News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Choosing the right web browser

Started by Redaktion, July 08, 2020, 05:28:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

All web browsers have the same basic purpose, but their differences are more than just stylistic. Here are the most important things to be aware of in terms of which software to surf the Internet with.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Choosing-the-right-web-browser.477398.0.html

Bjork

I think nowadays all browsers consume roughly the same resources, with not much performance difference. So, when it comes to privacy, another important criteria, Firefox provides the most transparency with great reputation. Firefox with tracking protection plus uBlock origin is the most usable privacy you can get.

A

I use chromium (not chrome) for general web browsing, FireFox for secure stuff (always been a fan of using a different browser for secure stuff like banks and ordering while another browser for surfing), FireFox Mobile for Android (due to the extension support, really its quite sad more people don't try firefox for android)

PS When will Safari finally support webp? They are the only ones left and it would save everyone quite a bit of bandwidth.

G

Chrome started having performance issues for me on all of my devices this year. Even Youtube playback on my beastly pc is not smooth anymore. I am thinking maybe Google is knowingly limiting performance because of the ublock origin extension that I use.

Luckily Firefox came to the rescue and I don't have any problems with it. It even works better than Chrome on macOS so I unified all my systems in one browser.

Yury

It's worth mentioning that the largest part of the budget of independent browsers comes from the deals with the search companies. Search companies are interested in traffic and ad sales and they pay enormous amounts of money to make their search a default option.

And those various search companies are likely to be just the only one - Google.

Firefox and Opera would have extremely hard time if Google terminates the deal. It's about $300 mln a year for Firefox, you can find this on the web.

Also, Opera browser was sold to a Chinese consortium in 2016.

RicoVIking9000

QuoteIt also takes up considerably more disk space than most other options, tipping the scales at nearly a hefty 500 GB.

Heh no wonder my paltry 256GB SSD is empty

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview