News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

VRR Gamma problems with LG CX and C9 OLED TVs may leave PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X gamers with a headache

Started by Redaktion, November 06, 2020, 16:55:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

LG's CX and C9 OLED TVs may look exquisite, but they have a serious issue with displaying content with variable refresh rate (VRR) enabled. From washed-out dark areas to image flickering and instability, VRR is currently a no-go on some of LG's expensive OLED TV series. A firmware update may not be able to resolve the issues, either.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/VRR-Gamma-problems-with-LG-CX-and-C9-OLED-TVs-may-leave-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-gamers-with-a-headache.502464.0.html

QuiteFalling4OLED

All's I can do is laugh I've had nothing but problems with OLEDs and have returned them all. I bought the LG LED version and it's only shortcomings is it has 2 HDMI 2.1 (which is enough for both consoles so who cares). It runs VRR fine with no issues whatsoever and the quantum Dot looks great for a LED.  Stop falling for these TVs there's a reason Samsung don't use them.

Jacob

Currently the PS5 doesn't have VRR, so this isn't really problem yet.

I personally have not really had any issues using on Xbox.

Attila

I have an OLED 55 E9 and completely satisfied with it. I have it almost for a year now and no burn ins or other issues whatsoever. I personally would not go back to any other kinds of tv. The quality's just incomperable.
Oh and I bought a 5 year full guarantee just in case, so if I do find any pixel or burn in issue, lg changes the whole panel and for the 3rd report the whole tv. So yeah, OLED is far from trash. At least for me, it is the best I ever had.

StopMakingStuffUp

Quote from: QuiteFalling4OLED on November 06, 2020, 23:50:03
All's I can do is laugh I've had nothing but problems with OLEDs and have returned them all. I bought the LG LED version and it's only shortcomings is it has 2 HDMI 2.1 (which is enough for both consoles so who cares). It runs VRR fine with no issues whatsoever and the quantum Dot looks great for a LED.  Stop falling for these TVs there's a reason Samsung don't use them.

Yes I suppose that's also why Samsung is actively developing its own qd-oled displays for the near future too eh? LCD won't beat oled, that's where microled will come in, but for now there's no point pretending that oled isn't the current king of display technology

Fred Lead

As stated in the linked video after 4:08, all TVs with VRR have shown gamma shift. The LG OLEDs are the only TVs with a contrast ratio high enough to make it more noticeable. Sony "fixed" this problem in their OLEDs by not having VRR and even tried to "fix" 120hz issues with excessive motion blur on the X900h. Gamma shift isn't an LG problem, it's a VRR problem. Every competing TV with VRR still has the same issue and a serious problem. The Q90 lights up about 50% of the panel in game mode, despite having tons of dimming zones, and the X900h has blur.

BummerIfTrue

Well --- that'll be a bummer if true. I just picked up an LG CX, literally on this guy's recommendation from a previous video, as well as dozens of other articles. Guess I'll have to see for myself on November 12th.

Better F'ing fix it then

I bought this tv for the very purpose of next gen gaming after reading a lot of articles and reviews which states the CX as one of the very best to purchase to future proof and now 4 days before the construction les are released we get this bullshit. I'm fucking livid and LG better start a recall on these became se putting down $2k on a tv isn't chunk change. It's enough to make me never buy their brand again and smear their name every chance I get.

Falko

So it's ok if you use your TV for new gen console, CX is best option. No VRR issue,only if you connect your PC!
But there is hope to update by next firmware.
VRR problem is PC thing.

Lollipop

There's some videos on easy workarounds about black crush  and washed out greys  . It seems lowering the brightness slightly as well as changing some in console settings . Not sure if it fixes the flickering but multiple people who've reported the problem still recommend LG CX for gaming .

Check out Ninjacan AV's video  on do LG oleds crush black .

Muhammad Ahsan Tariq

I just contacted LG regarding their VRR issue. And they DENIED THE ISSUE ALTOGETHER!!

My question was :
I was looking to buy the LG CX 55 inch model but found out that it is having some MAJOR VRR Issues. So, I wanted to ask that what LG is doing to solve that issue, and will that issue be resolved by any future update, or will LG release a new model to address the issue?

LG's reply :
Dear Mr./Muhammad .,

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics Email support.

Regarding your inquiry we would like to inform you that We didn't receive any complaints about this model

If you have any questions or assistance, please contact us again

Thank you
LG customer service.

Ali Mohsin

After i update my 55CX it's working fine on new X BOX series-X on 120hz, it's amazing gaming experience with LG OLED TV, guy's update your software if you find flickering issue's.

Thomas Jenkins

Quote from: QuiteFalling4OLED on November 06, 2020, 23:50:03

Is that the Samsung who announced they're spending 10 billion on investing and building OLED TV's from now on lol?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview