News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tesla's Cybertruck is just another bloated EV that misses the point of green transportation

Started by Redaktion, November 15, 2023, 16:48:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Electric cars were conceived as a more environmentally-friendly form of transport. With the effectiveness of EVs being called into question more and more, it's time to address the elephant-sized trucks and SUVs in the room. Super-sized trucks and cars exacerbate everything that's wrong with electric vehicles.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-s-Cybertruck-is-just-another-bloated-EV-that-misses-the-point-of-green-transportation.763996.0.html

Julian M

It's funny how some are just realizing now that EVs have become just another market gimmick rather than an Earth-saving solution - I mean, with all the components and batteries and electronic sensors in there, that is runs off electricity is completely canceled out by the sheer footprint these things carry.

EVs are not there to save the planet, they're meant to save the car industry from its bad decisions.

JohnIL

Of course governments jumped onboard EV's with unrealistic mandates to satisfy climate activist. Now we see a lot of general public rejecting EV's outright as having too many negatives to consider. What should happen is a gradual adoption of EV's maybe requiring a auto maker to have at least one EV with a reasonable range. Then begin a implementation that requires all vehicles using a combustion engine to have a hybrid electrical drive train that can help reduce emissions. Clearly we need a more acceptable and realistic adoption of EV's then what we have now.
Mandates to all EV's just will not work with what is happening now in EV technology and its infrastructure build up. It will only serve to frustrate those who invest in EV's and create more negative opinions about them.

Greg view Stupid Article

Same with laptops.  Stupid people buy them for games when it's much more environmentally friendly to play table top D&D. 

It's so frustrating people are not pragmatic to an extreme degree such that they live in excess.

For this reason I only buy gruel to eat - perfectly peptide balanced, and environmentally produced by fair trade god ol' Americans. 

I do truly hope.... Oh. Have to stop posting as I'm getting tired peddling the bike I'm using to generate the electricity for my raspberry PI so I can post about things I don't like.

A

I'm going to disagree with this article, the problem is that people are going to buy what they want to buy, if you wanted to reduce emissions the most you would use a bike or public transport. Tesla already has the Model 3 and Model Y, both the best selling cars in their class. But some people are just going to want to drive trucks or large cars. This isn't an issue for car makers to fix, it is an issue for governments to fix, such as for example tax cars based on weight. Then less people would drive larger cars. Otherwise, all you are going to see is just more ICE trucks and SUVs

The only thing is BEVs are a bit too early for trucks. I think that RAM EREV/PHEV is a better choice for now. Of course if Tesla does manage a 500 mile cybertruck and can get charging speeds fast enough it should manage fine

As for EVs emitting 40% more during their manufacturing, the problem is that is based on "average" correct? And most EVs are ICE cars with batteries. As more EVs move to EV only platforms optimized for EVs that will change. Supply chains will also be optimized for EVs. Even more so once the supplychain starts moving away from fossil fuels as well

Overall, the report you linked is based on the polestar which is made in china. If you look at Tesla's impact report, despite the Chinese factory being more efficient and improved vs the US factory, it emits almost double the emissions during manufacturing.

According to Tesla's 2021 impact report, a Tesla Model 3 made in US emits 10.2 tonnes of CO2e during manufacturing, while a Tesla Model 3 made in china emits 16.2 tonnes of co2e

In comparison, an ICE made in US emits 9.6 tonnes of CO2e during manufacturing, and one made in China emits 12.6 tonnes of CO2e.

Aka, if you compare an EV made in China vs an ICE made in US, you get that 40%. But when you compare an EV made in US vs ICE made in US, the difference is closer to 6%. And I'd like to see when the Texas factory data is out which included the improvements from the china factory and more. I'd venture it would break even or be even less

Quote from: JohnIL on November 15, 2023, 20:02:40Of course governments jumped onboard EV's with unrealistic mandates to satisfy climate activist. Now we see a lot of general public rejecting EV's outright as having too many negatives to consider. What should happen is a gradual adoption of EV's maybe requiring a auto maker to have at least one EV with a reasonable range. Then begin a implementation that requires all vehicles using a combustion engine to have a hybrid electrical drive train that can help reduce emissions. Clearly we need a more acceptable and realistic adoption of EV's then what we have now.
Mandates to all EV's just will not work with what is happening now in EV technology and its infrastructure build up. It will only serve to frustrate those who invest in EV's and create more negative opinions about them.

Where do you get the idea of the public rejecting EVs? So far EV sales in US were 5.8% in 2022, the fastest growing market. 2023 is likely to break 7 or 8%. EU EV sales in 2022 already broke 20%, China's EV sales in 2022 were 29%. Both see 2023 EV sales growing. Rapid growth is a weird way to say rejecting. The media just likes to pretend growing rapidly slightly less for 1 quarter somehow means stalling.

As for your statement of unrealistic mandates, please point me to 1 place with unrealistic mandates. The mass media just misrepresents everything. For example, take one of the so called most strictest mandate, the California EV mandate. The media will pretend like the mandate requires all new cars to be 100% electric, but that is false. The CA mandate allows PHEVs, if you don't know what a PHEV is, its a plugin hybrid, aka small electric range and combustion engine range extender. Of course the media doesn't tell you this

The US federal mandate is even less restrictive, it doesn't even require a single EV. EVs do make it easier to hit the mandates, but you can do it with 0 EVs.

Quote from: Julian M on November 15, 2023, 17:52:12It's funny how some are just realizing now that EVs have become just another market gimmick rather than an Earth-saving solution - I mean, with all the components and batteries and electronic sensors in there, that is runs off electricity is completely canceled out by the sheer footprint these things carry.

EVs are not there to save the planet, they're meant to save the car industry from its bad decisions.

It isn't completely cancelled out, EVs relative to ICE cars are much much cleaner. But that is just relative

Hobo666

EV's were never about being "green", just another way for manufacturers and government to make money from sheep. How can it be called technology advancement when EV's fail at the two basic requirements for a vehicle, range and refill time.. EV's are just for the uneducated and delusional AF..

A

Quote from: Hobo666 on November 17, 2023, 01:57:25EV's were never about being "green", just another way for manufacturers and government to make money from sheep. How can it be called technology advancement when EV's fail at the two basic requirements for a vehicle, range and refill time.. EV's are just for the uneducated and delusional AF..

How is government making money from transitioning to EVs?

Range and refill times are not a basic requirement for a vehicle, it may be a basic requirement for some people but usage varies from person to person. It's like saying horseless carriages are a step backwards because it fails at basic requirement of being fueled by grass that can be gotten anywhere, can't be bred, and doesn't have legs so it can't walk in many areas nor can in hop over obsticles.

Smartphones also had less battery life than feature phones and yet most of us are using smartphones. Technological advancement doesn't move linearly. EVs bring the convenience of charging at home and their range is already more than plenty for most people. For the small minority that it isn't, PHEVs are an option

conventional ICE cars are just for the uneducated and delusional AF

Thaddeus

Quote from: Hobo666 on November 17, 2023, 01:57:25EV's were never about being "green", just another way for manufacturers and government to make money from sheep. How can it be called technology advancement when EV's fail at the two basic requirements for a vehicle, range and refill time.. EV's are just for the uneducated and delusional AF..

Man, my ICE car fails at being a vehicle, then. I usually get around 200-220 miles per tank, which is less than a lot of EVs.

I don't care about being green, I just want my car to be fun, I hate gas stations, and I dislike the smell of exhaust. I drive maybe 20 miles per day most days and have a Highlander Hybrid for any long road trips. I live in one of the states with the cheapest (also one of the cleanest, but I don't care much about that) power grids, so charging at home would be very cheap, or I can charge at the office entirely for free.

But I'm waiting for a sporty compact EV coupe that is less than $80k and can pull at least .95g on a skidpad test, then I'll probably buy one. I'm also waiting to see how the solid state batteries perform in a few years, possibly having double the power density would help to reduce weight quite a bit. I might buy a Corvette C8 in the meantime.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview