News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI GE76 Raider Laptop Review: With Alder Lake and RTX 3080 Ti to gaming heaven

Started by Redaktion, January 25, 2022, 15:01:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

What happens when you combine the fastest notebook CPU with the most powerful notebook GPU you can get right now? MSI's answer to this question is the new GE76 Raider. We tested the performance of the 17-inch gaming system.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE76-Raider-Laptop-Review-With-Alder-Lake-and-RTX-3080-Ti-to-gaming-heaven.595391.0.html

Beware

MSI makes quite okay hardware, but their software is TERRIBLE! I have a GE76 Raider with 10870h and insists on one having to use their god-awful Dragon Center for adjusting settings: the thing is enormously bloated, when attempting to adjust fan-curves, it doesn't actually show temperatures as a number anywhere, but instead just as a colour bar from blue to red -- useless! --, it keeps on nagging for you to register and for you to take backups and whatnot and so on. Also, Dragon Center is the only way to toggle dGPU-mode on or off, so once MSI abandons Dragon Center and it stops working on then-current Windows-version, dGPU-mode will become unuseable. There is no option in the BIOS to turn dGPU-mode on or off.

Also, as someone with another, older MSI-laptop: once MSI can no longer be arsed to update the audio-drivers, you'll lose all the Nahimic-features! The drivers for the older laptop no longer work with current Windows 10 and the generic driver doesn't contain the stuff required for Nahimic to work, so all that audio-goodness went right out the window!

It's really shameful that reviews never take a look at the software these gaming-laptops come with.

indy

:o

Amazing that you casually test 30+ games and just barely mention doing so. And it's in a database that is searchable and comparable to both past and future devices/software/etc.  Talk about humble.

This is a great site. Thank you for all the unfathomably hard work it must take to put something like this review together.
-Indy

azooz

who pay 5000 $ for low resolution display like 1080p except some idiots , it's funny to see some manufacturers still using low resolution display in 2022 with powerful graphics cards such as RTX 3080Ti and 3080 who capable to run games at 1440p smooth enough above 60 fps , even 360 Hz is pointless and overrated refresh rate , a lot of games are not optimized to achieve 360 FPS on ultra 1080p which makes 360 Hz useless refresh rate , both RTX 3080 and 3080 Ti should only comes with 1440p 240 Hz and 4K 120 Hz , for me I think buying this laptop who cost around 5500 $ with low resolution display is stupid decision and waste of money, for 1080p display I personally prefer to stay with my GTX 1660 Ti laptop rather than buying this laptop , I feel satisfied and good with my 1080p gaming laptop 1660 Ti  and I am not actually interested to upgrade unless to 1440p 240Hz 3080 Ti gaming laptop

RobertJasiek

For basic use, such as viewing videos, some people can while others cannot perceive the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz, let alone 240 or 360 Hz. I am curious: is this so also for 3D games or would each user notice larger Hz?

Framerate

Quote from: RobertJasiek on January 30, 2022, 07:30:58
For basic use, such as viewing videos, some people can while others cannot perceive the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz, let alone 240 or 360 Hz. I am curious: is this so also for 3D games or would each user notice larger Hz?

That's not how any of it works: the framerate of the video does not change no matter how fast display you have. If the video has been recorded at e.g. 25FPS, then it's 25FPS, even if you're watching it on a 360Hz display. The only case, where this wouldn't apply, is if you're using specialty-software to interpolate frames, therefore artificially raising framerate, but none of the most popular video-players, web-browsers or such even have such an option, let alone enabled by default.

It's a different thing for games and such, where the image isn't a recording, but it's instead rendered every time it's pushed to the display.

RobertJasiek

Thank you, I am beginning to understand things. So suppose we have both a display with high Hz and genuine contents (such as a game with that many FPS) with that Hz. Then, in principle, the user has the possibility of seeing visual contents more smoothly. However, I still wonder whether every user can perceive 360Hz contents as smoother than 60Hz contents or some users simply do not perceive any difference.

Alex Markov

I both MSI GE76 with i7-12**  3800TI and 4K display - the display is amazing and overall laptop is very fast and quiet, very quiet (I am comparing with Aero 15 and schencer 15 pro)

ACW Servis

The problem with MSI laptops, however powerful and good they may seem on paper, that they are terrible in the long run, especially in the after-warranty period. After 3-4 years, you will run into defects and faults. You will need new fans (thats a sure thing), a keyboard, perhaps hinges or lid will crack and you will need replacement. With MSI, chances are you are screwed, as the parts will be unavailable very soon.

On the contrary I have no problem servicing old Elitebooks, Zbooks (7+ year old laptops) Alienwares and Precisions (basically anything Dell branded) or ThinkPads. Even Acer is a sure thing, Aspires from 2010 are still 100% serviceable.

TheObsidianOrder

You're being biased but I have an Asus ROG laptop right now and after a year or so the fan started slowing and making noises not to mention big overheating problems fast-forward 6 months and the keyboard keys wore down and some keys don't work or broke itself and 2 USB ports are shot and the fan needs to be changed. Barely 2 years old and needs over 400 in work done to fix just the keyboard and fans replaced not including repasted or anything else!!! Will never buy another Asus laptop again!!!!

Glen Hassell

The 10th Gen GE76-10UH, was the greatest computer of any form, I've owned in 37 year's of gaming, cracking, coding, developing, programming, encoding, ripping, zipping, recompiling and anything else you can possibly mention. It was only equalled by the devastation I've felt since it was stolen, without insurance and another 2 year's of finance to continue paying. My advice is by all means, it's the best computer of my life. Please consider insurance & guard the thing with your life. Jealousy is not something that most people even consider but I've learnt to my detriment, it has no limit to the destructive nature of people.. as a pensioner, disabled & unable to work anymore.. I can only urge you to get insurance! Enjoy the best, your worth it.

mecan

I think one of the standouts of the GE series has been its good speakers as it has dedicated subwoofers. But, there is NO mention of that, except for the graphic of Hz results. I think you need to call that out. I am not sure if you need to test 30+ games at different settings. Test 10, and we will still be very happy about it.

PE23

Quote from: ACW Servis on March 02, 2022, 17:29:25The problem with MSI laptops, however powerful and good they may seem on paper, that they are terrible in the long run, especially in the after-warranty period. After 3-4 years, you will run into defects and faults. You will need new fans (thats a sure thing), a keyboard, perhaps hinges or lid will crack and you will need replacement. With MSI, chances are you are screwed, as the parts will be unavailable very soon.

On the contrary I have no problem servicing old Elitebooks, Zbooks (7+ year old laptops) Alienwares and Precisions (basically anything Dell branded) or ThinkPads. Even Acer is a sure thing, Aspires from 2010 are still 100% serviceable.

well, I just bought this exact same laptop with the 4k 120hz (500nits, 100% Display-P3) version.
It came out alright, but there were a lot of bugs, especially with Windows 11. It also had some issues with the bluetooth. Other from that, it's fine.
Only 2 years of warraty though (in this 2 year period you can also call them to come to your house to fix it too)

My old elitebook x360 830 g6 had already failed. The bottom has already fallen off and is bent. Many of the keys fell off and it overheats too much. The performance sucked and i cant even like open like adobe apps. it just instantly crashes. I bought it in 2020 with like i5-8265u and the worst screen type. their warranty sucked and i cant do anything now. I put it in my drawer forgotten now.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview