News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

7 nm AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is as fast as the 14 nm Core i9-9880H and at half the TDP, but there's a huge catch

Started by Redaktion, August 28, 2020, 08:30:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Caslos

Amazing how many people here complaining about the comparison who obviously never bothered to read the entire article. Reading comprehension FTW!

Here's the end of the article for you -
"Since the Ryzen 7 4800U is so new, we'll have to wait and see what other OEMs can do with the processor outside of Lenovo. Its configurable TDP should allow for a wide range of compatible chassis designs and thus a wide range of performance differences between models."

GCC

Quote from: Caslos on August 29, 2020, 01:22:33
Amazing how many people here complaining about the comparison who obviously never bothered to read the entire article. Reading comprehension FTW!

"Since the Ryzen 7 4800U is so new, we'll have to wait and see what other OEMs can do with the processor outside of Lenovo. Its configurable TDP should allow for a wide range of compatible chassis designs and thus a wide range of performance differences between models."

Notwithstanding. A footnote on an obvious clickbait article does not make it any more reputable. Poor journalism none the less.

_MT_

Quote from: Caslos on August 29, 2020, 01:22:33

I have read the entire article, including the part you cite. The problem is that he is drawing conclusions about the processor from a single unit. And you can't fix that with a short comment towards the end. It's like saying at the end of an article that we can ignore all that we just read as it's a pile of nonsense. Why write nonsense in the first place? It's well known that chassis has big impact. And he doesn't present any evidence that it's processor's fault (like excessive power draw). He should have been talking about the laptop, not the processor. At best, this is an opinion piece. But it's not presented that way.

Bavani Sankar A B

>:(
Classic Intel-shill written article.
How, you ask?
Compared a thin form factor laptop to a bulky MSI laptop in sustained performance.
It's a miracle that the AMD kept up with the Intel CPU until then with such little thermal headroom.

You are deliberately painting AMD CPUs in bad light, by making an Apples to Oranges comparison.
People, look elsewhere for honest reviews.

Fırat Yalçın

At the end, the review should say that Ryzen beats Intel under similar conditions because it certainly will, and with half the TDP. You don't have to wait for OEMs to say that since performance drop is clearly a cooling issue and has nothing to do with the CPU itself. Such a shame this isn't clearly mentioned..

noss

fwiw, I have an i9 9880H in a NUC and it throttles constantly, it performs about on par with an 8th gen i5, no one is writing about that though!

worst purchase I've ever made

Joey Keilholz

Signed up just to say.... Wtf

You can't compare AMD in small laptop and blame them for manufacturer throttling. Clickbait. I was looking for the "gotcha" but it's just in the sinister nature of the article. Smh

deksman2

Quote from: noss on August 30, 2020, 02:11:14
fwiw, I have an i9 9880H in a NUC and it throttles constantly, it performs about on par with an 8th gen i5, no one is writing about that though!

worst purchase I've ever made

Intel CPU's do have a history of throttling badly in laptops and generally speaking in thermally constricted environments.
Though that CPU you have is hardly what I would call 'suitable' for a NUC.
45W TDP is only applicable for base clocks... when the thing pushes the clocks under load on all cores, power consumption will go up significantly.

Have you tried repasting the CPU with a higher quality thermal compound such as Kryonaut and undervolting the CPU perhaps?
It may not be ideal, but many people using laptops with Intel CPU's managed to get their temperatures well under control with these methods... perhaps you can try it too and see if it helps.

HaoDK

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview