News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13 9315 laptop in review: Low performance, incredible battery life

Started by Redaktion, August 11, 2022, 12:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

P processors for the XPS Plus, U processors for the normal XPS. Dell's fragmentation shows: You can forget about the normal version with a U-class processor, if you are after fast performance in a 13-inch device. Instead, it is meant for entertainment and simple office tasks with its good runtimes, low emissions, and high-contrast FHD display.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9315-laptop-in-review-Low-performance-incredible-battery-life.640173.0.html

joegalamb

M1 Air: same price, double the performance without a fan, better screen, even better speakers, even better battery life.
If Windows is not mandatory, still a no-brainer choice.

h4

At the time the M1 was announced and was competing against the Tiger lake, the Tiger lake was said to have half the performance of the M1, twice the power consumption, and 1/4 the power efficiency, proving that intel would never win, and that ARM was superior to x86.

One and a half years later, Alder lake-U (9W)'s performance is 80% of M1 in Geekbench5 (1230U:1463/5940, M1: 1704/7433), battery life is doubled and the laptop weighs 150g less than a Macbook Air.

Meteor lake is rumored to be difficult to raise the clock and is likely to take advantage of its power-saving characteristics, and once there, it will surpass M2 in terms of both performance and efficiency.

Incidentally, the 1230U actually has a fanless use case (Fujitsu LOOX).

Bareback

Quote from: Cameron on August 13, 2022, 18:45:34Soldered SSD? Goodbye.
"Noooo, I can't contribute to pointless waste of resources!"
Cry me a river. We're saving the planet, whether you like it or not.

Nathh

It could have been nice to see the difference between the Dell XPS 13 9315 with i5 and with i7. Maybe the i7 version can be an interesting option regarding the bad performances of the i5 version ? Do you have an opinion on the matter ?

n7pdx

Quote from: h4 on August 19, 2022, 11:57:02One and a half years later, Alder lake-U (9W)'s performance is 80% of M1 in Geekbench5 (1230U:1463/5940, M1: 1704/7433), battery life is doubled and the laptop weighs 150g less than a Macbook Air.

Not quite.  Running a benchmark will cause the Intel chip to boost and destroy the battery life.  M1 remains topped out at ~6 watts for the p-core.

Dell is between a rock and a hard place stuck using Intel trash.

REN

Quote from: n7pdx on September 06, 2022, 01:15:16
Quote from: h4 on August 19, 2022, 11:57:02One and a half years later, Alder lake-U (9W)'s performance is 80% of M1 in Geekbench5 (1230U:1463/5940, M1: 1704/7433), battery life is doubled and the laptop weighs 150g less than a Macbook Air.

Not quite.  Running a benchmark will cause the Intel chip to boost and destroy the battery life.  M1 remains topped out at ~6 watts for the p-core.

Dell is between a rock and a hard place stuck using Intel trash.

You must haven't read the whole article to say M1 stays at 6w in benchmarks LMAO

shawman

why is this 9w chip compared to P chips which have way higher TDP and can boost even higher. Its good that Dell is giving options with this chip, 15w U chips and 28w P chips and one can choose depending on use case. Question is how is the performance relative to previous 9W chips?

on comps with M1, its doing good considering huge process disadvantage. Let us wait until MTL-M chips release next year when we will have apples to apples comp.

Dorby

Quote from: shawman on September 22, 2022, 18:29:46why is this 9w chip compared to P chips which have way higher TDP and can boost even higher. Its good that Dell is giving options with this chip, 15w U chips and 28w P chips and one can choose depending on use case. Question is how is the performance relative to previous 9W chips?

on comps with M1, its doing good considering huge process disadvantage. Let us wait until MTL-M chips release next year when we will have apples to apples comp.
Because it shows that even Intel P and Ryzen HS chips are relatively inefficient and a worse choice for the majority of people who need ultrabooks to function as ultrabooks, despite BS advertising from laptop manufacturers.

For the 1% minority who need multi-threaded CPU horsepower, the market already offers hundreds of performance laptops with P, HS, H, and HX. Right now it is the Ultrabook market that is sorely lacking in good value choices with so much cost cutting going on due to lower revenue across the board.

9W chips have the best chance against MacBook Air which sells more than all of premium windows ultrabooks combined. Prior to 2021 Intel only had 7W Core-M/Y chips that failed to deliver both single-core performance and power efficiency. At last with 12th Gen U9 and Steam Deck's Ryzen chip, Intel and AMD are just starting to become competitive.

NAND

Quote from: Bareback on August 19, 2022, 15:42:41

Yeah, saving the planet and resources by sending to whole laptop to the trash when one of the NAND chips eventually fails.

Cameron

Quote from: NAND on October 10, 2022, 17:20:52
Quote from: Bareback on August 19, 2022, 15:42:41

Yeah, saving the planet and resources by sending to whole laptop to the trash when one of the NAND chips eventually fails.

Exactly, if I wanted to add to e-waste, I'd get a MacBook instead. And yes, tmSSDs have a finite lifespan. Bareback is completely wrong; this is a piece of disposable trash.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview