News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Pro 7 Core i5 Review: More Like a Surface Pro 6.5

Started by Redaktion, November 19, 2019, 18:27:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Surface Pro 7 doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant a whole digit upgrade over the Surface Pro 6. Unless if you really value the integrated USB Type-C port or Iris Plus graphics update, last year's model will suffice.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-7-Core-i5-Review-More-Like-a-Surface-Pro-6-5.442851.0.html

S.Yu

Yeah...but 6 was already like a 5.5, so this is arguably a 6, or 5.9 for continued lack of improvement.

4sofnature

88% for such a crippled upgrade? Here's why I think the SP7's score should be lower:
Many comparison benchmarks only account for Surface products while omitting potential competitors like iPad Pro, Tab S6, and traditional convertibles. One one hand not many other manufacturers find it a practical form factor for running Windows 10. On the other hand in real world usage competitor deliver fuller experience rather than a little of everything like SP7.
While XPS 13 2 in 1 only receives 86% score, compared to SP7 it has better built quality, brighter/less reflective screen, Thunderbolt 3, larger trackpad, more comfortable laptop experience, better performance, less thermal throttling.
Those running dedicated tablet OS like iPad Pro and Samsung Tab S6 may not look as professional but they are better suited for everyday use.
All in all, the Surface Pro line used to boast a bright future when RT was launched in 2012. However since then they have kept making marginal upgrades and omitting major flaws of this form factor.

Digitalguy

Your battery life results and comparisons don't match other reviews. First, battery capacity is not the same, it has gone down from 45wh to 42wh (see ifixit). Second, other reviewers found surface pro 6 to do slightly batter than the pro 5 in terms of battery life and here your pro 5 is 16% better than pro 7 and even more than pro 6. So it doesn't add up.
Battery life has decreased compared to pro 5 and 6.

Usawinston

MR MAHDI KHAJOO KERMANI

Why an i5 tablet is being compared to other i7 machines or last generation i7 models in this review?

Lack of thunderbolt 3 is really a shame.

xpclient

Should have had Thunderbolt 3 absolutely and also a brighter HDR panel. Physical touchpad buttons on its keyboard will also be a major upgrade.

GrosseFatigue

- I would not use Microsoft keyboard. I hate the fabric. I would use the Brydge. Dont care if it is even thicker. The Brydge is lacking an extended battery which would make the Surface Pro a small Surface Book. Almost.

- It is not a Touch screen like the XPS 13.3 2 in 1 which is useless and drive prices up. It has a screen that accept a 4096 pressure sensitive pen for drawing. I am not sure why Notebook check does not emphasize that difference between the XPS 2 in 1 and the Surface Pro. Dell 15 2 in 1 has such a screen but I prefer 3.2 form factor for drawing.

S.Yu

Quote from: GrosseFatigue on November 24, 2019, 02:30:43
- I would not use Microsoft keyboard. I hate the fabric. I would use the Brydge. Dont care if it is even thicker. The Brydge is lacking an extended battery which would make the Surface Pro a small Surface Book. Almost.

- It is not a Touch screen like the XPS 13.3 2 in 1 which is useless and drive prices up. It has a screen that accept a 4096 pressure sensitive pen for drawing. I am not sure why Notebook check does not emphasize that difference between the XPS 2 in 1 and the Surface Pro. Dell 15 2 in 1 has such a screen but I prefer 3.2 form factor for drawing.
I wouldn't say a touchscreen is useless, for example it makes you almost ambidextrous as all touch operation with a left hand is nearly as easy as as with a right hand, so sometimes using a left hand to reach for the screen is faster.
But then I still use a mouse so I guess my use case isn't that common.

Dan Ridenhour

Any idea why the contrast is so much lower on the Pro 7 considering they have used the same screen solution for multiple iterations now.

If they would just add thunderbolt 3 to the USb-c port this would be a no brainer... but my guess is they only have so many PCIe lanes and have to choose between 'their dock' and thunderbolt3.   I can understand them holding onto it but its a losing proposition in the long run.

Tiago

It's a shame this is (to the best of my knowledge) the only 10th gen tablet/2in1 form factor available on the market, reason being it doesn't sport Thunderbolt 3. I have recently acquired a Latitude 5290 2in1 which along with the upgraded 7200, carry 8th gen (standard then refresh on the 7200) and DOUBLE TB3 ports (optionally though). Thunderbolt 3 is now essential to turn these little machines into desktop replacements with a portable external GPU (eGPU). I have been both gaming and being productive for work with it and there's nothing quite like in the price range. There are alternatives (namely the Lenovo X1 Tablet 2018, large, crisper screen) and the HP Elite X2, both pushing maybe a little harder on performance due to size (both) and dual fans (on the later), but with a bit of throttlestopping, I've gotten my 5290 capped out at 85º and running like a champ with an external 1070. I also dock it to LAN, keyboard, mouse, a SATA 3 HDD or SSD, and have 2x USB-A and 1x USB-C to spare on my Omen Accelerator box, which go figure, costs about the same if not less used than any of MS, HP, Thinkpad or even Dell's own docks. And if that's too large for you (because it IS massive) and wanna carry it around, there's always stuff like the GPU pre-fitted Aorus gaming box (no LAN, USB LAN costs 5 bucks tho) or a modified Node Lite with TB3 passthrough/daisy-chain capability, which you can then dock to a 20USD USB-C dongle with all of the above (USB-A, LAN and even more power delivery, although I digress on the later, might as well plug it on the 5290's second port).

adrian

Hello,

Can you please make available that ICM calibration profile that was mentioned in the review. I do not have the right knowledge to do that manually by looking at those pictures.

Thank you!

Lee Salter

I'm baffled! I've had Surfaces ever since RT (incl Books and Pros) and use Notebookcheck as the only reliable guide - most recently to purchse the Surface 7 i5. I can't understand how you get the battery life you mention in the review. If I have the wifi on, I get 4-5 hours max. I've gone through evey suggested solution, and returned for a replacement this week. The brand new replacement gets ... 4-5 hours.

So I would love to know

1. how dd you get 7+ hours if you actually use it (I've managed 6.5 by leaving it on without touching it)?

2. Why you gave it such a high rating when A it is a "portable" device that cannot be used portably when the battery is so poor and B any use whatsoever shows Microsoft's 10.5 hours battery is quite simply a lie (I've not seen any review that gives more than 7.5 hours)

Surely you should rate laptops in terms of manufacturers' stated function - i.e. if it's a portable device, great performance is a welcome bonus, but a poor battery life should be a major no-no. Time to revisit the review?

S.Yu

Quote from: Lee Salter on April 15, 2020, 15:13:31
I'm baffled! I've had Surfaces ever since RT (incl Books and Pros) and use Notebookcheck as the only reliable guide - most recently to purchse the Surface 7 i5. I can't understand how you get the battery life you mention in the review. If I have the wifi on, I get 4-5 hours max. I've gone through evey suggested solution, and returned for a replacement this week. The brand new replacement gets ... 4-5 hours.

So I would love to know

1. how dd you get 7+ hours if you actually use it (I've managed 6.5 by leaving it on without touching it)?

2. Why you gave it such a high rating when A it is a "portable" device that cannot be used portably when the battery is so poor and B any use whatsoever shows Microsoft's 10.5 hours battery is quite simply a lie (I've not seen any review that gives more than 7.5 hours)

Surely you should rate laptops in terms of manufacturers' stated function - i.e. if it's a portable device, great performance is a welcome bonus, but a poor battery life should be a major no-no. Time to revisit the review?
Wow that's bad, I got longer out of a 2015-end 12" quad core standard voltage Broadwell, set to <15% brightness with all battery saving on and only running Edge.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview