News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 2024 review - The gaming/multimedia laptop with Ryzen 8000 and G-Sync OLED

Started by Redaktion, February 08, 2024, 17:58:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new ROG Zephyrus G14 hasn't set its focus on maximum performance anymore—instead, Asus aims to speak to a larger audience with the help of the laptop's slimmer and more compact aluminum case. The result is an astounding gaming/multimedia hybrid that offers great performance and only features a handful of weaknesses.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-2024-review-The-gaming-multimedia-laptop-with-Ryzen-8000-and-G-Sync-OLED.800772.0.html

ascas

Can't compensate being a generation behind in CPU performance and three generations behind in battery life than binned 11-core M3Pro by making a proper aluminum case.

joegalamb

It would be interesting to see how much (little) is the 4060 version behind in gaming performance. It seems the 4070 is quite power limited in it and performs as a 4060 in the competitors.

I am seriously considering changing my 14 MacBook M1 Pro to this. Finally, I could play some games.

Neenyah

Too high price for a 75W 4070 with only 8 GB VRAM (Rise of the Tomb Raider set to DX12 will chew through 9.5-11 GB like it's nothing at all maxed 1440p), a** typeface on keycaps (as usual with Asus), and it looks way too similar to the Razer Blade but less polished and cheaper in aesthetic appearance. Other than that - pretty great laptop and nicely balanced in all regards. Touchpad seems excellent.

LL

G14RTX4090user

Going into the right direction.

What I would love to see:
- 14.2" or 14.5" matt screen
- 64GB soldered RAM option
- 100W RTX 4070
- USB C charging up to 240W and compatible with other 140W+ USB C chargers
- Must support double sides 4mm thick M.2 like 8TB PNY

PORAGI

Quote from: ascas on February 09, 2024, 09:28:44Can't compensate being a generation behind in CPU performance and three generations behind in battery life than binned 11-core M3Pro by making a proper aluminum case.

Think you're jumping ahead of the gun here. Let's see if there's actually any real decent availability in the first place. :) What surprised me most about Apple's M-silicon wasn't perf. or battery life, it was they were able to ship on time with widespread availability during the pandemic with almost 0 delays, 3 times in a row consecutively. Even companies with strong contracts with AMD (Sony with PS5 and MS with Xbox S|X) were unable to achieve that. I think that feat in itself is worthy of a journalistic investigation and a dedicated article to it.

Quote from: joegalamb on February 09, 2024, 10:36:48I am seriously considering changing my 14 MacBook M1 Pro to this. Finally, I could play some games.

Not too sure that'd be a good idea. Might be just better off getting a portable console (next gen switch for now, maybe a portable vita 2 or xbox if that ever comes into fruition in 2 years) It'd be a) a lot cheaper b) supported for far longer, so you don't have to worry a game 5 years down the line not running well at all on your machine due to vram limitations or something c) paying more for substantially better performance is fine but these things are not built to last and more for planned obsolesce. after 2.5 years your thermal paste and battery will be completely gone. Not such a big deal when it happens on a $300 device but it's a completely different thing having to drop 2.5k every 2 years. So for the above reasons, I urge you to reconsider.

Quote from: Neenyah on February 09, 2024, 10:38:26Too high price for a 75W 4070 with only 8 GB VRAM

Regulatory action required. I'm convinced at this point nVidia is just too big to fail and cannot be stopped by anyone except through government intervention. We can no longer afford too "Just trust me bro, this year Radeon and Arc will save us!" or "Let us as individuals vouch with our wallets, I'm sure that'll show a trillionaire corporation a thing or two!" Maybe a case of anti-trust lawsuit could be made along the lines of intentional malice trying harm the planet by creating e-waste (small vram buffer causing planned obsolesce) that is not even sustainable for today let alone tomorrow's games, AI, or video rendering purposes. Or just need to be broken up as a monopoly in general in multiple markets. Or just the clear price gouging that is the RTX 4090, if all companies are gonna do is focus on high end high wattage gpu's they need to be slapped with some super high tax with it due excessively unnecessarily high power consumption. Maybe that would get companies to focus on the < 130w and under $250 segment again. But none of this will start to happen unless we start complaining to our local representatives about this issue.

regan

Quote from: PORAGI on February 12, 2024, 14:02:04it was they were able to ship on time with widespread availability during the pandemic with almost 0 delays
yeah, totally, while Intel and AMD are stuck in "announcing great chips"

Mikko

Any chance you could comment on this: There has not been an OLED display without PWM to my knowledge. Now you state that at 100% there is no PWM - is this some mistake or really the truth?

joegalamb

Quote from: PORAGI on February 12, 2024, 14:02:04Not too sure that'd be a good idea. Might be just better off getting a portable console (next gen switch for now, maybe a portable vita 2 or xbox if that ever comes into fruition in 2 years) It'd be a) a lot cheaper b) supported for far longer, so you don't have to worry a game 5 years down the line not running well at all on your machine due to vram limitations or something c) paying more for substantially better performance is fine but these things are not built to last and more for planned obsolesce. after 2.5 years your thermal paste and battery will be completely gone. Not such a big deal when it happens on a $300 device but it's a completely different thing having to drop 2.5k every 2 years. So for the above reasons, I urge you to reconsider.

I like playing offline fps games with mouse and keyboard, so such a console is not an option. And I change my laptops every 3 years anyway, so durability is not my priority.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview