News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Surface Laptop 4 for Business could be the version to get if you want a 13.5-inch model with an AMD Ryzen 7 4980U APU

Started by Redaktion, April 14, 2021, 22:24:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft has restricted the smaller Surface Laptop 4 to the AMD Ryzen 5 4680U, but not if you buy the 'for Business' edition. Better still, the Surface Laptop 4 for Business version is also the cheapest way to get Microsoft's laptop with an 8-core processor, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Surface-Laptop-4-for-Business-could-be-the-version-to-get-if-you-want-a-13-5-inch-model-with-an-AMD-Ryzen-7-4980U-APU.532564.0.html

robin7

Quote from: Redaktion on April 14, 2021, 22:24:13
    Ryzen 7 4980U, arguably the most powerful processor option available on the Surface Laptop 4   

4th gen Ryzen 7 is far worse in Single threaded CPU, integrated GPU, and battery life than Tiger lake and trail in most real usage including gaming and office productivity unless you are into running Cinebench multicore in a thin and light laptop. Arguing this as the most powerful processor is very dishonest to say the least.

DAVID SALSERO

to use less memory in AMD than in Intel is very dishonest and a shame and to play in worse conditions.
I do not understand Microsoft why using the 4000 Series when it is almost twice as powerful as the 5000 Series that came out 5 months ago is a shame on Microsoft's part.
If I had put the 5000 Series it would sell like hotcakes because it surpasses the 11th generation of intel by far.

Sean Tyler

Microsoft is already experiencing pain with AMD not being able to supply enough CPUs for the new Xbox models.  Maybe going with last year's version was a way to minimize the impact of the AMD supply issue.

But limiting the model to 16GB is not fair.  I wonder if Intel is pressuring Microsoft, Dell, and others to limit their AMD-based laptop product development.

A 15" or 17" AMD "5000" based Dell XPS would sell very well.

S.Yu

Quote from: robin7 on April 15, 2021, 00:58:57
    Ryzen 7 4980U, arguably the most powerful processor option available on the Surface Laptop 4   

4th gen Ryzen 7 is far worse in Single threaded CPU, integrated GPU, and battery life than Tiger lake and trail in most real usage including gaming and office productivity unless you are into running Cinebench multicore in a thin and light laptop. Arguing this as the most powerful processor is very dishonest to say the least.

Hmmm, they made it quite clear that from the numbers they ran it should slightly surpass the 1185G7, so if you're arguing the opposite you should bring some data to back it up.
Quote from: DAVID SALSERO on April 15, 2021, 09:22:36
to use less memory in AMD than in Intel is very dishonest and a shame and to play in worse conditions.
I do not understand Microsoft why using the 4000 Series when it is almost twice as powerful as the 5000 Series that came out 5 months ago is a shame on Microsoft's part.
If I had put the 5000 Series it would sell like hotcakes because it surpasses the 11th generation of intel by far.
MS hardware is almost always outdated as it is overpriced, just buy something else and be happy, like an HP for comparable or in some aspects even better hardware for 30-40% cheaper than MS.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: robin7 on April 15, 2021, 00:58:57

Author here:

Core i7-11865G7 may have the edge in most synthetic single-core work, but the Ryzen 7 4800U has an 11% lead from our tests:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/i7-1185G7-vs-R7-4800U_12248_11681.247596.0.html

The Iris Xe Graphics G7 96EUs GPU and the RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000) are even:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Vega-8-R4000-vs-Iris-Xe-G7-96EUs_10313_10364.247598.0.html

As for battery life, that is harder to judge. The SL4 will make for a good comparison between the two architectures, though.

The Yoga Slim 7 (Ryzen 7 4800U) achieves more minutes per Wh than the XPS 13 9310 (Core i7-11865G7), although I appreciate that this is not much of a metric.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Ryzen-7-4800U-is-an-Absolute-Monster-Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7-14-Laptop-Review.456068.0.html#toc-energy-management-better-performance-per-watt-than-an-intel-nvidia-combo

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Core-i7-1165G7-vs-Core-i7-1185G7-Dell-XPS-13-9310-4K-Laptop-Review.508989.0.html#toc-energy-management

So no, I don't think I was being 'very dishonest to say the least'.

_MT_

Quote from: S.Yu on April 15, 2021, 23:22:23
MS hardware is almost always outdated as it is overpriced, just buy something else and be happy, like an HP for comparable or in some aspects even better hardware for 30-40% cheaper than MS.
For me, the main attraction is the 3:2 aspect ratio. Especially in the 15" version. Normally, I wouldn't touch a machine like this with a barge pole. It has so many negatives. But that vertical space... I can't think of a single alternative. Of course, an option is to simply go bigger. The new 16" 8:5 Legion should have even a bit more vertical space (and classic 15.4 is not that far off). Or any 17" 16:9. Unfortunately, HP is quite backward when it comes to aspect ratios, still deeply in love with 16:9 and 17" is not that common size. The only other thing I like is the magnetic connector. Nothing else comes to mind.

S.Yu

Quote from: _MT_ on April 17, 2021, 09:44:21
Quote from: S.Yu on April 15, 2021, 23:22:23
For me, the main attraction is the 3:2 aspect ratio. Especially in the 15" version. Normally, I wouldn't touch a machine like this with a barge pole. It has so many negatives. But that vertical space... I can't think of a single alternative. Of course, an option is to simply go bigger. The new 16" 8:5 Legion should have even a bit more vertical space (and classic 15.4 is not that far off). Or any 17" 16:9. Unfortunately, HP is quite backward when it comes to aspect ratios, still deeply in love with 16:9 and 17" is not that common size. The only other thing I like is the magnetic connector. Nothing else comes to mind.
My Spectre x360 14 is 3:2, is cheaper(my JP version is even cheaper than the US version, but I'll have to deal with the wonky keyboard layout), has more ports, more storage, a larger battery, better cooling, far superior OLED screen and better looks, and comes with the stylus included, problem solved:)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview