News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SFS Laptop Review: Visually subdued, acoustically conspicuous

Started by Redaktion, May 02, 2020, 21:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

While the GS65 had some difficulties against the competitors in many regards, MSI presents a completely updated successor with the GS66. Find out in our detailed review what has changed for the better.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS66-Stealth-10SFS-Laptop-Review-Visually-subdued-acoustically-conspicuous.463461.0.html

Tov

They should put the stronger 35w 4900HS in there and drop the price by 200US. Then they can have my money.

G R

This Intel 10th gen is way too hot, AMD 4900HS + 2070 super maxq would be much better, faster cooler and cheaper.. but unfortunately nvidia will not authorize 2070/2080 with amd cpu anytime soon. Why? Intel might have power to push Nvidia to delay as long as the new GPU arrive so AMD is always behind, the only solution would be releasing an AMD gpu which could beat 2080 super for half price....

5600xtmaster

On the one hand literally every big YT channel or site explained this in great detail: AMD is hard to sell, AMD has bad history, AMD need to prove its value to OEM manufacturers etc....

On the other hand this CPU performance is total meh

QuoteFrom the theoretically possible 5.3 GHz, only 4.3 to 4.9 GHz remain during single-core load. When all the cores are loaded, the clock speed drops to 3.6 - 3.9 GHz

Uxzil

I feel the review docked quite a few points from the i9 processor. If the review unit was the 6 core i7 then the score would probably be higher (less fan noise, lower temp, better battery life etc). The i7 model is also much more reasonably priced. I just preordered one in Canada with 10750H all other specs identical to the review unit and it's 2900 CAD (~1835 euro or 2000 usd)

Mihai

Quote from: 5600xtmaster on May 02, 2020, 23:54:06AMD is hard to sell, AMD has bad history, AMD need to prove its value to OEM manufacturers etc....

They got to start from somewhere and prove they're worthy of the best laptop configurations out there. I do hope 2020 is the year AMD starts to get some grip in the laptop arena, to prove people they can deliver more than Intel. And probably we'll see in 2021 some of the higher end configurations powered by AMD. My only hope is that vendors won't get intimidated by Intel and get stuck in some really bad contracts which will force consumers use their cpu's.
As much as I used Intel (and still use Intel), I cannot deny the benefits AMD showed with this new Gen of CPUs. That's really awesome and good for the industry. Enough of having Intel mocking consumers with revamped CPUs and security issues.

Anonz

Imagine putting your whole life and soul to create the "perfect" gaming laptop only to get an 83% overall review. What a waste of effort.

Jim Sks

These processors aren't simply worth the price they're asking. And MSI still can't build a laptop with sensible fan noise. 83% might even be too generous when manufacturers don't even get the basics right after decades of experience.

william blake

Quote from: G R on May 02, 2020, 22:32:31
This Intel 10th gen is way too hot, AMD 4900HS + 2070 super maxq would be much better, faster cooler and cheaper.. but unfortunately nvidia will not authorize 2070/2080 with amd cpu anytime soon. Why? Intel might have power to push Nvidia to delay as long as the new GPU arrive so AMD is always behind, the only solution would be releasing an AMD gpu which could beat 2080 super for half price....
my point of view
1. all 8-core renoirs are all the same
2. 150w 2080 is too power hungry for for the "slim& light gaming" trend, max-q 80w versions or 2080 and 2070 are not too far from 2060 80w.
3. so, the best combo for the "slim& light gaming" is
8-core renoir+2060 for more working-gaming or 6 core renoir+2060 for pure gaming.
4. intel cpus are useless simply because they steals power/cooling/noise limit from the gpu
5. better than 2060 is a price premium. a bunch of money for a little more fps.

_MT_

Quote from: 5600xtmaster on May 02, 2020, 23:54:06
On the other hand this CPU performance is total meh
Since when is 1500+ sustained in Cinebench meh performance? That's pretty good even against Renoir. It's certainly not record breaking but raw performance isn't the problem of this processor or laptop. It's the power draw and resulting heat. That's where AMD kicks a**. It's really incredible what the 15 W Renoirs can do.

It's kind of funny when the article criticizes the drop and the chart shows that the 9750H laptops (laptops they chose to compare against) have very similar drop and that the 10980HK offers about 50 % more. 50 % more with just two extra cores, in a heat constrained scenario. Yes, the x750H makes sense in the Intel's stable. It's the reasonable choice. And yes, some OEMs are greedy when it comes to pricing (it's crazy when Apple is on the cheap side). So yes, the value can be questionable (even when you put AMD aside). But not necessarily because of Intel. OEMs have a lot to do with it.

_MT_

Quote from: william blake on May 03, 2020, 13:11:23
1. all 8-core renoirs are all the same
Really? I though not all of them have SMT. Which can make a significant difference, depending on workload.

william blake

Quote from: _MT_ on May 03, 2020, 16:33:43
Since when is 1500+ sustained in Cinebench meh performance?
you say exactly what he said-considering the price and power consumption, 1500 is meh.

william blake

Quote from: _MT_ on May 03, 2020, 16:41:11
Really? I though not all of them have SMT. Which can make a significant difference, depending on workload.
we are talking about gaming/working laptops.
the difference between 4800h/4800hs/4900h/4900hs is not as significant that someone could say-give me this instead of that.
4700u~4600u

william blake

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/37680-asus-zenbook-14-ux434flc-um433iq/

look at this guys.
exactly how amd vs intel should look like.
the reviewer is too shy tho to told us the truth-amd product is a full tier faster.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview