News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14, T14s & T15 with AMD Ryzen Pro 4000 (and Intel Comet Lake) announced

Started by Redaktion, February 24, 2020, 15:04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

m53

Quote from: william blake on February 25, 2020, 00:53:01
Quote from: Thinkpad Fan on February 24, 2020, 20:56:01
No Ethernet on the AMD T14? What a joke. First you completely solder all of the ram, then you take away Ethernet on one of the models.
intel T14s has no ethernet too. but seemingly people don't care about it.

Shhhhhhh. Quiet... Let the fanboys express their daily grievance.

Thinkpad Fan

Quote from: m53 on February 25, 2020, 00:58:12
No Ethernet on the AMD T14? What a joke. First you completely solder all of the ram, then you take away Ethernet on one of the models.

To be fair, the T490s didn't have Ethernet. I don't think people were expecting the T14s to suddenly re-introduce it, especially with the slow reduction of feature

A

Those specs look pretty good, Especially the 32gb ram.

As for those complaining about no Ethernet, it isn't a big deal. There is like what 6 USB ports? I have a USB3 to Ethernet adapter I can use if I need ethernet. I'd rather take USB ports over an Ethernet port.

@nonameT1400 - Thunderbolt 3 was opened up for everyone. Plus, its not like this is the 1st AMD motherboard with thunderbolt.

I mentioned before that thunderbolt on AMD laptops are highly likely, but no one believed me : /

Thinkpad Fan

Quote from: A on February 25, 2020, 02:17:00
As for those complaining about no Ethernet, it isn't a big deal. There is like what 6 USB ports? I have a USB3 to Ethernet adapter I can use if I need ethernet.
You're missing the point of having built-in ethernet in the first place: convenience. I'd much rather spend my money on a Dell product than have to deal with maintaining a dongle and a ThinkPad.

ariliquin

Lenovo, stop thinking of AMD as your budget option, times have changed, you need to. TIme to realise AMD also has the top Performance option with better thermals. Get with it and offer us some high end AMD options. Not purchasing another Yoga top model until its AMD with 4k quality screen and Nvidia graphics. .

wtf lenovo go to hell

Quote from: Thinkpad Fan on February 25, 2020, 01:47:11
Quote from: m53 on February 25, 2020, 00:58:12

To be fair, the T490s didn't have Ethernet. I don't think people were expecting the T14s to suddenly re-introduce it, especially with the slow reduction of feature

s suffix models are ultra mobile versions with several tradeofs between size, weight, I/O ports and functions. Versions without s suffixes should be full power flagships of T serries not some fucking fashion ultrabook. A lot of jobs requeire dedicated ethernet. Using ethernet over USB is not a feature but a HUGE design flaw.

Seriously, what Lenovo thinks it is the main difference between thinkpads and Ideadpads?

New thinkpads are becoming more and more a military grade golden bricks. I dont need golden brick for my job, I need enterprice grade laptop with all needed I/O ports, good CPU, good termal, good screen.

I don't buy laptop that can survive a fire but cannot connect to the Internet with solid wire.

Georgiy

Quotewith the new AMD Ryzen Pro 4000 CPUs

However, the attached pdfs say,
Up to 3rd generation AMD Ryzen R7 PRO professors

Fred

Seems good to me. I haven't needed wired internet in at least a decade at this point. It's nice to finally remove it.

What sort of effect on the battery life can I expect with the HD screen?

When can I buy one?

A

@Thinkpad Fan - I am not missing anything. If we want to talk about convenience, more USB ports are more convenient than an Ethernet port. The thing about ethernet is that you don't use it on the go, you use it sitting down. In those scenarios, bringing out an adapter is not an issue.

Technically speaking, I rarely even use my Ethernet to USB adapter either. I only use it if I wish to stream 4k video or something. Otherwise, I prefer to use a tiny travel router. I plug it into the Ethernet, and now I have internet on my laptop, mobile phone and all my other devices.

With the advent of USB4 where more things are moving to USB from charging to HDMI and etc, I'd prefer more USB ports any day.

Thinkpad Fan

Quote from: A on February 25, 2020, 22:10:30
The thing about ethernet is that you don't use it on the go, you use it sitting down. In those scenarios, bringing out an adapter is not an issue.
You see, this is the issue. You're telling me how I use my device when I know for a fact that's wrong. The one time I forget to bring my ethernet adapter is gonna be the one time I forget or lose it, so no it's not an adequate solution. Plus, I use ethernet regularly in a lot of scenarios, testing switches, diagnosing wifi routers and even fixing my PS4 when it randomly dies on me. Bridging wifi to ethernet is great but it rarely works properly with these adapters.
If you don't use something, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Sure, another USB port is great, but if adapters are so good, just plug in a hub into the TB3 port and do that. If you don't think that's practical, you see where I'm coming from. Same exact problem, except you care about that.

william blake

Quote from: Georgiy on February 25, 2020, 13:41:28
with the new AMD Ryzen Pro 4000 CPUs
However, the attached pdfs say,
Up to 3rd generation AMD Ryzen R7 PRO professors
2000 first gen
3000 second
4000 third

A

@Thinkpad Fan - I'm not telling you how to use it, simply pointing out most common usages.

As for losing your Ethernet adapter, how about just buy spares? I keep one in my laptop bag and have some in the house. So I would never lose it if I need it because I don't take it out.

As for the travel router, I've used it to debug another router, it worked fine. Most travel routers have multiple configurations, so I can imagine people having issues, especially if the manufacturer poorly configures the default. But once its configured, its pretty much plug and play.

As for your suggestion of using thunderbolt dock. Here is the difference, again, when you are using Ethernet, you are tethered to something via Ethernet. But the same doesn't apply to USB. And USB is more versatile too. For the size of an ethernet port, you can fit 2 USB-C connectors. And 999/1000 would pick the USB. I am sorry if you are the 1/1000. But you can't blame manufacturers for making decisions which would bring in the most sales.

Dan Ridenhour

Lenovo has really gutted the thinkpad line of everything that make them the go-to choice... now quite literally the only thing they have left going for them is the keyboard+trackpoint...  and the recent thinkbooks imply they would like to get rid of those features too.    What a waste.   Thats two generations now that aren't even on my radar as valid choices anymore when I didn't use to even consider anything else.

Thinkpad Fan

Quote from: A on February 26, 2020, 01:24:27
As for losing your Ethernet adapter, how about just buy spares? I keep one in my laptop bag and have some in the house. So I would never lose it if I need it because I don't take it out.

As for the travel router, I've used it to debug another router, it worked fine. Most travel routers have multiple configurations, so I can imagine people having issues, especially if the manufacturer poorly configures the default. But once its configured, its pretty much plug and play.

As for your suggestion of using thunderbolt dock. Here is the difference, again, when you are using Ethernet, you are tethered to something via Ethernet. But the same doesn't apply to USB. And USB is more versatile too. For the size of an ethernet port, you can fit 2 USB-C connectors. And 999/1000 would pick the USB. I am sorry if you are the 1/1000. But you can't blame manufacturers for making decisions which would bring in the most sales.
- Buying spares? Really? Spend more money instead of buying something else that's actually competent? lol, no way dude. I'd rather get a cheaper machine with all the features I need than compromise on an expensive T14.

- I'm not talking about travel routers, I'm talking about network hardware in general. I'm not sure what magic network hardware your using that works 100% of the time, but I've never had such luck.

- Removing a useful port from the chassis isn't generating any sales, I'll tell you that much. Given that the AMD model is cheaper at base model, if anything they're just screwing networking techs into buying the Intel model. NOBODY who seriously uses rj45 for work wants to deal with the bullshit of those dongles, and I mean nobody. If lenovo wanted more sales by slapping more ports on the device, they'd just add them. However, most of their ThinkPad sales are pretty much enterprise space (apparently) so it's not like consumer opinions matter very much to them. They're just glad to screw over business customers and force them to buy their dongles and such. (IIRC the T14 amd version still has the weird docking connector that effectively serves as a proprietary eth port)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview