News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Co-founder of Tesla pegs today's EV batteries good for 15 years then precious for recycling like catalytic converters

Started by Redaktion, March 29, 2022, 17:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Today's high nickel or cobalt content in extended-range electric vehicle batteries could turn into a recycling bonanza towards the end of the car's useful lifespan, argues Tesla's co-founder JB Straubel. His company is now recycling up to 10 GWh a year and he says current EV batteries will last at least 15 years before the battery is sold for recycling.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Co-founder-of-Tesla-pegs-today-s-EV-batteries-good-for-15-years-then-precious-for-recycling-like-catalytic-converters.610692.0.html

vertigo

Quote from: Redaktion on March 29, 2022, 17:33:54Not only will today's electric car batteries last for the lifespan of the vehicles they power

Yet another of the issues with EVs that's simply ignored because it goes against the image of them being the solution to global warming, despite the fact several million ICE cars being replaced with EVs is a drop in the bucket compared to industrial usage. Since when is 15, or even 20, years considered a good lifespan for a vehicle. There are still many, many vehicles on the road that were built 20-30+ years ago. How much extra waste is being created and how much extra energy and materials are being spent making and replacing ICE cars that are perfectly fine just to save on their pollution or replacing an EV after 15 years when an ICE vehicle could easily last 20+ years. Maybe there really is a net benefit, but it irritates me that everyone, including regulators and industry, only seem to look at the effect *during* the car's lifetime, not in its production or more frequent replacement.

Not to mention they've convinced consumers to spend more on a vehicle with less range and questionable long-term reliability all to reduce emissions and then corporations, who are responsible for *significantly* more emissions, do little on their end. They've managed to displace the responsibility and create more profits at the same time.

Rasec

It pains me to think that if electric my 17yo Audi A4 which still is my daily driver would be no more than recycle material unless i did an upwards  20.000€ battery replacement. And everyone seems to think that's a good thing.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Rasec on March 29, 2022, 23:28:21
It pains me to think that if electric my 17yo Audi A4 which still is my daily driver would be no more than recycle material unless i did an upwards  20.000€ battery replacement. And everyone seems to think that's a good thing.

Would it save you more money to use electric charging instead of gas, even with periodic replacement of the batteries? That's the only thing that should matter to the consumer.

Rasec

Hmmm, lets see: 300.000km on an average 5,5l/100 at 1,4€/l would have a total cost of 23.000€. Subtracting electricity costs means it wouldnt be economically beneficial. Besides i plan to still use the car and it has resale value if i want to sell it. An electric with dead batteries is pure recycle material. Even accounting free electricity the cost of having to buy a new car demolishes any kind of comparison.

King rocker

Missing the point. Batteries are not dead after 20 years, they still have very good value whether via recycling (expensive materials) or another 20 years of service on grid storage. So you're way off.
Also: new chemistries are coming up, much cheaper.
It's game over for ICE, sit back and watch the show.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview