-year improvements. Save yourself a few hundred dollars by opting for the m18 R1 version instead.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m18-R2-laptop-review-Jumping-from-Core-i9-13980HX-to-i9-14900HX.812957.0.html

NikoB

It's simply amazing how you can completely destroy the line as a universal one, simply by destroying the classic numpad, and even in a huge 18" case.

It's simply amazing how with such weight there is such hellish noise.

And it's simply amazing, why is Intel here when last year's 7945HX is much more energy efficient and faster?

And again there is no 4 x M.2 to create RAID10.

And again, unlike the MSI Titan, there is no proper 4K@120Hz+ 18" panel.

I don't understand who will buy this?

martinistripes

It's simply amazing how you can completely destroy the line as a universal one, simply by destroying the classic numpad, and even in a huge 18" case.
At least it has a numpad, many manufacturers don't offer one at all

It's simply amazing how with such weight there is such hellish noise.
Show me a quiet one with similar power.

And it's simply amazing, why is Intel here when last year's 7945HX is much more energy efficient and faster?
Of course options are always nice

And again there is no 4 x M.2 to create RAID10.
A bit niche don't you think?

And again, unlike the MSI Titan, there is no proper 4K@120Hz+ 18" panel.
Current MSI generation is rubbish. Cheap build quality with terrible 2000s aesthetic. Noise is much worse. I should know, I returned one. Also, if you want to keep high framerates 2K is the sweet spot. 4K on a laptop is wasted same as 2K on a phone!

I don't understand who will buy this?
I will buy it.

Regards,
Ryan

NikoB

Quote from: martinistripes on April 06, 2024, 05:58:27Also, if you want to keep high framerates 2K is the sweet spot. 4K on a laptop is wasted same as 2K on a phone!
Just amazing blindness and technical illiteracy of another layman.

On smartphones, text and graphics look so amazing, as if printed on a laser printer, because the ppi there is above 250, and more often 350.

In laptops and especially in monitors, to the shame of the entire IT industry and despite the fact that people spend 8 or more hours a day on them, the absolutely shameful ppi is less than 200, and on monitors it is generally below 150. Which leads to monstrous pixelation of text and problems with focusing the eyes and increased fatigue of the eyes and nervous system because of this at the slightest change in viewing distance.

There is only one solution: 4k+ panels with ppi above 250 at 16".

On monitors, there is also only one solution - 8k+ panels with the same ppi 250+.

The next advantage of 8k/4k panels is that they are fully compatible with the 1920x1080(1200) mode. Unlike the idiotic and moronic 2.5k, which ALWAYS has a cloudy picture when switching to fhd mode. And therefore ALWAYS muddy video in 1080p format and 4k resolution.

Therefore, only a complete fool would refuse a screen with a ppi above 250 on a laptop. It is ideal for work, games and video.

And on monitors, only a complete fool would refuse an 8K monitor, but alas, they still don't exist due to the fault of the IT industry, which has not been able to release mass-produced video cards and igpu with Display Port 2.0+/UHBR20 for 5 years now. And for this shameful reason, there are still no 8k monitors on the market that are ideal for the clarity of text and graphics (which are easy to play on in 4k or fhd mode with a perfectly clear picture)

And the shameful manufacturers of x86 technology cannot introduce 8k monitors for another objective reason - shameful, extremely slow 2-channel 128-bit (like 15 years ago!) memory controllers. x86 cores suffocate without fast memory controllers from 300GB/s and for the same reason cannot fully work with 2-4 8k monitors at the same time. In most modern laptops, even working with one external 8K monitor (even if they added DP2.0+/UHBR20) will be a problem - because there is a wild lack of system memory bandwidth.

2.5k is not needed. No one needs this and it is a technically incorrect solution that does not solve a single problem.

All laptops without exception should only have 4K screens. They are ideal for all tasks.

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on April 06, 2024, 14:11:08
Quote from: martinistripes on April 06, 2024, 05:58:27Also, if you want to keep high framerates 2K is the sweet spot. 4K on a laptop is wasted same as 2K on a phone!
Just amazing blindness and technical illiteracy of another layman.

On smartphones, text and graphics look so amazing, as if printed on a laser printer, because the ppi there is above 250, and more often 350.
Ah, it's clear now why you want 4K in laptop screens so bad (while having 141 PPI 1080p one, lol) - because you are looking at it from the same viewing distance as you look at a smartphone.

Quote from: NikoB on April 06, 2024, 14:11:08In laptops and especially in monitors, to the shame of the entire IT industry and despite the fact that people spend 8 or more hours a day on them, the absolutely shameful ppi is less than 200, and on monitors it is generally below 150. Which leads to monstrous pixelation of text and problems with focusing the eyes and increased fatigue of the eyes and nervous system because of this at the slightest change in viewing distance.
You have 141 PPI.

Quote from: NikoB on April 06, 2024, 14:11:08On monitors, there is also only one solution - 8k+ panels with the same ppi 250+.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Quote from: NikoB on April 06, 2024, 14:11:08The next advantage of 8k/4k panels is that they are fully compatible with the 1920x1080(1200) mode. Unlike the idiotic and moronic 2.5k, which ALWAYS has a cloudy picture when switching to fhd mode. And therefore ALWAYS muddy video in 1080p format and 4k resolution.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Quote from: NikoB on April 06, 2024, 14:11:082.5k is not needed. No one needs this and it is a technically incorrect solution that does not solve a single problem.
😂😂😂😂😂

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview