News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 AMD Review: Best Business Laptop you can buy?

Started by Redaktion, November 17, 2020, 23:30:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakob P

Now that Gen 2 AMD machines are coming out, it's worth noting that Lenovo hasn't managed to fix the abysmal power consumption for T14/P14s devices in sleep state - 1.26 W for Windows ("S0ix" sleep) and 1.7 W for Linux ("S3" sleep) as per the long-running forum thread: forums.lenovo.com/topic/findpost/27/5037674/5360771

This seems to affect also T14s and X13 devices, and is kind of a deal-breaker given that one would not expect laptops to die in sleep mode in less than two days. When you're testing Gen 2 devices, please pay special attention to this issue as it's kind of a deal-breaker for many people. Especially since Lenovo's Intel devices or HP's AMD devices both manage power consumption below 500 mW.

vertigo

Anyone considering the Gen 2 devices should take heed to the fact that there are still many issues with the first gen ones. Even after a clean reinstall, after a few weeks I once again started experiencing many of the same glitches/bugs mentioned in my review elsewhere. Also, I use my laptop at work most days on an intermittent basis, which generally involves use for a few minutes here and there and occasionally for around half an hour to an hour, and in between it sits with the lid closed, sometimes idling, sometimes I put it to sleep. So a good mix of use, but ultimately extremely light and for limited amounts of time, yet it's not uncommon to have to plug it in partway through the day. In other words, it'll drop 50-60% in a matter of ~5-8 hours off the charger, where it's only being actively used for maybe a few hours and the rest of the time it's ~50/50 between idling and sleeping. Just completely unacceptable.

Another issue I've been having is that when I go to use it, sometimes just opening the lid is enough to wake it, sometimes I have to press the power button, and sometimes even then it just flashes the power button light, which I assume is its way of saying I need to press the power button to wake it. The problem with that is two-fold: one, it clearly is awake enough to register that I'm trying to use it and recognizes that fact, but instead of just waking and letting me use it, it stubbornly insists I press the power button first, as if just to be difficult; and two, it will often take multiple presses of the power button before it will actually wake up, which is just another glitch that fits right in with all the rest. I really hate this laptop and look forward to replacing it with one that actually works properly. If only I could find one that does without having a keyboard designed by somebody who apparently never types.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview