News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Google Pixel 4 still feels like an overly elaborate joke

Started by Redaktion, October 20, 2019, 15:30:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It's been almost a week since Google unveiled the Pixel 4 phones in New York but it's still baffling just how poor the phones are—the smaller Pixel 4, in particular. In fact, some choices by the company were so off the mark that one could almost be led to believe that the entire thing was a joke.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Google-Pixel-4-still-feels-like-an-overly-elaborate-joke.439033.0.html

Bennn

I don't think you need a review to judge the price, or the relatively small battery, or the removal of unlimited uncompressed Google Photo backups, or the removal of the headphone jack, or the exclusion of 4K60 videos...

The list goes on. Remember that this is supposed to be a premium "flagship" device, but it certainly doesn't live up to a flagship standard other than the camera (excluding video) or the 90hz display

Barts

Preach on, Ricci!  I've been wanting to get a Pixel several years now, but every time I see it it's disappointing, be it the design (last year's notch, Pixel 2 chin) or the internals (4GB RAM last year on a flagship when everyone else was doing 6-8GB; this year's battery).

Google should be selling these in limited numbers, less for immediate revenue and more as a model for other android phones to adopt: fast Android updates, experimental designs, etc.  If it insists on making "flagship" phones that are behind other Android flagships, then focus on Pixel Xa/Nexus approach of midrange phones. 

Terrible value.  As soon as my LG G7 passes on--which I bought because the Pixel 3XL was so ugly and underpowered--I'm getting and iPhone even though I've never liked Apple much.

Villanova Blue

I have the Xiaomi Mi 9 with a 3300mah battery and whilst not perfect it's ok. The phone has a 6.4 inch screen. I suspect XL will be just fine bearing in mind the screen is smaller. I've pre-ordered one and I'm perfectly happy. No gimmicks but great software integration. It's always a polarising device but guess what they still keep making it. Every other manufacturer has also messed up Samsung, Apple and LG I'm looking at you. How about an Android device that is always up to flamin' date oh hello Pixel and Android One also.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Villanova Blue on October 20, 2019, 19:36:59
I have the Xiaomi Mi 9 with a 3300mah battery and whilst not perfect it's ok.

Doesn't explain why Google reduced the battery while raising the display refresh rate to 90 Hz, though.

Bloo

Even though I agree and would never buy this phone.. sorry but you as reviewer and in tech website can't just say new piece of tech is a joke. Every new tech is welcome and there's a place for it in the world.
Also whoever are planning this phone basically you're calling them fools to their faces.

gok

felt the same way. I was waiting for this to upgrade from my pixel 2, but this is so underwhelming in almost every department. battery, processor, camera, bezels, etc. sure this will have stock android and fastest updates, but that doesn't add much to functionality. Unless i can grab this for few hundred off of msrp during black friday sales, I might just jump to iphone this time.

S.Yu

"I had strong opinions on the Galaxy Note 10 but it may as well be a masterpiece when compared to the Pixel 4."
lol! Yes, the other leading manufacturers make strange and disappointing decisions but Google is clearly the worst. As I mentioned before (maybe here maybe GSMA) this feels like a developer's testbed rather than a consumer device, its pricing and features only make sense as such.

S.Yu

Quote from: Bloo on October 20, 2019, 20:14:25
whoever are planning this phone basically you're calling them fools to their faces.
And whoever gave the nod to this deserves it :)

drspychology

Yeah, I don't get the pixel hype. No headphone jack, no expandable storage, slow internal storage, single sim card slot, no fingerprint reader, no ultrawide camera, huge bezels for something that frankly doesn't work well or is even useful, tiny battery,... I'd take most sub-€300 phones over this monstrosity!

Docinabox

Once 4K 60FPS is enabled then where are you going to back it up  to ?
Upload to YouTube?
Atleast for me it makes the only sense, as I have unlimited data plan. I pay usd$99 for the 2TB Google ONE plan but that will fill up fast with 4k content once I upgrade the older pixels I got for the rest of my family ... we have been using their unlimited original quality  storage since 2016 when the original pixel came out.
Considering how much storage YouTube goes through, Google photos backups limited to 1080p does not make sense.

We now have two tiers:
3a /4a tier
The pixel 1, 2, 3, 4

I wonder if Google is planning on a Google pixel PRO line with 5G connectivity, Faster and larger storage and fingerprint reader in the side bezel /underscreen? If so this could add back OG quality back up for 4k video. This could justify why Google is creating a device (PIXEL4) that is so polarizing b/w the tech enthusiast and the average user.

I would be interested in a subscription plan to such a pro phone via Google to ensure I don't have to sweat about find a decent buyback /trade in option.

narm

Quote from: Bloo on October 20, 2019, 20:14:25
Even though I agree and would never buy this phone.. sorry but you as reviewer and in tech website can't just say new piece of tech is a joke. Every new tech is welcome and there's a place for it in the world.
Also whoever are planning this phone basically you're calling them fools to their faces.

LOL! These aren't marginalized groups of people, this is a product meant to be sold and create profits.

Otherwise, this opinion is spot on. For 800$ that is an absolutely pathetic piece of hardware. What on earth could compel someone to buy this

bengoey

I bought the original 2016 Pixel, the battery was 2770mAh. After three months it developed a fault and was replaced under warranty. Battery life has never been good, it is even worse now after nearly three years. for the last two years I use it mainly as a camera without a sim card in it and use other Android phone as my ' Phone ' for calls, Whatsapp etc. I agree 100% with the reviewer regarding the Pixel 4. If I were to buy a top of the range phone I would buy an iPhone 11.  Small battery and the price prevent me from even considering it as my next phone. Although in general iPhones are expensive, in the long run they are more economical if you consider the length of updates and the quality of the hardware.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview