News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Books S with Snapdragon 8cx and the promise of 25 hours of battery life

Started by Redaktion, February 07, 2020, 09:37:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After first being announced in August, Samsung's long-awaited Galaxy Books S is finally here. Setting it apart from the competition is its ultra-light sub-1 kg weight and incredible claimed battery life of 25 hours. Has the wait been worth it?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Hands-on-Samsung-Galaxy-Books-S-with-Snapdragon-8cx-and-the-promise-of-25-hours-of-battery-life.453178.0.html

Tomatotttt

"It is fitted with two USB-C ports configured to support USB 3.1 transfer speeds up to 10 Mbps."

Hummmm :D

anon

QuoteAndroid smartphone charger over USB-C is icing on the cake.

My Asus Zephyrus M laptop can do this as well. It's such a useful feature that I won't want to buy any laptop that can't, and now thankfully they come in the performance end, like mine with an rtx 2070, and now this galaxy book s on the endurance side.

S.Yu

There's definitely more to this x86/ARM issue than meets the eye.
For starters, again, does it run Android apps? If not then usefulness is greatly reduced.
Also the ARM port of Windows apps may not behave in the same way as the original, which generally means a downgrade, for example Onenote, if it behaves like Android Onenote then heavy users can say bye bye because what Android Onenote is to the original is essentially what Adobe Reader is to Adobe Acrobat, if the gap isn't greater. Also Onenote itself is not as customizable or as capable as Onenote 2016, which is Windows-specific.

Graham

I've had one for a couple weeks now. I took a punt on it the day it was released, crossing my fingers that it would run the software I wanted it too. It's the favourite laptop I've owned - especially the "always on" and long battery. It's fantastic simply pressing a button and having Windows loaded up within a tenth of a second. No shutting down, no booting up, it makes all the difference in the world. And yes, it has run almost every application that I've installed on it except frustratingly for dropbox! In terms of Android apps, I run them on it using Dex for PC and plugging my phone in. All up, it's a fantastic device!

marcopolomint

Quote from: Graham on February 10, 2020, 11:59:36
And yes, it has run almost every application that I've installed on it except frustratingly for dropbox!

This is my concern. The fact that it's up to individual developers to recompile their apps for ARM. I wouldn't want to be limited to have to use OneDrive for file syncing when on the go - users also need Dropbox and Box, especially as this is likely to be a secondary computer for road warriors. (Box in particular are lazy - there have been so many requests for a Linux desktop client over the years, so who knows if they'll get around to an WoA version...)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview