News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro 14IAP laptop review: Affordable subnotebook with 12 cores and 2.8K display

Started by Redaktion, June 16, 2022, 12:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo offers an interesting and affordable subnotebook with the Yoga Slim 7i Pro in the 14IAP configuration, which comes equipped with a twelve-core Intel Core i5-1240P and a 2.8K display. In our review, it displays various strengths, but also cuts back in the wrong place.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7i-Pro-14IAP-laptop-review-Affordable-subnotebook-with-12-cores-and-2-8K-display.629098.0.html

Bobbybobbob

I'm shocked that Lenovo is still including these underpowered power adapters on their laptops.

Notebookcheck, will the laptop draw more power and run at full load without battery draw using a 100W USB-C adapter?  This would be very, very important to test.  If a laptop's critical flaw can be addressed with a $45 power supply, it becomes a much stronger contender.

NikoB

I can again note with dismay the disgusting memory tuning from the factory, the memory pumping speed is below the norm and is significant for the LPDDR5 4800. There is also no latency in the review. And in general, writing AIDA64 mem speed it this way (as text) is dummy, it's easier to publish a test of memory and cache in AIDA64 with a screenshot so that there are no questions from those who understand the topic.

It seems to me that Intel and manufacturers are deliberately cheating with the Cinebench R15 test, this can be seen in AIDA64 Ray-Trace 64 (if you follow this benchmark, you may notice that some "gaming" laptops in this test have a phenomenal dip at 15W processors !) - everything is bad there, and in CBR15 the performance is simply phenomenal for such a processor (at the level of 12500H strangled under TDP or 5600H). Something is clearly wrong here... Well, it is clearly seen that as a portable system unit (otherwise it is impossible to use it with such a keyboard and a small screen anyway) it is noisy. What I dislike most about the reviews on this site is that the reviewers test the noise with a big jump, i.e. here is 9W, and then immediately 40W. Well, who needs such a table? It is necessary to introduce a test with a load on the cores of 15-20-30-40% (most often this is exactly what happens with serious surfing and some relatively light background tasks). There are special utilities such as S&M that allow you to set the % load on each core (and independently). And then it will immediately become clear how comfortable the laptop is in heavy surfing and office work tasks. But in fact, no one is interested in how noisy the bast shoes are at 90% + load on the cores - because this is an exceptional case. In fact, it is important for buyers when the laptop turns on coolers, at what threshold temperature. This is the so-called hysteresis point, which is configured in the BIOS at the factory. The higher this point, the quieter the laptop in practical tasks.
For example, Dell G5 5587, due to its huge weight and dimensions for 15.6, does not start coolers earlier than 72-75C on cpu. It's just as silent as a tablet/smartphone. And my other laptop from Asus, on the contrary, keeps the coolers on all the time under low rpms, but even at high load it is much quieter than the Dell G5 5587 when it accelerates the coolers to full. What's better? It is better when there is complete silence in heavy surfing and office tasks and an acceptable noise level (no more than 32-33dBA) with an average load on the cores. But this is exactly what is not reflected in the tests in any way, few people are interested in Idle mode with a consumption of 9W, because real surfing or background tasks immediately bring power to higher consumption levels.

NikoB

It's obvious that manufacturers and Intel are cheating with the CineBench test (So they know that everyone reads the reviews on this site and they are meaningful for the choice of buyers)  - compare this review with the PL1 50W and notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-Plus-laptop-review-Is-the-base-configuration-the-best-choice. 640441.0.html with PL1 48W!

The difference in the PL1 level from the factory is only -2W for Dell, but the processor speed in the CBR15 is immediately lower by -25-26% - average sustained 1655 points vs. average sustained 1210 with same 1240P! How is this possible if the review is claims that Dell's sustained PL1 level is only 2W less than that of Lenovo Yoga? It cannot be physically. How can the processor even in PL2 mode consume more and close to the PSU limit - this is also fantastic, but I see this in the review of Huawei D16 2022!

PHVM_BR

Quote from: NikoB on August 23, 2022, 21:42:40It's obvious that manufacturers and Intel are cheating with the CineBench test (So they know that everyone reads the reviews on this site and they are meaningful for the choice of buyers)  - compare this review with the PL1 50W and notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-Plus-laptop-review-Is-the-base-configuration-the-best-choice. 640441.0.html with PL1 48W!

The difference in the PL1 level from the factory is only -2W for Dell, but the processor speed in the CBR15 is immediately lower by -25-26% - average sustained 1655 points vs. average sustained 1210 with same 1240P! How is this possible if the review is claims that Dell's sustained PL1 level is only 2W less than that of Lenovo Yoga? It cannot be physically. How can the processor even in PL2 mode consume more and close to the PSU limit - this is also fantastic, but I see this in the review of Huawei D16 2022!
It's simple! The performance of the i5 on Lenovo is limited by power (PL1) while on dell the i5 is limited by temperature as it cannot sustain the value of PL1. XPS review was confusing at this point to indicate this, but sustained power is ~30W.

PHVM_BR

Quote from: PHVM_BR on September 18, 2022, 14:37:03
Quote from: NikoB on August 23, 2022, 21:42:40It's obvious that manufacturers and Intel are cheating with the CineBench test (So they know that everyone reads the reviews on this site and they are meaningful for the choice of buyers)  - compare this review with the PL1 50W and notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-Plus-laptop-review-Is-the-base-configuration-the-best-choice. 640441.0.html with PL1 48W!

It's simple! The performance of the i5 on Lenovo is limited by power (PL1) while on dell the i5 is limited by temperature as it cannot sustain the value of PL1. XPS review was confusing at this point to indicate this, but sustained power is ~30W.
Sorry, xps can sustain ~35W!

mike to Marcus

Marcus,
Is this a touch screen or no?

Because the model number you gave 7i Pro 14IAP G7, is listed as a touch screen on lenovo's website.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview