News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Renoir laptops: Beating Intel at a third of the price, half the weight, and a fraction of the power

Started by Redaktion, July 18, 2020, 21:50:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD's latest mobile processor offerings have left Intel a bit red in the face - and for good reason. Renoir has brought significant performance improvements across the board, largely in the form of efficiency improvements. However, there is still one question to be asked: To what extent is AMD outperforming Intel's current offerings?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Renoir-laptops-Beating-Intel-at-a-third-of-the-price-half-the-weight-and-a-fraction-of-the-power.477274.0.html

ZODD

Sure they beat Intel with power but price being that much cheaper is not true.
I've found that many AMD laptops are just as expensive and sometimes more than the Intel counterparts.

AJW

As an owner of the HP 445 G7 (4700U), I'll note that this laptop is limited by the conservative TDP limits HP implemented into this particular laptop. More specifically, HP limited the upper TDP to 35 Watts and a temperature soft-limit of a conservative 80C (compared to the design limitation of 105C); likely to keep the laptop quiet. My testing with Ryzen Controller (v1.18.5), with the temperature soft-limit set at 95C allowed the HP 445 G7 (4700U) to achieve a Cinebench R20 multi score of 3005. The author of this article used a 445 G7 equipped with a 4500U.

metin

Loki Rautio

Quote from: metin on July 18, 2020, 22:27:25
Are you sure about renoir cpu image comment?
i believe all renoir cpu's has monolithic die
I was under the impression that not all of them are monolithic. However, I haven't been able to find evidence suggesting that online upon looking, so I've changed the comment on the image. Sorry for the confusion.

RSS

what Nvidia and Intel doing is disgusting, holding back AMD as intel afraid of the competition... Nvidia will not let AMD using their better chips as Intel pushing them not to, its so clear. Only solution for AMD is to release a gpu which can compete with 2080 for half price...

Rinnnnn

Hmmm...cheaper? Not, entirely true though. Maybe in some regions/countries, yes. But not everywhere else. In my area, its around the same-ish price.

Alex544

Quote from: RSS on July 18, 2020, 23:02:31
what Nvidia and Intel doing is disgusting, holding back AMD as intel afraid of the competition... Nvidia will not let AMD using their better chips as Intel pushing them not to, its so clear. Only solution for AMD is to release a gpu which can compete with 2080 for half price...

uhm... manufacturers don't want AMD GPUs because they've historically been crap on laptops and is still worse than NVIDIA atm.

Anonymous

Yes, yes, we get the points, AMD is better and Intel is worse. We get the those facts.

Now, if only there's more choices of laptop using AMD and not being intensionally being dwarfed to the Intel counterpart, that would be great.

Mike Mischler

I just got a Lenovo Legion 5 with a 4800h and man this laptop flies around doing everything.  By far the fastest laptop i have ever owned and i have owned a lot.  Totally love and Lenovo did an excellent job cooling it. I am coming from an Alienware 15 with an i7 -8750h and I can even tell a difference in the processing power.  It is night and day for me!!!  Amazing job by Lenovo.  This is coming from a guy with a 3950x with a rtx 2080ti.  I am quite the power user and finally jumped on the AMD band wagon after 13 yrs of intel.  AMD did an awesome job finally on the processor front!

alexk

Quote from: Alex544 on July 19, 2020, 01:36:09
uhm... manufacturers don't want AMD GPUs because they've historically been crap on laptops and is still worse than NVIDIA atm.

You've misunderstood what he said: the problem is that these amazing laptops with AMD CPUs typically come with the mid-range Nvidia GPUs instead of top-of-the-range Nvidia GPUs. As such you cannot buy an 'ultimate laptop' today: you can get the best CPU (AMD laptop) but sacrifice a bit GPU, or alternatively you can get the best GPU (Nvidia laptop) but sacrifice CPU (Intel-based).

It is true that the AMD-based options typically come with worse GPUs (like Nvidia 1660) than their Intel counterparts.

So what he's saying is that as long as this situation persists, the only solution for AMD is to repeat its feat with CPUs on the GPU front: if AMD can come up with a GPU that is as good as Nvidia, then it can create entire packates (laptops) that are attractive as both GPU and CPU.

Abdul Moiz

This reeks of AMD fanboyism

Half the price ?? Really AMD that is paying TSM a markup to get their chips built and then adding their own margin offering a laptop of similar (double as per this dweeb) specs at half the price ??
Sure

I've never seen a mentionable difference in an AMD variant of laptop and that is during a time when AMD laptops were garbage in comparison to Intel

Chuck Norris

Quote from: AJW on July 18, 2020, 22:22:53
As an owner of the HP 445 G7 (4700U), I'll note that this laptop is limited by the conservative TDP limits HP implemented into this particular laptop. More specifically, HP limited the upper TDP to 35 Watts and a temperature soft-limit of a conservative 80C (compared to the design limitation of 105C); likely to keep the laptop quiet. My testing with Ryzen Controller (v1.18.5), with the temperature soft-limit set at 95C allowed the HP 445 G7 (4700U) to achieve a Cinebench R20 multi score of 3005. The author of this article used a 445 G7 equipped with a 4500U.

May I ask where did you manage to buy the 445 G7 with a 4700U?
In Germany I can't find it anywhere for sale.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview