News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel's legendary Core i7-4770K is a decade old this year and mobile CPUs now run circles around it

Started by Redaktion, January 21, 2023, 11:49:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Intel Core i7-4770K launched close to 10 years ago, back in June 2013. It delivered a solid update to Intel's third-generation processors, but it was also partially responsible for launching Intel into its dark ages. Is it still a capable budget CPU in 2023, and should you upgrade if you have one?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-s-legendary-Core-i7-4770K-is-a-decade-old-this-year-and-mobile-CPUs-now-run-circles-around-it.683437.0.html

NikoB

I just laugh at this news. My old PC from 13 years ago from 2009 on i5 750 Linnfield @3.8GHz handles everything effortlessly, including youtube 2560x1440@60fps. And pulls 4k@30fps.

All sites open quickly. I have an I5 8300H laptop nearby - it's only slightly faster...

s***-code written by s***-programmers of modern s***-companies is the reason for the obsolescence of powerful hardware, which even 13 years ago had no less than 50 GFlops 64 bits of precision...

This is just the wildest idiocy of modern development tools based on unified "cubes" for idiots, where instead of real highly educated and qualified programmers who have been taught for at least 5 years, apes with a minimum of intelligence who have completed monthly courses are already working ...

Vaardu

Quote from: NikoB on January 21, 2023, 13:09:48I just laugh at this news. My old PC from 13 years ago from 2009 on i5 750 Linnfield @3.8GHz handles everything effortlessly, including youtube 2560x1440@60fps. And pulls 4k@30fps.

All sites open quickly. I have an I5 8300H laptop nearby - it's only slightly faster...

s***-code written by s***-programmers of modern s***-companies is the reason for the obsolescence of powerful hardware, which even 13 years ago had no less than 50 GFlops 64 bits of precision...

This is just the wildest idiocy of modern development tools based on unified "cubes" for idiots, where instead of real highly educated and qualified programmers who have been taught for at least 5 years, apes with a minimum of intelligence who have completed monthly courses are already working ...

I second this. Trying Vegas Pro 18 on a WX4150 equipped i7 4810MQ laptop versus an i7 9750H Quadro RTX 3000, the difference is negligble with C4K 400Mbps video.

More power = lazy optimisation.

NikoB

Quote from: Vaardu on January 21, 2023, 13:19:48More power = lazy optimisation.
Hahaha, they don't have this trick anymore - they are in a dead end! Moore's "Law" has long died, and consumption is already on the scale so much that they are ALREADY prohibited from such consumption at the level of the authorities. And then they have no choice but to admit defeat to the entire IT industry and start optimizing the code.

Instead, idiots are trying to generate low-quality code through neural networks and GPTChat...

And here is a surprise to the exploiters! High-quality developers are expensive, and it takes 5-8 years to teach them high-quality code and the right approaches to architecture and a broad outlook...

Moreover, even high-quality "blue" collars are expensive. The exploiters are panicking. And they fire in batches - bio-garbage or smart, but dangerous for their undertakings.

NikoB

The trick is that they achieved their current performance in Alder Lake H not at a limit of 45W, but at a limit of 90W+, and this is simply an impossible level on laptops, which is why they all now howl heart-rendingly at the H series with such consumption. 110WCPU+140W GPU = 250W. In a laptop!!!

I have a desktop processor overclocked by 42% + the video card consumes the same amount!

This is a complete madhouse in laptops and even more madhouse in desktop PCs, where consumption has already exceeded 500W!

Well, Europeans can combine two goals at once - this is both to play modern games and to warm the house. Perhaps that is why they are bought in Europe - as an apartment heater. ;)

In CPU Queen (AIDA64) after 13(!) years the i5 13600K is only 4x faster than my Linnfield i5 [email protected]! 4 times after 13 years! While from 2001 to 2009 processors became at least 10 times faster!

Naturally, they will have to put in more and more effort to write quality code, but quality code is becoming more and more expensive, and there are fewer and fewer people on the planet capable of doing this in % of the population. It's an existential dead end...

Anonymousgg

None none

Legendary? LOL. Try lazy. Intel didn't make any significant gains until gen 8, when AMD started making them s*** their pants again.

Rane90

Looking at the charts, except for the single core performance comparison, all other comparisons between the tiger lake 1165G7 and the 4770K shows that the performance overlaps given your error bars. There is more to the story here - the mobile parts can't sustain PL2 values past their "tau" times. Their cooling systems also can't sustain the PL2 values. When the cores fall back to PL1, the performance in long term sustained performance for multicore is similar for the 1165G7 and 4770K. The new raptor lake mobile CPUs have PL2 values at 155W. A large amount of the performance change in the past few generations can be traced to not IPC changes (before tiger lake), but gradually increased PL2 and hence vastly faster single core and short-term multicore performance. At the moment with Alder/Raptor lake, we are looking at a PL2 to PL1 ratio in the range of 3, whereas during the Haswell/Broadwell era, we were looking at PL2 to PL1 ratios just greater than 1. I would argue that high PL2 to PL1 ratios are not intended to be sustainable for long workloads, but rather are designed to game benchmarking.

ApoloN

I have Intel I5 4460 and i still play everything - cyberpunk 2077,CS Go, PUBG, fortnite, whatever you say, Maybe 95% of the games.

Bayumu

Just recently sold my old desktop with a i7-4790. I just felt like upgrading, but the processor, while paired with a GTX 1060 6Gb, ran everything I threw at it. Even finished Cyberpunk 2077 on it.

Artk

While that 1165G7 will definitely win some benchies, I guarantee you it'll crumble under a sustained load. It just comes down to thermal constraints, and a laptop doesn't have anywhere for the heat to go. The clocks on that G7 would go down to the base of 1.2 ghz, and it doesn't have 3 times the efficiency to make up for that.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview