News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

Started by Redaktion, September 21, 2020, 10:48:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Following a separate revelation about AMD's RX 6900XT potentially beating the GeForce RTX 3090 in gaming workloads, tipster @_rogame revealed what appear to be VRAM specs for two Big Navi GPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-Navi-VRAM-specs-leak-16GB-Navi-21-and-12GB-Navi-22-go-head-to-head-with-GeForce-RTX-3080-and-RTX-3090.494835.0.html

Rinnnnnn

Based on AMD's recent gpu track record, I'm really doubting that even AMD's best can go head to head with Nvidia's top of the line. But if the rumored RX 6900XT really does match up with 3090, that would be great for competition. In the end, the consumers win  :)

Ira Wechsler

Based on leaks from rogaine,  Not an Apple Fan, and other reliable sources. AMD'S RADEON 6000 product line will steal the thunder from Nvidia's paper launch ( less than 500 card were available in all of Noryh America on sale day) Not drones but paper launch designed to steal mindshare from AMD's coming launch. The AMD cards will equal , if not beat the 3080,3090, and 3070 with performance, more memory, at a lower power draw. I call that egg in the face for liar Gensen.

Mister

Not sure if I would want a big navi instead of a Nvidia 3000 with much better drivers... No vsync, anti aliasing and anisoptric filtering on amd drivers (yes the options are there but they only work for directx9 games)
Also the display settings (gamma, per color channel options) are worse too. Dlss and ray tracing will be added to the list.
And a look on google shows that amds 5000 series had many more problems even MONTHS after release

deksman2

Quote from: Mister on September 21, 2020, 18:22:39
Not sure if I would want a big navi instead of a Nvidia 3000 with much better drivers... No vsync, anti aliasing and anisoptric filtering on amd drivers (yes the options are there but they only work for directx9 games)
Also the display settings (gamma, per color channel options) are worse too. Dlss and ray tracing will be added to the list.
And a look on google shows that amds 5000 series had many more problems even MONTHS after release

What?
The drivers debacle is ancient at this point and tired out.
Vsync and anisotropic filtering not being available?
I'm sorry (and I don't mean to sound rude), but which decade do you live in?
I have both functioning across all modern games on Vega 56 and latest drivers... FreeSync also works properly (has been from day 1).

How are display settings worse? I and many people who use Polaris, Vega and Navi don't have any problems.

DLSS?
Seriously?
When Extremetech compared DLSS 2.0 and FidelityFX (from AMD), it found the following:
"According to Ars, while DLSS 2.0 improves performance on the RTX 2060 Super, AMD's FidelityFX CAS apparently improves performance more, with better visual fidelity. This is not to imply DLSS 2.0 performs poorly: THG notes that using DLSS 2.0 can boost a desktop RTX 2060 up to 77fps, well above the 60fps threshold.

One interesting difference is THG and Ars award different winners in terms of overall image quality. When describing AMD's FidelityFX, THG writes: "[T]he sharpening and upscaling causes some visible shimmer. It's not terrible, and it's a way to boost framerates that some people will undoubtedly appreciate, but the effect was certainly noticeable when moving around." Here's Ars: "FidelityFX CAS preserves a slight bit more detail in the game's particle and rain systems, which ranges from a shoulder-shrug of, 'yeah, AMD is a little better' most of the time to a head-nod of, 'okay, AMD wins this round' in rare moments." Ars takes note of several places where DLSS still struggles with rendering, where AMD FidelityFX renders things perfectly."

You can find the article here:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/312359-death-stranding-delivers-4k60-with-dlss-2-0-fidelityfx-on-midrange-gpus#:~:text=According%20to%20Ars%2C%20while%20DLSS,more%2C%20with%20better%20visual%20fidelity.&text=One%20interesting%20difference%20is%20THG,terms%20of%20overall%20image%20quality.

As for Raytracing...
Big Navi is coming with hardware Raytracing.
You seem to have missed that point.

As for Navi having driver issues for months after release...
The black screen issues as well as crashing and BSOD's are not attributed solely to drivers (in fact, the large majority of users did NOT experience those problems).

OEM's (like Asus) who sell cheap GPU's are largely responsible for majority of these issues because they were creating AMD gpu's with low quality control (not testing their cooling assembly pressures, cutting corners, etc.), sending them with wrong/low quality cables (instead of using a displayport cable, they sent them with HDMI cables).

You should definitely inform yourself a bit better.

Every system I helped set up over the past year with all AMD hw using Polaris, Vega and Navi GPU's have been usually populated with GPU's from more reputable OEM's such as Sapphire Strix... none of them experienced driver issues as displayed on the internet (plus I made sure I updated the whole system, BIOS, Windows OS and that of course people had adequate PSU's in their systems).

With a high degree of variability between systems, you cannot just plug and play any component into an existing system without doing a little bit of research and understanding what is needed to make it work.

Most people who also had issues with AMD gpu's lately have been those with limited PC experience.
They failed to remove previous drivers completely from the OS (which easily interferes in operations with new GPU's)... they have dozens of ridiculous remnant programs in the background that slow things down and have not done basic maintenance.
They never upgrade the BIOS to  the latest version (not that its 'always necessary, but these days its sort of mandatory to ensure compatibility with newest hw), nor do they really update Windows.

These things may seem minor, but they can lead to a variety of problems which can interfere with regular PC functions.

PC's are mixed with different types of hw... saying that AMD had issues based on several people complaining on Reddit is preposterous.
Most of their claims were without context... couldn't explain anything in detail, let alone troubleshoot for potential problems.
The voracity of their claims was in question as well.

Gustafson

Quote from: Rinnnnnn on September 21, 2020, 15:43:07
Based on AMD's recent gpu track record, I'm really doubting that even AMD's best can go head to head with Nvidia's top of the line. But if the rumored RX 6900XT really does match up with 3090, that would be great for competition. In the end, the consumers win  :)

Highly unlikely. AMD is most probably gonna target 3080 or 3070 rather than 3090.
I don't expect to see the old X2 style gpus this time either. We might see that with RDNA3 with gpu chiplets though.

Mister

Quote from: deksman2 on September 21, 2020, 19:28:05

What?

Thanks for answering. That amds dlss and raytracing is good is a relieve.
As I said tho, vsync, aa and af only work for directx9 games.
The color options in Nvidia are just more advanced.
Not sure how all that adds up in the debate of Nvidia 3000 vs amd big navi now though...

Michael JG

I'd like to get an AMD graphics card simply because I'm getting an AMD processor, and I also want the newest one possible.  But new cards don't seem to approach the 728-bit baseline I've found in cards for around $1600 on Amazon.  This includes the new $2400 NVidea card that's only like 128-bit.  Are there any other recent good offers for high-end graphics?

Talos

these rumors come, literally after every. Single. Nvidia release.

Not once- not a single bloody time, has it been true.

AMD has- and will likely always be- the second best. The runner up. The budget option.

Joe

Rumors on top of rumors, is it really worth publishing this kind of garbage?
Big Navi is supposed to beat the 3090, a card that isn't even out yet? This is beyond speculation, it's blatant clickbait trash to excite fanboys.

Akatosh

People saying that this always happens..that they say AMD has a card they say is better than Nvidia's and that it never is true...that they are always second to Nvidia, that they are the budget option.

They said the same thing about AMD vs Intel...now look how that turned out. Never underestimate the power and guidance of Lisa Su...all hail Lisa Su.

Goodfries

With GDDR6 together with 256bit and 192 bit memory bus, hell no way its gonna beat NVIDIA anytime soon.

Spunjji

Quote from: Gustafson on September 21, 2020, 19:39:43
Quote from: Rinnnnnn on September 21, 2020, 15:43:07

Highly unlikely. AMD is most probably gonna target 3080 or 3070 rather than 3090.
I don't expect to see the old X2 style gpus this time either. We might see that with RDNA3 with gpu chiplets though.

Given that the 3090 is at best doing 20% better than the 3080 - and the 3080 is performing like double an RX 5700, which is lower than the predicted spec of a Big Navi - there's really no logical basis to make this assumption.

Same goes to everybody else who thinks that they're being smart by assuming that AMD will do the same thing they've done since Hawaii, completely ignoring that it's not the approach they took before then and that they are quite clearly taking a different approach this time.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview