News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX is a Mobile Beast: Asus ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 SE GX551QS Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, February 08, 2021, 16:14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

45 percent faster than the Core i9-10980HK, 45 percent faster than the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q, and over 7x faster gray-gray response times. The 2021 Zephyrus Duo 15 SE GX551 makes last year's Zephyrus Duo GX550 feel outdated already.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900HX-is-a-Mobile-Beast-Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-Duo-15-SE-GX551QS-Laptop-Review.518181.0.html

X

If they put this CPU and GPU combo in an updated ROG S15 it'll be an absolute winner, and it seems like a no brainer as it'd probably decimate Razer's blade sales as well. Fingers crossed as I'd buy that straight away (as long as they don't give it a low wattage 3080...)

Rob Warne

Quote from: X on February 08, 2021, 18:05:18
If they put this CPU and GPU combo in an updated ROG S15 it'll be an absolute winner, and it seems like a no brainer as it'd probably decimate Razer's blade sales as well. Fingers crossed as I'd buy that straight away (as long as they don't give it a low wattage 3080...)

Cool story but my Blade 17 out performs the duo in most of the games tested. Yes, that's with the Intel cpu and 100w gpu. This is concerning from Asus if these benchmarks are correct.

Spunjji

Quote from: Rob Warne on February 08, 2021, 18:14:37

Cool story but my Blade 17 out performs the duo in most of the games tested. Yes, that's with the Intel cpu and 100w gpu. This is concerning from Asus if these benchmarks are correct.

Cool story but you're comparing a 17" notebook to a 15" for some reason. The same components in a 17" design with decent cooling would annihilate that Razer running its Intel CPU.

Also, lol @ this tortured turn of phrase from the article:
"AMD may be finally catching up here and then some"
Seriously, "may" be? Jeez! It's a clear win on single-core performance.

dude what

top tier 15 inches laptop, awesome cpu performance but the gpu is still a solid 15-20% behind a desktop 3070, depending on the resolution, that's a bit underwhelming
Looking forward thick 17 inches @150W to see if that gap shrinks a bit

Gigaboly

Great laptop, nice cpu results but this 3080 not that good compare to super cards, surprisingly high dpc latency, still soldered ram, 2 hours battery life, and the price at 3699+tax around 4k, i prefer to get the Scar 15..

Ngoro

Any chance for review of the same laptop but with 300ms FHD display and also 1920x550 ScreenPad?
this hispter's 4K display on 15" is completely utterly useless in the real world.

Rob Warne

Quote from: Spunjji on February 08, 2021, 18:44:52

Cool story but you're comparing a 17" notebook to a 15" for some reason. The same components in a 17" design with decent cooling would annihilate that Razer running its Intel CPU.

I'm comparing it because they are directly comparable. Asus's flagship vs Razer's flagship for the Ampere launch. Both with 120hz 4k displays, touch screens and 3080 cards.

Look at the stress tests - as the Asus is running cool and pulling higher wattage, chassis size is irrelevant. Size and cooling is not the issue here. It's something else. Could be Ryzen's lack of pcie bandwidth, could be lack of a MUX. Look at Jarrods latest video too and draw your own conclusions.

You can't tell me you'd be happy with that performance?

undervolter0x0309

God bless AMD/Asus and Nvidia! Absolute beast that I can't wait to receive!
Supporting Asus hard this time around. Great initiatives!

ChinaLiedPeopleDied

Dear CCP, please replace oblivious Asus management with people who don't deny the existance of Covid and add webcams to all laptops.

Seriously, not adding a webcam after Nov 2019 should be punishable by the cane

S.Yu

Any specifics about C port charging? Why is it discouraged? Would it fry the motherboard? Overall this looks very solid. One can never hope for a perfect model but this seems like the next best this generation.
Also...why is the G15 so much more efficient with its battery? Because the 4K screen and the secondary screen in the Duo are that inefficient? What if the secondary screen is turned off?
Quote from: Rob Warne on February 08, 2021, 20:25:31
Quote from: Spunjji on February 08, 2021, 18:44:52

I'm comparing it because they are directly comparable. Asus's flagship vs Razer's flagship for the Ampere launch. Both with 120hz 4k displays, touch screens and 3080 cards.

Look at the stress tests - as the Asus is running cool and pulling higher wattage, chassis size is irrelevant. Size and cooling is not the issue here. It's something else. Could be Ryzen's lack of pcie bandwidth, could be lack of a MUX. Look at Jarrods latest video too and draw your own conclusions.

You can't tell me you'd be happy with that performance?
Hmmm, I personally was happy with it until you brought this issue up. Definitely worth investigating but if AMD really is the issue then the Blade 15 should similarly outperform this model.

jhunt

Honestly that label could also be interpreted as warning against use of replacement barrel chargers!! So I wouldn't be wholly certain that Asus are directly putting down USB-C charger use.

Dorby

You should clarify whether an Nvidia laptop has Optimus, MUX, Advanced Optimus, or non-Optimus. This is more important in this generation than ever before due to performance difference in certain games, combined with Dynamic Boost. Also because power consumption and differences will be noticeable for consumers comparing battery life.

The graphic performance gains of this RTX 3080 seems very minimal compared to a RTX 2080 Max-P / 2080 Super Max-P, at least according to Review Channels on Youtube.

I don't know why this particular review keeps referencing a 2080 Max-Q in the previous model. Doesn't it makes sense to compare a 3080 Max-P to an equally well cooled 2080 Max-P laptop of a similar price point ?

MOFO

Great laptop and amazing CPU performance but I have to say these high end RTX 3000 series GPU's are very underwhelming compared to last gens .
Not impressed with that aspect, you definitely won't see me upgrading

TKay

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview