News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

How to replace a laptop screen: Getting a better display panel for your laptop

Started by Redaktion, May 08, 2023, 23:31:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

To all those stuck with a poor display panel - there is a solution to your woes that does not involve buying a brand-new laptop. Replacing the screen will save you quite a bit of cash while giving your current system another lease of life and reducing the amount of e-waste. This guide offers some vital tips for when it comes to replacing a laptop screen.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-replace-a-laptop-screen-Getting-a-better-display-panel-for-your-laptop.715222.0.html

Pooh Sheisty

Gloria_Groove

QuoteIs it possible to use laptop display with a desktop?

The main difference between eDP and DP is that the former is used to deliver both power and data while the latter only carries data. Yes, you can connect an eDP panel to the DisplayPort output of your graphics card. You just have to make the adapter/cable yourself. Furthermore, you'll have to find a way to supply 3.3V power to the panel.

Check this out:

flogbook.wordpress.com/2018/09/30/passive-displayport-to-edp-adapter/

Nicholas Jacob

Very informative article that does a good job describing the important parts to a screen replacement on a laptop.  You often see people use a specific laptop as an example which can confuse people when their laptop is different. 

NikoB

In fact, this is a very amateurish review, for a simple reason - most will not be able to replace the panel with a better one in terms of resolution (frequency) for a trivial reason - the BIOS (and video driver) most often do not support panels that differ in frequency and resolution at the screen brightness control level (and Even if you're lucky it's supported, it may not operate at full range or the rise curve will be uncomfortable). This has already been proven many times by those who have tried to replace a panel that differs in resolution and/or frequency.

As for VA panels, the author is lying again - I have before my eyes a top-end Super PVA panel of the 3rd or 4th generation with 94% AdobeRGB and a real response of 7ms (which was once noticeable in games) even at 60Hz. It simply has standard viewing angles, which the owners of 99% of laptops can only dream of.

The problem is that real VA panels (and not IPS variations passed off as VA) have never been installed in laptops (I don't remember a single model with a Super PVAx matrix in laptops over the past at least 15 years), apparently due to their increased consumption.

From the point of view of native contrast, VA always outperformed IPS by up to 2 times. VA has 2 key drawbacks (which is generally typical of cheap IPS) - color shifts when viewed at an angle and loss of dark shades when viewed perpendicular to the screen - but the second drawback, for black text on a white background (but not vice versa), turns into a huge plus for Compared to IPS, visually such text looks even more contrasting.

So I would be glad for laptops to have SuperPVA4+ generations with a native contrast of 2000:1+, but alas, in reality most laptops have pathetic IPS with 800-1200:1, at best, and even without A-TW a polarizer that eliminates Glow glare at an angle. They have long since stopped being installed even on expensive monitors (except for two recent models from LG, which bought this technology a long time ago but did not use it for a long time).

Well, doing an independent upgrade to AMOLED is generally stupid and unhealthy - they all flicker, fade quickly and have poor color accuracy and often the color resolution is lower than declared, unlike IPS/VA.

By the way, if anyone doesn't know, TN panels, thanks to the smaller interpixel distance than IPS with approximately the same resolution, display text and graphics much more monolithically in practice. And among TN there are also very high-quality models. One of these good TNs was once installed in my 2008 MSI (until the backlight burned out from old age, although the laptop still works and even the battery is 15 years old) - 1680x1050. I simply could not find an original panel from Samsung in 2016 on the market - only compatible panels of unknown quality, so I could not replace it.

So most people simply have not seen high-quality panels, neither TN, nor VA, nor IPS with an A-TW polarizer. And having seen them, I bet many would give up even the thought of replacing them with a flickering AMOLED with a bunch of shortcomings.

NikoB

And don't forget that AMOLEDs are all glossy, which greatly tires the eyes when there is a lot of glare on the screen. Finding a semi-matte AMOLED is a utopia.

If you mostly work with text (especially) and static photos, forget about AMOLED. They only make sense for dynamic pictures - videos or partly games.

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 06, 2023, 16:43:11color shifts when viewed at an angle
You don't even need to look at an angle, at 24+ inch SPVA colorshifts on the sides when you look at the center. And if you have two of those and sit between them, sides on the left and right are a mess. People easily will pick IPS and OLED over SPVA when they are side-by-side.

Quote from: NikoB on December 06, 2023, 16:48:05glossy, which greatly tires the eyes
Bs

NikoB

On my SuperPVAx (I don't know exactly the panel, because I've never opened it, and AIDA64/HWinfo does not provide this information), the angles are simply excellent, super, and no сolor shift is observed within the range of head movement, otherwise I would have noticed it, like on older versions of PVAx, including PVA2, which I had. There was also a monstrous response time there - brownish/red plumes. But the picture was still super for the eyes, and all my my friends, different people, who did not yet have an LCD or had cheap TNs, having sat with mine with PVA2 in 2002, immediately asked what model it was, where to
buy, because when reading the text, the eyes rested there ( back then, many LCDs had low-frequency PWM, especially NEC, I got rid of one of them immediately), despite all the shortcomings.

So the author of the review is definitely lying, lumping together TN+VA vs IPS. There are simply excellent VA panels, head and shoulders above most IPS laptop screens for sure. And most users, if they sat at them, would immediately pull out their wallet to make a purchase.

Even TN were very good from Samsung, some models. I took that MSI for a simple reason - against the background of dozens of laptops standing on the shelves in dozens of stores, I just immediately fell in love with its screen. It's a shame that the screen backlight burned out after about 8 years, but it still had CCFL. The driver may have burned out - it is still external there, and not inside the panel.

Of course, modern 2.5-4k is a cut above, but at that time it was a very high-quality screen for text. With very good horizontal viewing angles, but of course much worse than on a monitor with SPVAx, the viewing angles on this one are simply ideal.

It's a pity, I somehow found a very interesting review on PC Magazine a few years ago (I forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find it by searching to give a link) - they assessed viewing angles with a special sensor. And it turned out that many expensive monitors are complete junk in terms of viewing angles, compared to 2-3 times cheaper models in terms of the degree of contrast and brightness drop at an angle. I was very surprised then by how huge the spread between them turned out to be in real (and not declared) viewing angles after testing with a sensor under the same conditions.

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 06, 2023, 19:25:35I don't know exactly the panel, because I've never opened it
You don't know the display model you are using?

Quote from: NikoB on December 06, 2023, 19:25:35having sat with mine with PVA2 in 2002
Imagine your friends seeing OLED near your PVA in 2002.

NikoB

Quote from: A on December 06, 2023, 19:42:03Imagine your friends seeing OLED near your PVA in 2002.
That screen was matte, and the AMOLED had a nasty gloss. With my lighting in the room, my friends immediately said that your filthy AMOLED is complete crap. And when I showed them the usual pencil test, showing how the filthy AMOLED flickers and showed that there is no flickering on PVA2, it would be all over for AMOLED. And to drive an aspen stake into the heart of AMOLED bots, I would tell them that this panel will become completely poor in color accuracy (will burn out) after 7-8 hours, while one of my SPVA monitors has already clocked more than 41,000 hours and shows no sign of giving up, still boasting a peak brightness of over 300 nits with CCFL backlighting.

Only uneducated fools buy laptops and monitors with AMOLED - this is an extremely harmful and pointless technology for work. It is suitable for games and movies, but not for text and graphics.

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 07, 2023, 13:39:04my friends immediately said that your filthy AMOLED is complete crap
Yeah, when they saw your AMOLED in 2002 I presume.

So looks like we are not getting the model of your S-PVA.

NikoB

Bot A, are you still tired of being a juvenile clown? You can't really object to anything anywhere. And when you can't, you just post meaningless garbage. They're so stubborn, they usually end up badly, you know?

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 07, 2023, 14:33:51Bot A, are you still tired of being a juvenile clown?
Chill dude, you are the only clown here.

Quote from: NikoB on December 07, 2023, 14:33:51You can't really object to anything anywhere.
I simply asked if we are going to get your S-PVA screen model. Simple question.

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 06, 2023, 16:43:11I have before my eyes a top-end Super PVA panel of the 3rd or 4th generation with 94% AdobeRGB and a real response of 7ms
This one, it's before your eyes, right? Can I get a model?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview