News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell Inspiron 16 7620 2-in-1 convertible review: Mylar and aluminum chassis

Started by Redaktion, June 17, 2022, 02:29:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Though still rare, 16-inch convertible laptops are becoming more common nowadays. The Insprion 16 7620 2-in-1 is one of the more affordable ones in its category and it even sports the latest 12th gen Intel CPUs and GeForce MX GPUs to be as fast or faster than most other convertibles.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-16-7620-2-in-1-convertible-review-Mylar-and-aluminum-chassis.628030.0.html

NikoB

Pros:
1. very good cooling system. Very silent with very good performance.
2. Good wi-fi antennas.
3. Very good battery (but drop performance from it).

Cons:
1. Bad keyboard for 15.6+ - no digital block for office/developing/sience and etc.
2. Not good panel - very low contrast ratio. Low ppi (need 2560x1600 for 16"). Huge panel reponse - need <16ms b2w/g2g.
3. Very bad HDMI port - only 1.4 in 2022! (sick!). Need 2.1 48Gbits.
4. Very slow card reader.
5. Very slow RAM performance. No DDR5. Xe need DDR5 6400 (as in Macbooks).
6. Very slow SoC in some tests from AIDA64 for CPU vs. i5/i7 TigerLake. This is system problem for all new generation from Intel - AES/RayTrace64 as minimum.

As a result, it is not clear to whom this model is intended? For an office with such a keyboard, it is not needed for nothing. For the home, perhaps, too (there are "game notebooks" drive there as a "multimedia" - weight is not important for home us from room to room in 95% time). Another unsuccessful attempt by Dell marketers is not clear what and for whom. Neither yourself nor mass consumers...

The Lenovo Legion 5 Pro case and its keyboard can serve as the standard for all industry (case of HP Omen 2018 too). Well, perhaps the weight is greater. But what's the difference in weight more than 2kg? No problem. Both not "street" laptops.

As a result, everyone who needs a normal "multimedia" or office laptop is once bought as before the Legion 5 Pro version with GTX3050 and does not remember the quirks of Dell with an exorbitant price. They just stand the same in the market. What idiot will be bought from this Dell, when for the same money you can take a full and lodge younger version Legion 5 Pro with super 165Hz 2560x1600 panel+HDMI 2.1, very good ports and place for it for use on work and for home? I think this is a rhetorical question. If Dell/HP does not change their minds, Lenovo will take the whole market from them. As Huawei once took from Apple, but this company was stopped cynically by brut-force...

Pulvereis

Very good review. I bought this Laptop for university and sold my almost new iPad pro + an old hp laptop. I need something to take notes on and something to compute python scripts and other stuff that only runs on windows. I also wanted a big screen and big screen convertibles are very rare. This laptop fits my needs almost perfectly.

The only thing i don't like is the slow ssd. I really would like to upgrade to a faster one but am not sure if the M.2 port does support pcie 4.0?
Maybe they put in a pcie 3.0 card because the port is not good enough for anything else?

Also i consider upgrading the ram to 32GB in a few years or when i see that 16GB is not enough. What would be the fastest SO-Dimm that works with this laptop?

JasonP

I found a Japanese site called thehikaku.net that reviewed the traditional version of this - Dell Inspiron 5620, and they found that the HDMI port can drive up to 4K 60Hz Looks like they just cheap out on the certification. Can you test the HDMI port in the future?

JasonP

Quote from: NikoB on June 17, 2022, 16:17:49When for the same money you can get Legion 5 Pro...
Checks website, "Ships in 2+ months" Lmao no you can't.
Also worse battery life, heavier, thicker, no touch screen, 720p webcam, no fingerprint scanner.
Dell and apple are the two companies that still grow despite the PC industry shrink for the last two quarters from their consumer sales. Cope harder bro

NikoB

Quote from: JasonP on June 20, 2022, 04:13:58
Quote from: NikoB on June 17, 2022, 16:17:49When for the same money you can get Legion 5 Pro...
Checks website, "Ships in 2+ months" Lmao no you can't.
Also worse battery life, heavier, thicker, no touch screen, 720p webcam, no fingerprint scanner.
Dell and apple are the two companies that still grow despite the PC industry shrink for the last two quarters from their consumer sales. Cope harder bro
Legion 5 Pro 2021 is no worse. And available. Against the background of the L5Pro, this one from Dell is a pathetic product with a grainy screen.

Lenovo has a problem only with the cooling system - they stubbornly refuse to raise the temperature of turning on coolers above 70C in a normal office-surfing load. Due to this, they give a standard 2-year warranty to everyone, unlike 1 year for Dell. Dell made the right move with the G5 5587 by raising the cooler turn-on threshold to 72-75C - almost all the time the laptop is silent. All other manufacturers need to do the same and achieve the same thresholds for turning on coolers with a core load of no more than 35%.

NikoB

70С+ turning on coolers with 35% of the average core load in the "maximum performance" mode...

This is the Achilles' heel of almost all "gaming laptops" (and not only gaming laptops, which looks even dumber in practice) - in the "maximum performance" mode, they turn on the coolers too much even at a load of 25-30%. Asus is especially famous for this case. And MSI is the only company that, at the level of proprietary software, directly allows the owner to adjust the turn-on threshold for coolers. Alas, lenovo and dell do not allow either at the BIOS level (table) or at the software level, only choosing preconfigured power modes that do not suit many at all.

Chris stephan

I just bought this laptop. Checked the panel and it's the same as the review unit you guys tested. My sRGB coverage is 76% using colorchecker display plus(xrite). Ideas?

Dell customer

I bought this laptop a few weeks ago. The battery doe not last more than 5 hours when my brightness is on 80% I'm running Word and Excel and only a few tabs in my browser - no video or audio.

The max brightness is not bright compared to other laptop brands. I can't use this outside in the daytime.

The 1080p camera looks like 240p, unsuitable for Zoom, Webex, Skype, etc.

Dell's customer service is NOT helpful at all. I contacted them about returning it several times and they never got back to me. Dell does not care about their customers and that's the worst part.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Dell customer on December 03, 2022, 23:01:26Dell's customer service is NOT helpful at all. I contacted them about returning it several times and they never got back to me.

I which country have you bought it from Dell? What are Dell's stated conditions and the laws for returning a computer in / for that country? It is all fine and well if complain but we should also have a possibility to judge whether you actually have a right to return the computer.

manu63970

Hello

Thanks you for your excellent article.

I bought this computer, and I can say it is quite good.

I noticed two weaknesses:
- the MaxxAudio application generate CPU usage (makes FAN run when using audio) and some strange effect on audio system
- my screan is the OLED 4K, constrast and colors are impressive but on white, grey, I'm facing a kind of Screen Door Effect, getting the impression of a low resolution screen :'(

Do you have tips on these topics ?

In your article, you are speaking about screen tuning for delta E, I understood it was dedicated for IPS, do you have any tuning setting for the OLED one ?

Thanks for your feed back
Best regards,
Emmanuel

NikoB

The color resolution of most AMOLED panels is dramatically lower than that of honest IPS. Plus a vile flickering latently affecting vision and the nervous system.
Plus, up to 2 times less resource of organic LEDs, compared to IPS backlight (usually 8k hours instead of 15k for IPS). Plus nasty gloss and glare always. Plus, AMOLED screens are almost always worse calibrated than IPS in terms of color accuracy, and because of the worse resource, it floats away much faster and needs to be calibrated more often. Which has already been proven by many reviews on this site.

Do you still want an AMOLED laptop or monitor?  Especially your children?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview