News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra looks worse than could have been imagined

Started by Redaktion, January 23, 2020, 23:23:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A new day, and a new set of leaks about the Galaxy S20 series. These, as most tend to, purport to be the most accurate yet, and they do not show the S20 Ultra in a good light. Who knew that Samsung could go bigger than Google and Apple?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Samsung-Galaxy-S20-Ultra-looks-worse-than-could-have-been-imagined.451206.0.html

Katsutami87

QuoteLet us take a step back from marvelling at the spec sheet for a moment though, and concentrate on its design.
1) Design is not about just looks and aesthetics.
2) "let's concentrate on looks" - but why? Why should anybody care how a smartphone looks, at least care THAT much?

QuoteThe Galaxy S20 Ultra will be an excellent smartphone, that should go without saying.
If it will have screen with curved edges (again) - no, it won't be an excellent smartphone. Curved edges for the screen are absolutely pointless, unpractical and uncomfortable - which is unacceptable for a smart_phone. Yes, any smartphone from any company that has curved edges screen is not smart. And this topic is much more appropriate to focus on than "lack of aesthetics".

Killler007

You know, opinions on the curved screen vary. Having a flat screen is far from being a major opinion.
However, current leaks show that while S20 will be almost completely flat, S20 Ultra screen will retain some of the curve; but not the 3D one as found on S10. It will be curved less.

S.Yu

Quote from: Katsutami87 on January 24, 2020, 00:13:36
1) Design is not about just looks and aesthetics.
Well unless there's something wrong with the usability, which happened with Huawei and Sony, it's mostly the looks.
Quote from: Katsutami87 on January 24, 2020, 00:13:36
2) "let's concentrate on looks" - but why? Why should anybody care how a smartphone looks, at least care THAT much?
Because there's nothing else for most consumers to go on. I'm still amazed by how my aunt bought an SUV without even knowing the displacement nor the cylinder number of the engine. You far overestimate the masses. They buy from vague word of mouth, i.e. "it's pretty good"/"it has 'good megapixel'[sic]"/"it's laggy", and the looks.

S.Yu

I still say nex3's round setup is the best, aesthetically, but it probably wastes too much space housing the periscope in a setup like that. Also the  old strip down the middle works too, but they used that for too many generations?

Raj

As long as the phone can shoot excellent pictures no one cares how the phone looks. Article bait

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Raj on January 24, 2020, 18:54:34
As long as the phone can shoot excellent pictures no one cares how the phone looks. Article bait

No, you may not care how a smartphone looks. Others do.
Considering that I published an opinion piece alongside an article covering the publication of the same renders, I fail to see how it is "article bait".

Katsutami87

Quote from: Alex Alderson on January 25, 2020, 01:28:36
Quote from: Raj on January 24, 2020, 18:54:34

No, you may not care how a smartphone looks. Others do.
Considering that I published an opinion piece alongside an article covering the publication of the same renders, I fail to see how it is "article bait".

OK, others care how a smartphone looks. First - why should they do this? Second - why are you, as a journalist, encouraging them to do this?

Why it feels like an "article bait" - because this "opinion" is worthless. Functions of a smartphone are much more important than its looks - it's not an "opinion", it's a fact.

John Smith Hill

The camera housing is ugly cause of the 100x zoom but i agree could of been done better. But i'll be honest if it has a good camera i'll let the ugly design slide.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview