News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Huawei's dishonesty continues as it argues that people who call HarmonyOS an Android skin have no idea about software, despite admitting that its OS runs on AOSP

Started by Redaktion, March 05, 2021, 15:43:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alejandro Albornoz

The bias of your analysis is very funny, the opinions are valid, they do not matter without arguments or not, the importance is only estimated to the extent of their seriousness and strength of their arguments.  The author committed suicide intellectually.  It is very curious, anyone could think with the same logic that they are being paid to discredit the huawei software, right?  ;D ;D ;D

Valentinez Keiser

I read through like... 3 comments before I was like "Huawei pays people to bash articles that bash them. Fact." Lol

I know nothing of this new OS, but if it's BASE is AOSP... you didn't produce a new OS. It's like saying Fedora and Ubuntu are different (yet, both are a LINUX flavor, if you will)

If I wanted to produce a new OS, it would have to, at it's BASE and CORE, NOT run on DOS, UNIX, or Linux... It would have to be something else entirely. So if I used a Linux kernel, and said NEW OS! Yeah... I'd be full of S#!t! Just another flavor of Linux.

Just a hint: (you need to develop your own code, to create your own new OS!)

NOT based on Java, or C, or anything. Reinvent the wheel before you try to reinvent transportation. Otherwise, you just have another fancy car.

aer4a

Dear author,

You can't really accuse Huawei of dishonesty. Even if they used AOSP as the basis of their new OS, it is not dishonesty to say that it is a brand new OS, it can be a  derivative or a FORK of open source Android.

That is how exact OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE works.

aer4a

Quote from: Valentinez Keiser on March 06, 2021, 05:46:27
I read through like... 3 comments before I was like "Huawei pays people to bash articles that bash them. Fact." Lol

I know nothing of this new OS, but if it's BASE is AOSP... you didn't produce a new OS. It's like saying Fedora and Ubuntu are different (yet, both are a LINUX flavor, if you will)

If I wanted to produce a new OS, it would have to, at it's BASE and CORE, NOT run on DOS, UNIX, or Linux... It would have to be something else entirely. So if I used a Linux kernel, and said NEW OS! Yeah... I'd be full of S#!t! Just another flavor of Linux.

NOT based on Java, or C, or anything. Reinvent the wheel before you try to reinvent transportation. Otherwise, you just have another fancy car.

It doesn't necessarily like Hongmeng OS is an Android distribution. A wrong comparison. In embedded systems(Smartphones), you have to make sure that your code will work on your devices. In the Linux world, the Linux kernel already works on all major x86 hardware, so all you have to do is to package a given Linux release then patch it with your favorite desktop, and you have another Linux desktop distro. Not so with Android and Huawei.

The point of Huawei still stands, you people including the author of this article do not understand how "OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE" works.

If Huawei is using their own LiteOS kernel with codes from AOSP so that they can run Android apps, then you are all wrong. Similarity on the UX/UI is immaterial.

Faeez Hendricks

I think this article is far too harsh. Basically dishonesty. So what if its running EMUI11? rather build on what people know than something totally new that needs another learning curve.

Sure its not new from the ground up and i actually expected this. If they built a new os from scratch then it would take them much longer to get an OS up and running and they have been running out of time.

Obe or two points i do agree with but the rest od your article purelt bias and invalid unfortunately.

Faint

Is this topic still considered to be a thing in tech community? Ars Technica tried to falsely prove Harmony OS is the same as Android by comparing their system level behaviors even though Huawei clearly stated in the presentation that what sets Harmony OS apart from Android is its kernel and compiler. The said article was also wrong about the current development status of ArkCompiler and Huawei being the only company who asks for photo ID when creating developer accounts (Apple does this as well in many cases), but not many people seem to acknowledge those inaccuracies, either.

In the previous HarmonyOS related article, instead of analysing the original report carefully and reaching an independent conclusion about how accurate it was, you guys really just doubled down on their claims without even fact checking it and put a click bait title onto it to further spread questionable information. Now this time around the title says 'despite admitting that its OS runs on AOSP' despite the official clearly stating that is not the case in the very article you are quoting. Just ask a developer who has worked with Linux kernel before about it and you will see this 'controversy' quickly falling apart.

Anonym

Nothing like using a fork of the Linux kernel (LiteOS kernel) to justify why a fork of AOSP is a "brand new" OS created from scratch instead of what it really is. No wait, it's the compiler that saves it all! Because we all know this, if you use a different compiler to compile somebody else's code then, all of the sudden, the code magic morphs into something that is yours.

Pathetic.

AndyChow

It's obvious most comments are paid by Huawei. No, HarmonyOS does not have it's own microkernel. They claimed it, analysis shows it's a pure fork of the Android kernel. Once again Huawei show that they are thieves and liars. Not surprising, considering their CFO is in custody.

Paul Dodd

Huawei's marketing department wrote the press release without clearing it with the developers. Happens everywhere. Firms (not only Chinese, also but U.S. and European) need to adopt a healthy failure culture and admit mistakes and mis-communication. Perhaps the message should be that it's a brand new OS based on Android.

kek

Quote from: AndyChow on March 06, 2021, 14:31:26
It's obvious most comments are paid by Huawei. No, HarmonyOS does not have it's own microkernel. They claimed it, analysis shows it's a pure fork of the Android kernel. Once again Huawei show that they are thieves and liars. Not surprising, considering their CFO is in custody.

Which part of the analysis are you talking about?

MARKHOR

All I would say is that the West wants to be Hypocritical about anything that The Great Dragon does, But the Actual Problem is that the West doesn't and will NEVER APPRECIATE CHINESE ADVANCEMENT IN TECHNOLOGY AND OTHER THING IS THAT THE WESTERN WORLD 🌎 WORLD 🌎 NEVER ACCEPT THAT THE CHINESE DRAGON HAS OVER TAKEN THE WEST OF WHICH THEY WILL ALWAYS BE OF DENIALS

zebulun

the author of this article is clearly the one who being mentioned by Huawei that do not understand how open source software works. disgusting.

Faint

Quote from: Anonym on March 06, 2021, 12:59:51
Nothing like using a fork of the Linux kernel (LiteOS kernel) to justify why a fork of AOSP is a "brand new" OS created from scratch instead of what it really is. No wait, it's the compiler that saves it all! Because we all know this, if you use a different compiler to compile somebody else's code then, all of the sudden, the code magic morphs into something that is yours.
If you think running the entire Android subsystem on a non-Android kernel and developing a completely different compiler for it are an easy task, I don't know what I'm supposed to tell you anymore. "Brand new" obviously refers to its architecture and how the OS can be configured compared to other Linux folks or Android, with one of its biggest advantages being the ability to run whatever the system you want on top of its microkernel (as well as multikernel) structure.

El Capitan

Whenever dissent and pushback comes in > "waaah commenters are paid by huawei. Why must muh narrative be broken?"

You guys are too far gone on media brainwashing to even consider how much info is fed to you already twisted. Just let the damn thing come out and then everyone can make their conclusions.

People expecting it to be vastly different than EMUI must be new to humans. Hint: they don't like change. You have to ease them in.

S.Yu

Quote from: Valentinez Keiser on March 06, 2021, 05:46:27

Yeah there's less than a handful of real comments here, the rest are anonymous trolls, just like what Huawei attempted at Best Buy back in 2018. Most articles here don't even have a single comment yet when it comes to exposing Huawei suddenly dozens of unregistered comments pop up bashing the author, and none of them is actually interpreting the confusing Huawei statement in the article just repeating the empty claims from the comments in the last article, yeah not suspicious at all.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview