News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo's new wireless DisplayLink dock - how it works and why Macs are left out for now

Started by Redaktion, January 09, 2023, 14:20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the purchase of the DisplayLink manufacturer, Synaptics developed wireless DisplayLink and is introducing it to the market via Lenovo. The new docking concept is used in the ThinkBook 13x Gen 2 for the first time but still doesn't develop its full potential. There are also some bad news for Mac users.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-s-new-wireless-DisplayLink-dock-how-it-works-and-why-Macs-are-left-out-for-now.680089.0.html

Jesse

I don't see any benefit of this, when you dock a laptop you probably want to charge it anyways so in that case you may as well transmit the display thought to cable. So your not making it any more convenient by making it "wireless"

And if you addressed concerns about network traffic, why not just not wirelessly transmit the display to begin with. Imagine if EVERYONE in an office building wirelessly transmitted on top of regular wireless usage. I don't think that would be pretty. Just my two cents.

Raghuram

Interesting concept allowing flexibility to use multiple laptop owners to use the same single docking station without any issue. Also wireless display makes it convenient to avoid a lot of cables running around and messing up the room. It also means I can wall mount the monitor little further from where I can when using a wired docking station.

But, isn't this already achieved by using a wireless display / mirror and a bluetooth / wireless keyboard and mouse. The traditional docking station allows users to conveniently operate the laptop without having to cramp the fingers on the laptop's keyboard and monitor. How far do you think the user will be sitting away from the monitor to use it as wireless display and needless to say the lag when playing high end games on wireless connection. If I am going to spend a lot of money setting up a wireless docking (rightly stated as oxymoronic) and sitting right next to that for work, it might end up spending less on a wired one which is more reliable.

P.S: I am using a simple usb c extension on my mac and it allows me to work / game with a set of wired gaming keyboard, mouse and a monitor. If I need to connect any other device to that (an ipad, windows or android device), I simply unplug the single point usb c connection and reconnect to the device I want and viola I got all accessories and display connected to new device and it costs me $30 or less for the connector. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview