News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 65 W Ryzen 7000 Review: Able Core i9-12900K and Core i5-13600K challenger that is US$70 less than Ryzen 7 7700X

Started by Redaktion, January 09, 2023, 18:02:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The AMD 65 W Ryzen 7000 non-X lineup seeks to make Zen 4 available at more affordable price points. Today, we test the AMD Ryzen 7 7700 and see how it performs vis-à-vis its higher TDP cousins and also against the Intel Raptor Lake competition. While the Ryzen 7 7700 can get you near-Core i9-12900K performance for US$70 less than the Ryzen 7 7700X's MSRP, extraneous factors such as high DDR5 prices can put a spanner in the works.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-7700-65-W-Ryzen-7000-Review-Able-Core-i9-12900K-and-Core-i5-13600K-challenger-that-is-US-70-less-than-Ryzen-7-7700X.680150.0.html

RobertJasiek

Den 7700 hätte ich heute gekauft, wenn RTX 4000 nicht überteuert und heute zu UVPs verfügbar wäre und mein bevorzugter Mainboardhersteller vollständige UEFI-Update-Informationen bereitgestellt hätte, ohne dass man erst jetzt nochmal im Detail nachfragen muss, ob und wie man den 7700 zum Laufen bekommt.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: RobertJasiek on January 10, 2023, 07:31:59Den 7700 hätte ich heute gekauft, wenn RTX 4000 nicht überteuert und heute zu UVPs verfügbar wäre und mein bevorzugter Mainboardhersteller vollständige UEFI-Update-Informationen bereitgestellt hätte, ohne dass man erst jetzt nochmal im Detail nachfragen muss, ob und wie man den 7700 zum Laufen bekommt.
Was there any particular UEFI-related issue you encountered? The new chips should be drop-in compatible with any socket AM5 board that is currently available without requiring a BIOS update.

RobertJasiek

Asrock suggested for several boards that one must update the UEFI  (they wrongly call them BIOS) using an USB stick (no CPU required on those particular boards).

MSI suggested for several boards that new compatibility information and UEFI (they wrongly call them BIOS) updates on their webpages would be available today but is not yet. Apparently, it would have been too much to provide availability even for midnight PST. So one would have to check again in a couple of days. I am unsure about update installation details because nothing related has been answered thus far (nor any confirmation given wether an earlier UEFI would do) and I have not bothered to read manuals yet to find out whether a Ryzen 7000X-CPU is needed to update the UEFI for then using a Ryzen 7000 (non-X)...

Why do you think the AM5 socket would be sufficient? The UEFI must let the inserted CPU work! Either the earlier UEFIs enable Ryzen 7000 (non-X) or they do not.

For earlier boards and CPUs, I asked manufacturers similar questions and they told me UEFI updates would have been needed, unless already installed in retailed boards sold some months afterwards. However, we cannot assume current retailers to have boards with UEFI versions that are not even on MSI's own webpages yet! (Besides, it can also happen that a retail box rots for many months at a retailer so that UEFI would still be old.)

Asrock says that the "BIOS" version uploaded during production were shown on a small sticker on the "BIOS" chip itself but
retail boxes would not have any such information. (Would be too simple then for retailers and endconsumers;) )

If you want to ask MSI support such questions, do so separatedly for each board you might be interested in because they answer only for one board if you ask the same question for all your candidate boards. Thereby, support trying to save work time generates more work for themselves or discourages endconsumers to become customers.

JJ

You tested the AMD platform with DDR5 6000 CL30 while you used results from Intel using 5200 CL38 DDR5. That is wildly BIAS and invalidates your results. These results would be grossly different in certain applications if you used apples to apples memory, and Intel can use FAR higher DDR5 speeds vs AMD. You basically used maxed out XMP/EXPO DDR5 for AMD while using slow JEDEC DDR5 for Intel. Hell you didn't even use Intel SPEC of 5600. I had that exact Z690 Hero board in the past and it easily can use 7000 CL34 DDR5. Do better.

GG

Quote from: JJ on January 10, 2023, 21:22:39You tested the AMD platform with DDR5 6000 CL30 while you used results from Intel using 5200 CL38 DDR5. That is wildly BIAS and invalidates your results. These results would be grossly different in certain applications if you used apples to apples memory, and Intel can use FAR higher DDR5 speeds vs AMD. You basically used maxed out XMP/EXPO DDR5 for AMD while using slow JEDEC DDR5 for Intel. Hell you didn't even use Intel SPEC of 5600. I had that exact Z690 Hero board in the past and it easily can use 7000 CL34 DDR5. Do better.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RobertJasiek

MSI has now, on 2023-01-11, listed 7600, 7700 and 7900 as compatible CPUs for several mainboards. Every board's newest "BIOS" is from late 2022. For some boards, such a BIOS is linked below every new CPU so one might guess that any preinstalled BIOS would make these CPUs compatible. However, to be sure, I have asked MSI for confirmation for every mainboard I am interested in.

These mainboards are significantly more expensive than previous generation boards. At least in one respect, their price is justified: they have a Flash BIOS button and, according to their manuals, allow any necessary BIOS updates without CPU / RAM installed. Of course, this will not be so for all boards, won't it?

RobertJasiek

Of 4 new queries on 4 MSI mainboards, 1 was answered on the following day, the other 3 first were not answered. Only after my reply to the 1 answer, today an answer has also been provided for the other 3. Accordingly, the mainboards

MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

MPG B650 CARBON WIFI

MPG X670E CARBON WIFI

MPG B650 EDGE WIFI

are also compatible with Ryzen 7600, 7700 and 7900. My statement is without warranty.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview