News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Ford's adoption of Tesla's NACS hardware provokes mixed responses among industry players

Started by Redaktion, June 05, 2023, 17:02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After Ford and Tesla announced a collaborative effort to bring the Tesla's NACS charging hardware to Ford's future electric vehicles, a handful of EV charging providers have made their stances clear. Not everyone is on-board with the NACS port as a universal solution, though. Detractors of Ford's adoption of Tesla's charging standard point to concerns of safety and an industry moving away from truly open standards.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ford-s-adoption-of-Tesla-s-NACS-hardware-provokes-mixed-responses-among-industry-players.723258.0.html

A

Quote from: Redaktion on June 05, 2023, 17:02:44
After Ford and Tesla announced a collaborative effort to bring the Tesla's NACS charging hardware to Ford's future electric vehicles, a handful of EV charging providers have made their stances clear. Not everyone is on-board with the NACS port as a universal solution, though. Detractors of Ford's adoption of Tesla's charging standard point to concerns of safety and an industry moving away from truly open standards.

CCS is a terrible non-standard that should have never existed. Often times called the "Frankenstein plug", like sticking a parallel port onto a USB port into 1. They should have used the opportunity to create a standard from scratch and offer adapters for the old J1772 and Mennekes plugs. Instead, they stuck the level 2 plugs on top of the level 3 ones and called it a day. Thus you already have fragmentation with CCS-1 and CCS-2.

In the first place, the reason why NCAS exists was because SAE completely ignored Tesla in making CCS despite Tesla being the only one at the time who had EVs capable of Level 3 charging. This is also why CCS has such high failure rates when you ignore the one who has the most experience in the field in favor of automakers who at the time haven't even made a single EV

I remember a few years back reading an article of a woman car executive saying EVs will never take off with women due to the experience not being well thought out like plugs being too big for women's hands. But then comes the question, where was she when the standards were made? Yeah, right, they didn't care. CCS is a rushed standard made by people who didn't care together with the extra burden of backwards compatibility with even a more terrible old standard that existed before EVs all jumbled together to create a Frankenstein

I am not saying all EVs should go NCAS, but if I had to choose NCAS or CCS, I'd go with NCAS any day of the week

Elliot Geno

NACS is what the standard should have been in the first place. Put either plug into the hands of a novice and they will tell you which one they prefer.

NACS is sleeker than a gas pump, more accessible, cheaper to manufacturer and has zero moving parts and thus more reliable.

I believe CCS was intentionally designed to hinder the adoption of EVs. Not promote them.

Bp_968

Having rented 3 teslas now I've been blown away by the ease and speed of charging.  I stopped even considering any other brand EV after I made two road trips on my typical routes using a tesla and made a point of locating all the chargers along the route (both telsa and non tesla).  The route barely had enough non tesla chargers to make the routes possible and thats only if they worked or were not occupied. On the other hand the tesla chargers all worked and they had a minimum of 8 stalls per location versus as few as *1* CCS charger in some locations.

Tesla spent their own money to create an amazing, fast and easy to use charging network and there is barely even a price premium associated with it.  Everyone else is simply an "also ran" in my book until they resolve that issue, and let's be honest, from what I'm seeing none of the other manufacturers seem to be putting any real effort into making charging easier and available (other then ford and now GM by partnering with tesla).  They seem to be content to just let the government or everyone else deal with that problem all while telling me how much better their 1st gen product is then a tesla made by that bad bad elon man. (Smh)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview