News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

4 alternative search engines to help wave farewell to Google

Started by Redaktion, March 22, 2023, 09:57:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

These not as famous search engines do not require users to give up all of their privacy, all while delivering search results of similar (and sometimes higher) quality than their better-known rivals Google and Bing.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/4-alternative-search-engines-to-help-wave-farewell-to-Google.697462.0.html

toto1234

Duckduckgo jumped on the censorship bandwagon a while ago.

It's even worse than Google for policaly oriented searches.

sbo3k

Including Yandex over Qwant and Startpage, which are both under GDPR and some of the strongest privacy governances in the world, is indeed an opinion...

toto1234

Quote from: sbo3k on March 22, 2023, 12:50:20Including Yandex over Qwant and Startpage, which are both under GDPR and some of the strongest privacy governances in the world, is indeed an opinion...

Did you actually try Yandex ?
It's pretty powerfull and finds a lot of links that don't even appear in all the Western censored search engines.

Qwant is just a joke paid by french taxpayers, since the company is heavily funded by the french government.
This of course is completey against the so called neutrality that they claim to have .

toto1234

Quote from: Meemo Krohkohdeehl on March 22, 2023, 11:51:17toto1234 - more details, please!

You can just do a comparison by searching stuff related to the US Republicans, the Twitter files or anything related to Covid policies.

You will be amazed by how much information Duckduckgo does NOT find, on purpose of course.

Now that we openly know that the US government, the CIA and FBI actively participated in censorship on Twitter, you can be 200% sure it's the same for all the US tech companies.

Alexander_

But the author of the article himself (who is Russian, by the way) "forgot" to indicate that:
  • Immediately after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the CEO of Yandex, unable to withstand the pressure of the Kremlin, announced that he was resigning.
  • The Kremlin itself has powerfully "integrated" into the search engine through "RosKomNadzor" (harsh censorship, propaganda, distortion of facts and powerful filtering from the search engine of a number of sites and sources commissioned by the Russian government).
  • The EU included the founder of Yandex (Arkady Volozh) in the list of sanctions.
  • And the co-owners of Yandex are VTB Bank and Roman Abbramovich, who are also under sanctions.
  • Thousands of Yandex employees left Russia after February 24, 2022.
  • The search engine of the Russian government 2020 for a long time (as well as the "golden share").

Yes, Yandex also produced quite high-quality services, but:
  • if you want propaganda output in the search - use it;
  • breakthrough innovations stopped in this (once very powerful) company.

P.S. this search engine and its services have been blocked in Ukraine since 2014.

A

It's hard to find an alternative for google. I tried some like duckduckgo, but it simply fails on context search a lot. Sometimes I have to put every word in quotes just so it stops ignoring words for no reason. Of course google has gotten worse over the years (no I am not talking about censoring), I mean ever since they did the change of adding vague keywords to up ad revenue. But even then, google gave the best results tested.

Quote from: toto1234 on March 22, 2023, 13:13:01
Quote from: sbo3k on March 22, 2023, 12:50:20Including Yandex over Qwant and Startpage, which are both under GDPR and some of the strongest privacy governances in the world, is indeed an opinion...

Did you actually try Yandex ?
It's pretty powerfull and finds a lot of links that don't even appear in all the Western censored search engines.

You are missing the point he is making, being in Russia which has loose privacy laws, for all you know your data is being sold to the highest bidder. And I don't mean google style where they match ads with you, I mean your actual personal data.

The whole point of google alternative is precisely to have privacy. If you are so called trying to go around censorship, you are not going to get that with yandex. Just last month there was a leak of yandex source code which shows yandex does their own share of censorship far worse than most search engines. I would be even more careful of their results precisely because Russia has had a long history of funding political descent in other countries.

PS I've never ran into links that won't appear inside western search engines as you claim. If they don't appear they are most likely adult content which can be toggled. Otherwise, most of the time when people say censorship, they are talking about auto suggest or deranking. But you can still find them just fine.

Arrell

Brave sometimes uses Bing results and has dependencies on Google.

DDG is entirely reliant on Bing.

They are not true alternatives.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview